Forums Latest Members

New York Fall Auctions Preview

1. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Nov 28, 2012

We're about to head into preview weekend for four watch auctions in New York - time to scope out the Zeniths. They are pretty sparse this year, but interesting.

Bonhams saved all of its Zeniths for their London sale, so I won't be stopping in there. Sothebys is similarly clean.
    Antiquorum has another Luna Luxe. They first auctioned this reference in yellow gold in Nov 2011, when it made nearly 27000 swiss francs, a price that struck me as really over the top.
    After all, Caso watches in Naples, not known for modest pricing, did not ask more than 15000Euros for one.

[​IMG]

According to Roessler, there are 61 of these kicking around. Not one of my favorite designs, not least because that bracelet made of plates of battleship armor is none too comfortable on my wrist, it is impressive for sheer weight of gold. Impressive and desirable are two different things however. I will stop in at Antiquorum and fondle it. I doubt I'll bid. MMMD called it a "safe queen" which is exactly right IMO. It is estimated at $12-18K. With a caseback inscription and worn pushers, I think that's about right.

[​IMG]

Christies has an A 386 which looks proper to my eye. The second hand is a correct replacement, and the case seems to retain its sharp bevels, so it may well be unpolished. This is a good, correct example. A 386s on Ebay can do better than the estimate ($3-5K), and that combined with the fact that Aurel Bacs knows how run an auction makes me think it'll exceed the upper limit. It would be a personal satisfaction to me if it would take the record for this reference ($7000) from that abomination/forgery that currently holds it thanks to some clueless deep-pocket buyer and not terribly well-informed seller (Antiquorum)

[​IMG]

Anyone coming for the previews?

2. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Nov 28, 2012

will be in nyc on dec. 10 for some business so might drop by antiquorum.

3. ulackfocus Nov 28, 2012

Shoot me a PM or text. I think I'm off that day.

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 28, 2012

That's the same auction the faux-Neptune is in, be interesting to see that one up close.

5. georgetownhoya Dec 8, 2012

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 8, 2012

7. ulackfocus Dec 8, 2012

That blog makes a nice little promo for their auctions. :thumbsup:

pssst - Georgetown is a college and Hoyas is the nickname of their sports teams.

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 8, 2012

Oh :p I don't know any US colleges

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 8, 2012

Estimate on that A386 is :
    Estimate (Set Currency)

• $3,000 - $5,000

• I'm wondering how high its going to go?

10. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Dec 9, 2012

Perhaps, but care to explain this cryptic sentence from their post to me?

"Considering most watches primarily use an anchor escapement, which is over two and a half centuries old, the automatic chronograph is a relatively new invention."

I suppose the author is from the PR side of Christies, rather than Watch Department staff.

11. georgetownhoya Dec 9, 2012

Yep, definitely PR side.

12. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Dec 9, 2012

Just back from auction previews - the overall impression is what a lot of Vacherons - some nice, some not - on the block.
    Here's a little seasonal shot from out front of Christies - Rock Center Christmas tree is up and mobbed despite nasty weather
    [​IMG]

First up, the A 386. Date changes appropriately, chrono stops and starts smoothly, resents just a hair to the left of TDC. The case is unpolished and edges are sharp, but lots of swirlies. The caseback shot will give you a sense of the condition of the metal as a whole. Crown is a replacement with the square logo, of appropriate size, and the second hand is too, as you can see from the different shade of lume. Dial is darker than most, with light spotting of the tachymeter bezel. Subdial pigement is intact. It comes on a nice leather strap that complements its state of wear, and with the appropriate buckle (the one with 'Zenith' written out on the crossbar of the frame).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This piece makes a much better impression in person than in pics. It has a mellow patina, has clearly seen use, and it has not been babied. On the other hand, it's owner has been scrupulous not to have it polished, which is a plus. It's a very honest example that I wouldn't turn down at all. If you're looking for NOS, this ain't it. If you're a patina lover that likes watches to look 'lived in,' you could do a lot worse.

The way A 386s are going, I think this is a good buy anywhere within estimate, and even above. I'd certainly take it over the rancid fake that currently holds the record at USD7000 (Nov2011) for this reference, but that was a travesty.

13. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Dec 9, 2012

Next up is the Luna Luxe. I wasn't able to check the day-date-moonphase correctors. The chronograph does not work - the start button does not engage anything. The Antiquorum fellows seemed to think it was an easy fix, but declined to open the piece. The piece is in very good condition, particularly the bracelet. Case swirlies attest to some use, but case shape is definitely preserved, and the beveled facet along the edge of the case which is quickly obliterated with polishing is still present. Dial is pristine. Moonphase disc is a little dark but I'm nit picking. Caseback has inscription - 1st Place, Sales Manager, Chicago Sweepstakes - you know the one. The bracelet is in very good shape, and is marked Gay Freres in response to somebody's question. Because of the slight difference in the condition of the bracelet and case, I'm guessing the was worn without the bracelet for a time. However, the shades of gold match and the bracelet unquestionably belongs to the watch. It is not nearly as pink as it appears Antiquorums phtogoraphy. - I wouldn't call it pink at all. Appropriate gold hallmarks on bracelet and case. Bracelet and watch weight is unknown.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

here's that edge bevel
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

looks pretty spiffy on the wrist, AND it's my size
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

bracelet will pay for college
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This watch was a pleasant surprise. I came ready not to like this much bling, but it really makes a very nice impression in the metal. I'm a little put off by the out of order chronograph.
    The last one sold made CHF 27000, which I regard as nonsense. I know I wouldn't pay the estimate on this one (USD 12-16K), mostly because this watches looses in comparison to other stuff one can get for that kind of money - a little too 1970s brutal/massive - but someone probably will.

Now, I tried to get a shot of the Neptune dial (which the Antiquorum staff were very quick to tell me was a replacement dial, without prompting), but it came out a little out of focus. it's probably for the best, as it ain't that pretty
    [​IMG]

Here's a nicely executed enamel dial from UG - subject doesn't interest me, but it was much prettier than ole' Neptune
    [​IMG]

14. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 9, 2012

Thing with that Neptune is, they are claiming its a service dial, and thus genuine, while personally I can't imagine Omega would ever put their name to a piece of crap like that. It just sucks too much to be genuine.

Regarding the moonphase EP, if its an easy fix, why don't they fix it before auction? I just keep wondering, would Christies do that?

15. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Dec 9, 2012

Well, they didn't know it was busted before I pointed it out to them.

16. ulackfocus Dec 9, 2012

Really? They don't check this kind of thing?

17. Veritas99 Dec 9, 2012

Thanks for the report. Interesting to see photos of the luna luxe under normal lighting conditions and to hear your thoughts on the A386.

Like Dennis, I can't believe that Antiquorum wouldn't test the functions of all the watches they're offering. How else do they give us a rating on the movement? Then again, these are the guys same that let through the A386 with a franken dial so buyer beware.

18. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 9, 2012

The condition report gives it: DETAILS 2* Very good (overhaul recommended, at buyer's expense)

So when rating that, they didn't try operating the chronograph :\

19. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Dec 9, 2012

The watches listed in any auction house for me is caveat emptor. I look at the pictures and if possible look at the watches in person and then I judge. The description of the auction house no matter who it is is not really something I look at unless it is for specific details like case or movement reference number etc. I have found at least for vintage omegas that the AQ grading has been frequently inaccurate especially when it comes to dial rating.

LouS likes this.
  20. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Dec 9, 2012

I think that's right. This is not the first time I have found defects not to be mentioned in auction listings and condition reports, and not only from Antiquorum. In some ways, buying from an auction house is more a pig in a poke than Ebay, where you can at least communicate with the seller relatively directly and specifically. The person who answers queries at an auction house may or may not know what they are talking about. Note the Christie's blogger - not a low-level customer service person, but their designated watch blogger - who writes that automatic chronographs somehow get by without an anchor escapement.

Cue curmudgeonly rant about things not being what they were, etc. Caveat emptor is all...