Forums Latest Members
  1. gregger77 Dec 31, 2015

Hi all,

Having lurked here for some time, thought I'd say hello and Happy New Year. I've been interested in vintage watches for some time but never made the leap (priority was getting at least one kid through college first). Recently my wife offered to fund something in the $1,000 range to get me started. So I've been doing homework, reading the various advice offered to first-time buyers, and of course obsessing over various listings.

Thanks to JohnSteed for the generous advice and information that went along with some PMs we've exchanged relating to a nice Seamaster he posted to the sales forum. Nice guy!

-- Greg

Nobel Prize, JohnSteed and PatrickJ like this.
  2. PatrickJ Dec 31, 2015

Did you get the watch or are you still doing homework? If you got the watch pics please.

3. JohnSteed Dec 31, 2015

Love helping new guys become old guys :)

Garv, gregger77 and CanberraOmega like this.
  4. gregger77 Jan 1, 2016

Hi Patrick, still in the homework phase. I know in another post you recommended to a fellow novice several months' study. Not sure if I have that much patience! We'll see.

JohnSteed and PatrickJ like this.
  5. PatrickJ Jan 1, 2016

U was quick to pull the trigger on my first seamaster purchased from a famous vintage dealer in London. They had a good reputation for vintage watches, you know a trusted dealer. To be fair there watches for the main part were original and they stated if the dial was refinished but all their watches were over polished, Another trusted dealer has been selling franken watches with wrong hands and some had been redials. I even once purchased a watch from a very well known omega forum member, when I sent a picture to another well known forum member who is a watchmaker he said the watch is likely to be a redial from the clear pictures I sent him. Unfortunately the watch maker was to busy for me to visit him for him to check with the loupe so the watch had to be sent back for a refund. For all I know the watch could of been original, shame I did not get to find out. The forum member I purchased it from was top notch gave me a refund and if he ever comes to London we will meet for a drink. What I am telling you now came from 9 months of experience as I am new to this myself. You see it is tricky, even with the best will in the world it can go wrong. Homework is the best bet to finding a good vintage, the alternative is to make many costly mistakes.

Edited Jan 1, 2016
    gregger77 likes this.
  6. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jan 1, 2016

So what sort of thing are you after?

7. gregger77 Jan 1, 2016

Yikes! Hopefully I'll sidestep some potholes. Great education on the forum. Thanks.

PatrickJ likes this.
  8. gregger77 Jan 1, 2016

I would be happy with a 1960s Seamaster or Constellation with an s/s case and some gold accents, either in the dial face or the markers. Example from current eBay listing attached, cal. 562. This looks like a well regarded dealer asking $860. But who knows.

image.jpg
    PatrickJ likes this.
  9. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 1, 2016

Too much

gregger77 and PatrickJ like this.
  10. PatrickJ Jan 1, 2016

Keep doing you homework. :thumbsup:

gregger77 likes this.
  11. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Jan 1, 2016

you are right now in the best position for a vintage chaser: Cash in your pocket ... my tip: look around www.watchrecon.com and see what your 4 digits can get you ... the world is yours!!! ;-)

gregger77 likes this.
  12. gregger77 Jan 1, 2016

I have been glued to watchrecon, this site (of course) and eBay, but haven't seen examples like that for much less money. Maybe patience is key!

Well, okay, did spot this one, but offshore buying makes me a little nervous.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331730989272?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:ITPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Another...from Europe...beckons. Case seems pretty polished, but lugs still look sharp

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291623262137?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:ITPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Edited Jan 1, 2016
  13. Garv no longer a member of the terminally hip Jan 1, 2016

One thing to keep in mind is that you will learn as your collection grows. There will be a "noob tax", but patience, prudence and excitement are all part of the fun. Good luck and welcome.

al128 and gregger77 like this.