Forums Latest Members

New WTC Concourse and Watch Row

1. mozartman ♫♭♬ ♪ Sep 22, 2016

For those of you not in or near NYC, the new World Trade Center concourse opened recently, and I thought you would like a picture of what I'm calling "Watch Row" -- Longines, Montblanc and Breitling boutiques. These were among the first stores to open in the concourse. There's already an Omega Boutique across the street in Battery Park City.
    wtc concourse - Copy.jpg wtc watch row.jpg

Wetworks, Severin and 1685 like this.
  2. Clibka Sep 22, 2016

Please excuse my ignorance but is this considered the memorial site for the wtc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Sep 22, 2016

No. This concourse is part of the new World Trade Center which is just north of, but not part of, the original twin tower memorial.

Edited Sep 23, 2016
    mozartman likes this.
  4. mozartman ♫♭♬ ♪ Sep 22, 2016

Yes, the memorial has been open for a while. (Five years, I think. The museum is more recent.) But the concourse just opened. Not many stores are open yet, but you can buy watches, thank goodness!

5. Clibka Sep 22, 2016

Gotcha. Thanks for clearing that up, I feared they tried to put retail space in a solemn place. Looks really cool though!

6. abrod520 Sep 23, 2016

They did. Come for the memorial / museum, and pick yourself up a nice luxury watch while you're here....

The company I worked at moved their office to that mall last year - I immediately found another job. Can't spend time in that place, luxury mall or not

7. mozartman ♫♭♬ ♪ Sep 23, 2016

Well, we have opposite views on that, and I was in the WTC on 9/11 (but got out in time). To me, the most important memorial for those who died is all around us -- the prosperous, free society they helped build. We honor them best by rebuilding and continuing to progress. That's what the new WTC achieves, concourse watch boutiques included. OTOH, the 9/11 Memorial is way over the top, and the idea of a 9/11 souvenir shop and three-star restaurant makes me want to gag.
    For a good example of a memorial done right and with appropriate modesty, visit the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington, DC. Just my (respectful) opinion.

Edited Sep 23, 2016
  8. Clibka Sep 23, 2016

Interesting differences of opinion. I do not know the proximity of the mall to the memorial but if they were attached or visible from one another that gives me a little pause :/ I guess I want to envision the memorial as a place for quiet reflection and remembrance. The addition of a "gift shop" and a restaurant gives me more than a pause ... that is unacceptable.

mozartman likes this.
  9. mozartman ♫♭♬ ♪ Sep 23, 2016

"Unacceptable"? Then I recommend you stay away, as I do.

Clibka likes this.
  10. abrod520 Sep 23, 2016

To be sure, I am not mad about the new tower's existence, and I suppose you're right that the mall isn't so bad. It is not connected to the memorial as far as I know (I did not stick around very long to explore) but is part of the whole interconnected complex between the Fulton St station, One World Trade, and the Brookfield Place shopping / office mall.
    We are in total agreement about the memorial, restaurant, and souvenir shop etc. Smiling tourists with selfie sticks is part of the reason I can't bear to look at it

watchme and mozartman like this.
  11. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 23, 2016

WTF!

watchme likes this.
  12. abrod520 Sep 23, 2016

It's revolting, but nothing new... they do the same thing at Auschwitz etc

watchme and mozartman like this.
  13. mozartman ♫♭♬ ♪ Sep 23, 2016

I've read the Polish government isn't even funding the Auschwitz memorial site sufficiently to protect it from vandalism. But that's a common problem in many countries. Anyway, I'm glad to see a new World Trade Center. I did not like working in or near the old one. It was much, much too large for the original architect's design concept. The indoor common areas were always overcrowded and difficult to navigate and the outdoor plazas too small and useless. In time we'll get used to the memorial. But the gift shop should be closed.

abrod520 likes this.
  14. abrod520 Sep 23, 2016

Whatever anyone's opinions of what's there now, it's for sure better than that nasty construction site that sat there for 10yrs.

The only time I ever spent there was on a 3rd-grade class trip, I think as a quick stop on our way to the ferry to Ellis Island. (My sense of scale was probably quite a bit different than now ;) )

As an aside, I do miss the Krispy Kreme factory store in the concourse, which KKD has not seen fit to replace in New York; there's a store in Penn Station but not a factory - the donuts aren't hot.

mozartman likes this.
  15. Clibka Sep 23, 2016

Gotta love the light!

16. ulackfocus Sep 23, 2016

The correct name for that is a narcissistick. ;)