Forums Latest Members

New watch to me ! Archimedes 20 atm World timer !

1. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 5, 2018

hello everyone

Ok just got this one today and it’s a killer

Some of my favorite things

Blue dial
    Black bezel with green arrows!
    Blue under crystal bezel with light blue type
    And it’s in side a super cool 42 mm Super Compressor case !!!

Excellent !!

Wayne’s world.....

Here ya go !
    90083D32-BECA-4C46-AEB5-D30DF5D02D4B.jpeg

90083D32-BECA-4C46-AEB5-D30DF5D02D4B.jpeg dial7.jpg dial6.jpg dial.jpg mov.jpg insidecb.jpg back.jpg other.jpg crowns.jpg dial4.jpg dial3.jpg dial2.jpg dial1.jpg

XbsKj.gif

Good Hunting

bill

2. gostang9 Sep 5, 2018

Looks great, but I’m not familiar with this type of watch or exactly how it works.

Is it simply a 24 hour hand with a rotating bezel that when matched to the hour hand position tells you what time it is where you are?

Can you give a brief explanation for a simpleton like me who doesn’t get it?

3. airansun In the shuffling madness Sep 5, 2018

Ah, World Timer. (Psst, your thread title...)

I was wondering what a Word Timer was.

Conklin made fountain pens in the thirties that had word gauges. But, a word timer? That’d be a thing to see.

28D10851-43E2-4886-8236-79C6D3AA7BFE.jpeg

Very interesting watch, btw.

Edited Sep 5, 2018
  4. Dan S Sep 5, 2018

Awesome watch!

5. Fialetti Sep 5, 2018

Perfect for those occasions when you fly to Australia, dive the Great Barrier Reef, then check the time back at the office.

Enjoy!

Bill Sohne likes this.
  6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 5, 2018

Y
    Yes... kinda...

Normally they have an independent 24 hour hand that you set to GMT and the normal hands to local time. You can then rotate the bezel and when the time location is at 12 you can read the time at that location using the GMT hand.

This one takes knowing the gmt offset into consideration and is not exactly a true world timer while it does have the bezel and works as such.

Larry S and Bill Sohne like this.
  7. Waltesefalcon Sep 6, 2018

Very cool, I like the internal bezel.

Bill Sohne likes this.
  8. gostang9 Sep 6, 2018

I still don't quite comprehend...

I have an EXP II and use the GMT function often. I set and use the standard 12-hour hand for the local time and leave the 24-hour hand to my home time zone. When I look at this watch, it seems to have the standard 12-hour hand missing and so I assume it tells time only based on a 24-hour hand set with the 24 hour markings on the internal dial. I guess the external bezel then rotates and can be adjusted so the desired GMT city/zone matches the current hour? One could then compare any other city/zone time against the matching internal dial hour? When an hour passes however, the external bezel would no longer have the desired GMT city/zone matching the hour hand any longer and so would need to be continually adjusted each hour??

9. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 6, 2018

Good point.. @Bill Sohne is the watch missing a 24 hour hand or is the hour hand 24 hours?

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 6, 2018

I did and I stand by my question. The dial has secondary 24 hour markings but presents as a 12 hour dial. It’s a little unclear on this piece.

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  11. Waltesefalcon Sep 6, 2018

I suppose that it is missing a hand?

12. time flies Sep 6, 2018

Perhaps the OF search function...world timer. Or Google...what is a world timer?
    How easy does it have to be?

Have fun...work a bit.
    kfw

13. gostang9 Sep 6, 2018

Do you know the answer and aren't sharing it?

I did Google this particular watch and world timer. The answer is not so easy to find... maybe you could "help" a bit...?

14. time flies Sep 6, 2018

I believe I have. And yes. I do. Thank you for your comment/question .

have fun.
    kfw

15. Waltesefalcon Sep 6, 2018

I googled it and the couple of examples I found were Bucherer but none of them had a GMT hand to go along with the 24hr ring.

16. gostang9 Sep 6, 2018

Please kindly do enlighten me with either the answer or a link to the website that explains this particular 'world timer' function...

I don't quite understand your post at all. It seems you know the answer but delight in merely pointing it out without actually sharing the answer. Then you taunt again with "have fun".. ::confused2::

17. gostang9 Sep 6, 2018

https://www.chronext.com/journal/stories/a-timely-question:-gmt-vs-world-time-watches
    What is a World-Time watch?
    A World-Time watch is one that does not only display two time zones, but also tracks all 24 time zones across the world at once. This instrument is especially handy for those of us globetrotters not only needing to constantly readjust our internal clocks, but also the time displayed on our watches. Furthermore, those of us who conduct business or simply have family and friends around the globe also find it extremely handy having a World-Time watch, requiring only a simple glance at our wrists for a quick overview of all 24 time zones worldwide. The World-Time complication was invented in the 1930s by a skilled watchmaker named Louis Cottier, who created the complication for many luxury watch companies, including Vacheron Constantin, Patek Philippe, and Rolex.

Please kindly explain how this watch (from the OP) with only one hour hand displays two time zones and tracks all 24 time zones...
    ::book::

18. gostang9 Sep 6, 2018

https://me.askmen.com/watch-snob/11...-time-watch-and-how-does-it-work-we-asked-the
    Typically, a world time watch shows the time in 24 time zones simultaneously. The hour and minute hand are coordinated with an outer chapter ring with the names of 24 reference cities for each time zone and a pusher set into the case allows you to move the chapter ring one city at a time; the hour hand will automatically jump an hour ahead or behind to show the time in the reference city (local time). At the same time, a rotating 24 hour inner chapter ring turns once per day, and shows the time in the other cities on the dial.

Maybe this definition describes it better?

19. time flies Sep 6, 2018

It's a world timer. Figure it out. It's not rocket science.
    All my posts end with...

have fun
    kfw

20. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 6, 2018

Perhaps I own a few world timers and know exactly how to use them...

Perhaps the valid question of a dial that presents as a 12 hour dial but has seemingly secondary 24 hour markers with a bezel that only makes sense in the presence of a 24 hand having a 24 hour hour hand is beyond your comprehension.

Normally you see these with a clear 24 hour dial or have a sencondary 24 hand that hopefully is independent from the 12 hour hand.

gostang9 and Waltesefalcon like this.