Forums Latest Members
  1. Squan Jun 22, 2019

Hey all,

So I just purchased a Tudor black bay from a grey market dealer. The watch came in perfect condition with all Tudor stickers still on it, so it was brand new. Since I got it it hasn’t lost a second.

But, since I didn’t buy it from an AD I’m a little worried about the water resistance. Since it came brand new, should I just assume the water resistance was tested by Tudor and is functional? The screw down crown is functioning just fine. Not sure if this is a dumb question but it’s been worrying me. Thanks!

2. Professor Jun 22, 2019

If its not a fake and there are no signs of the case ever being opened I'd assume it was still water resistant.

Foo2rama and Squan like this.
  3. Squan Jun 22, 2019

Gotcha, is there a way for me to take it to an AD for me to check it there?

4. Schmedsc Jun 22, 2019

Take it to a watchmaker and post a picture.

5. Squan Jun 22, 2019

Attached is a photo. There definitely isn’t any signs that the case was opened!

47FCB081-4230-4EC6-B819-221840B671DE.png
    Schmedsc, Wetworks and noelekal like this.
  6. Professor Jun 22, 2019

I can only say that if it was mine I'd wear it and if it ever shows any sign of moisture infiltrating the case it should be quickly sent to a professional for complete cleaning and service with resealing to factory specs.
    I suspect the warranty may not cover a watch bought from a grey market dealer, but I really don't know enough to tell you.

PS
    A member here is a highly trained and experienced pro with the equipment to test water resistance, perhaps he will chime in.

Squan likes this.
  7. Snap Crackle Jun 22, 2019

I’m sure it’s fine but if it’s me? I’m going to have it tested if I’m planning on going diving with it. I bought a Pelagos grey market and it went straight to my watchsmith for water testing. It’s the only sure way to do it. More than likely they won’t water test it at the ad and may not even look at you if you mention it was a grey market purchase :rolleyes:

Squan likes this.
  8. Squan Jun 22, 2019

Hahaha very true. I’m new to watches and don’t know of any watchmakers by me. Do I just google it and go to any one near me?

9. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jun 22, 2019

Hi Squan. The new Black Bay looks really nice! That knobby knee though ... I don't know ... Heh!

I've entertained the notion of acquiring a Black Bay like yours. They are good looking watches. Love that hue of red.

Squan likes this.
  10. Squan Jun 22, 2019

I can tell you that it looks a lot nicer in person than it does in photos!

noelekal likes this.
  11. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jun 22, 2019

The knobby knee or the neato Black Bay?

12. Squan Jun 22, 2019

The black bay :)

noelekal likes this.
  13. KeithS Jun 22, 2019

I'm sure if you asked your local AD to pressure test it, they would happily do it for the same fee they routinely charge all of their customers for this service. Anyways, beautiful watch! I really like the Black Bays (though I do kind of wish they had the Mercedes hour hand).

Squan likes this.