Forums Latest Members
  1. davten May 8, 2015

2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 8, 2015

I say!
    <in my best "Captain Hastings" impression>

Very nice, the watch assortment is also first class and very deserving of such a fine abode.

Are you wearing "Number 6", or is that spot reserved for ???????

3. davten May 8, 2015

No. Spot 6 is empty.
    Happy to take suggestions....
    The plan is still to get that Speedie seen to by STS. Thanks to all the brilliant help and advice I got from the forum members here.
    Also, on the hunt for an original 30 second chrono sub dial hand for my Navitimer.
    Otherwise, quite happy...
    DT

4. Hijak May 8, 2015

Congratulations on your new box, it's very nice.:thumbsup: But to paraphrase Jaws...if you hang out here for long, you're going to need a bigger box!;)::stirthepot::

5. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months May 8, 2015

That is quite a nice one, and a great collection to go in it!

That's speedy should clean up nice, but you need some nice looking vintage hands... :)

6. davten May 8, 2015

Hijak, I'll never put on a life jacket again!
    And oddboy, I know man.
    I'm hoping STS can age them and make them match better, that was suggested to me by Ash and Spacefruit and others on here.
    I have sourced an original crown (pics here), then I need the right size pushers - again hopefully STS will have those.
    But before all that I'd like to find the correct DON bezel (one in good condition). Amomega (sells on here) has said he is getting another one in soon, so, fingers crossed there.
    Once I have that, I'll contact STS.
    Also, on the hunt for an original 30 second chrono sub dial hand for my Navitimer, so hard to find these old parts.
    Any advice welcome.
    DT.
    IMG_4029.JPG IMG_4030.JPG IMG_4031.JPG

7. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months May 8, 2015

I believe the correct pushers are available from omega. There are also some listed on ebay right now, and they come up.

The hands shouldn't be too hard for someone who has done it before. I hear tea is the way to go.. not sure about the hour markers. Is the lume stripped leaving the paint? That could be restored too if so desired, though may affect value. I'm not sure which is better, stripped lume or relume.

Anyway, beautiful watches in a beautiful box!

8. davten May 8, 2015

Thanks! And yeah, the lume is stripped off. Oof, so many decisions and different ways to go with these watches. Lume or relume.
    I dunno, anyway, I'll get it sorted eventually. No rush.

oddboy and Stewart H like this.
  9. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident May 8, 2015

Proper thinking - act in haste; repent at leisure. :thumbsdown:

10. Event horizon faux seller of watches and complete knobhead May 8, 2015

Really nice watches and a watch box to match, how do you find the box is it as nice in the flesh? I've had to think that a watch box is a garage for watches, that way they are quite justifiable.

11. davten May 8, 2015

Thanks. I really like this box. It's nice.
    A nice compromise actually.
    Took me a long time to choose it.
    There are very cheap ones and SUPER expensive ones.
    This one fell in between.
    It's nice to store them somewhere covered and pretty.
    Also, I like that each watch has room to breathe. Not too close to each other. Would hate for the crowns to touch the case of the adjacent one etc.
    DT

12. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months May 8, 2015

My watchbox says high. One empty spot for the one that's in for a tune up.

IMG_20150508_183741.jpg IMG_20150508_183726.jpg IMG_20150508_183708.jpg

13. davten May 8, 2015

Lovely collection!
    DT

14. xcentric May 9, 2015

is there a consensus on whether storing leather straps round the oval holder is better or worse than storing them flat?

15. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job May 9, 2015

I think the strap would not be affected negatively by storing it on the oval pillow. It's a shape that mirrors your wrist.
    My only concern was securing it by means of the tang buckles: if you hook them up, it's that much more wear to the strap. That's why when I store them on the oval pillow in the box, I simply wrap the strap under it, without buckling the strap.
    Just remember the watch is loose when you take the watch or the pillow out!

16. rwilner May 9, 2015

That is a beautiful box. My requirement for boxes is that they have a glass top...part of my morning ritual is staring at my collection and picking a winner.

It also gives me some humility, to survey my collection every day and realize what a lucky bastard I am to have that choice to make.

davten and oddboy like this.
  17. TheCaptainOfTech May 9, 2015

Congrats on the new box I really like the configuration:)