Forums Latest Members

New VS Vintage Speedmaster Professional - Help me decide!

1. inspectedby39 Feb 23, 2017

Hi Forum,

First post here, I recently discovered the forums and its been a great resource so thanks to everyone!

I'm getting married in May and decided to gift myself my first nice watch. I started my research from scratch but ended up loving (like everyone else) the Speedmaster Professional. At over 5k new, this is at the extreme limit of my budget, so I started to look into the used market, not being too particular about the specific movement as long as I could find a piece in good condition from a trusted source.

So far however, it seems that "trusted source" = high enough prices that I may as well buy it new. And though a 321 or even 861 may be more collectable, I'm wary of spending thousands of dollars on something without really knowing its service history and the authenticity of the parts inside, not to mention a more limited or no warranty. The rep at my local omega boutique of course echoed those concerns, and though his goal is to sell watches it spooked me enough to think twice.

What is the consensus here? Is getting a brand new Speedmaster silly? Are gray market dealers and second hand sources not as scary as I think they are? My intent is not to start collecting (though I've got my eye on a few Seamaster DeVille's), but rather to wear this watch until I'm wrinkled and then pass it down.

Any advice, opinions, or experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Michael

Marty McDawg likes this.
  2. ac106 Feb 23, 2017

@Kringkily

Tell him what you are looking for, budget etc. He'll get new with warranty, preowned etc. no worries at all
    Literally none. 100% trustworthy.

TheHoof, MikiJ and Kmart like this.
  3. abrod520 Feb 23, 2017

+1 on Kringkily. New Speedmasters can be had for quite a bit less than $5k if you know where to look (here). As far as vintage goes, it's up to you depending on your tastes re. dial/hands lume etc, but if you like the modern look I'd say it's a perfectly nice choice.

MikiJ likes this.
  4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 23, 2017

At the end of the day it comes down to look. Assume any vintage piece will need a service and add that to cost. I wouldn't worry about long term costs and past service history on an 861 as parts are available and not expensive. Assume a service every 5 years and it will cost the same.

As noted you can buy new for similar costs to a nice vintage piece once you factor in the service.

I prefer vintage on speedmasters as they have a warmth to them that new ones don't have. Plus the Luminova will never look as good as a well aged tritium dial. Either are good choices though! Welcome to the addiction!

5. inspectedby39 Feb 23, 2017

Thanks for the thoughts!
    As far as look and details go, I'm not too particular but for my first speedy I want it to be in very good condition so that any "aging" is done by me. This doesn't disqualify a used 861, but I want to make sure the savings (or value) is significant enough over buying one new.

@Foo2rama thanks for your thoughts on the long term costs, sounds like that doesn't need to be a factor here. I love the look of the vintage tritium dials, but for my first (and only) nice watch, I'm tempted to start fresh with something that doesn't look as worn in. My second speedy will be vintage ;)

So unless there is a strong stigma against buying new, or the overall value of a similarly priced vintage piece is far greater, my best bet is to find a good deal on a new or near new piece. I'll send @Kringkily a message, I've seen his name quite a bit around here...
    Any other ideas are welcome, thanks again!

Foo2rama likes this.
  6. watchlovr Feb 23, 2017

Up to you but I guarantee you a correct vintage Speedmaster will increase in value far more than a new one, does this matter?

nonuffinkbloke and oddboy like this.
  7. inspectedby39 Feb 23, 2017

@watchlovr I'm a bit torn on that one... Really it should not matter as I never plan on flipping it, but would be nice to pass down something that is maybe seen as more "rare."

8. gperry Feb 24, 2017

I recently (a week ago) purchased my first Speedy. Like you, I had the exact same dilemma. Here's how it played out for me:

Pros to new: All wear by me, less risk as I'm not an expert, overall purchasing simplicity

Pros to vintage: The intangible feeling you get that comes from wearing a piece of history every day.

The decision was simple for me.....

I've been an avid reader of this forum for a long time, but never a poster as I don't have much to add. I've been burned on many watch purchases made on eBay (who hasn't). The information made available by community here gave me the confidence to take the risk and buy exactly what I know I really wanted.

Whatever you decide to do I hope that you enjoy your watch and the celebration of your marriage. I bought mine to celebrate my sons birth.

image.jpg
  9. ibis888 Feb 24, 2017

This may be blasphemy to some - but I love the looks of the 3592.5 "sandwich" Speedmaster. You get the warm yellowed tritium look with a hesalite crystal, but the watch isn't too old (usually from the early 90s) and I really like the idea of being able to see the movement through the display back.

10. motomike Feb 24, 2017

I don't think you can go wrong either way. My first major watch purchase was a new speedmaster profressional and then later found the allure of vintage pieces and purchased a 145.012.

11. inspectedby39 Feb 26, 2017

@gperry thanks for the post and congrats! This forum has been a great resource so far, looking forward to learning as much as I can from the group.

to echo @ibis888 and @motomike, its refreshing to hear that you cant really go wrong.
    As a total newbie to the watch world, I just dont want to get something I dont understand, or spend money on something for the wrong reasons whether its new or vintage.

I have a bit more research to do, but hopefully by this summer I'll be able to join the Speedy club.

Cheers

gperry likes this.
  12. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Feb 26, 2017

My experience is if you get the new and like it you will want the vintage.

I'd go straight for vintage

That being said as this is a "benchmark" or celebration piece watch for you it makes more sense to get it knew and age it as it will always have a personal meaning and history unique to you

SpeedyPhill likes this.
  13. Babar Feb 28, 2017

Hi You should buy a vintage speed 145.022 with nice patina ! if you buy the new one you'll always have an eye on the vintage one, you should start hunting for a vintage one!

14. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Feb 28, 2017

Vintage for sure (although it's already too late price wise)

15. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 28, 2017

New watch for a new stage in your life ;)
    Once your married 30 years it will be vintage and mean more

Nobel Prize likes this.
  16. rcs914 Feb 28, 2017

I think this actually makes a lot of sense - my own Speedy is a birth-year one, which is what I've always wanted, but a new production one with the box with all the bells and whistles makes sense - because it is for your wedding, and is the start of your own history. You can always add a vintage piece later as finances permit, and it also is much easier to source a new one.

17. MaiLollo Feb 28, 2017

The first Speedy I bought was a 2009 one, it functionned like a dream and I kept it for almost two years. One day I woke up, I saw a very cool looking one for sale from 1975 with very nice patina. I bought it in a heartbeat and sold mine in no time as well, for almost the same price. Starting out with a modern one is great because they tend to be more robust than vintage (especially since they're untouched far more often) but in the long run I believe they're less cool/attractive than nice original vintage ones. Older 861 represent crazy value.
    My 2 cents

Stas likes this.
  18. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Feb 28, 2017

Hello Michael. If it's 'rare' you want then you are going to be looking at a Speedmaster with a 321 movement. Trouble is , as we know, the Omega Speedmaster is knocking 60 and the 321 was only used for a relatively short period in Speedmaster history. Logically, they will become progressively more rare as time goes on. As has been mentioned, the prices are already very high.

If those early and mid 60's Speedmasters are a bit over your budget, you might find the section on 'why buy a 145-022' on the Web site Speedmaster101 of interest. You've got four kinds going up to 1978. you may be able to settle on something with a nice vibe, but within your price range.

http://speedmaster101.com/blog/why-buy-a-145-022/

Edited Feb 28, 2017