Forums Latest Members
  1. KyleM Jul 26, 2015

I've just bought my first Omega (decided on a speedy pro :)). I picked it up pre-owned, although it is only 4 months old. I'm planning on keeping it for a while, but beginning to wonder if I should have shopped around a bit for a more vintage speedy. Does anyone have (or at one point had) both and prefer one to the other? Are more recent movements more reliable? I'm obviously new to omega, these are early days for me!

2. guelerct Jul 26, 2015

I'm not a fan of patina and worn bezels so to me I say bravo
    But some love vintage goods
    Depends where you fall on the scale
    I always vote shiny and new[​IMG]

moscow, chickenman26 and blufinz52 like this.
  3. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jul 26, 2015

Consider it your *first watch. Look into vintage. Have some of each, old and new. ;)

4. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Jul 26, 2015

I never even considered a vintage watch, until I began learning about them, mostly from guys on this forum. Now, after buying two watch boxes of new sport watches, vintage watches are nearly all that I buy!

... and vintage can look shiny and new, too!

Here's a few of mine, all from the '50's and '60's

Photo Jul 25, omegalongines.jpg Photo Jul 25, 7 39 23 PM.jpg

When I get another Speedie (I have a modern LE), it will most likely be a vintage one, as I think they're better looking, and they have a history / tell a story...:thumbsup:.

Edited Jul 26, 2015
    noelekal, tsbphd, Mad Dog and 2 others like this.
  5. Aussie Jim Jul 26, 2015

I vote for old and new. I have a 2010 Speedy and a 145.022, a James Bond Seamaster and a 165.014, a Tudor Black Bay and a 70s Snow Flake. I think it is a very broad church and (assuming enough $) you don't have to choose one or the other.

6. redpcar Jul 26, 2015

New = reliable / sturdy
    Vintage = investment and more care needed.
    Exceptions out there, of course.

I have only purchased 1 new high(ish) grade watch....errrr....timepiece in my life about 10 years ago. I track the value on the web. Today, it goes for about 70% of new. All my high(ish) grade vintage watches that I purchased at about the same time have improved 70%+ over the same time.

I enjoy wearing a piece of history on my arm. Also wear vintage sunglasses, use vintage pens and briefcases. To me, it just looks freaking cool.

Like one of my favorite scenes in the movie Gone in Sixty Seconds. A man is considering buying a new Ferrari. Salesman says: Yes I saw 3 of these parked outside Starbucks this morning. Any rich person can own a new Ferrari but if you show up to a party in a 1967 Ferrari GTB 4 cam, you aren't simply a rich person, you are a connoisseur. The heavens will open. Champagne will fall. (Some liberties taken on the wording).

KyleM, Mad Dog and dougiedude like this.
  7. persco Jul 26, 2015

I have a 2013 3570.50 Speedy and 1991 3590.50 (tritium dial). I prefer the look of the patina on the tritium dial, so I'm having the 2013 converted to a Mitsukoshi Panda dial.

8. Aussie Jim Jul 26, 2015

or in the words of the Australian glam rock band of the 70's

9. Davidt Jul 27, 2015

I think this applies to diving watches and other things like cars, but I wouldnt say it applies to a Speedmaster.

I'd consider my '60's Speedmasters just as reliable and sturdy as a new model once they've had a service.

10. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Jul 27, 2015

I considered buying a new Speedy but ended up buying a 145.022 from 1985 - birth year. The patina is great and the watch is in very good condition. I love it dearly. I think that in time I will buy a newer Speedy save the birth year for special occasions and use the newer as an everyday wearer (on the other hand, I have also thought about getting a 145.012... Arrhhrhrhrh I need more money). If I could choose only one, I would go for an older model with tritium. The patina is amazing.

11. BartH Follows a pattern of overpaying Jul 27, 2015

I actually have been torn for quite a while on whether to buy a vintage or a new speedy,

I like the vinage ones better, but I could do with a newish steel bracelet watch as a beater and I like the looks of the speedy.

12. KyleM Jul 28, 2015

Thanks for the input guys. I love the look of a vintage speedy and the thought of the mysterious life it's lived over the years! I'm settling for the new Speedy i have now. If i ever come across a vintage speedy in good condition in the future though, I don't think i'll be able to help myself!! I like the thought of buying a vintage and keeping it for another 30-40 years! :D

13. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Jul 28, 2015

You only have 2 posts. You still have hope. If you leave now you will save yourself much time and money. You won't have to answer the awkward questions from the wife about how much did that one cost? Or hear comments about how much time you spend looking at watches, I can go on an on. But after while, she will stop asking what you spend and just roll her eyes when she catches you looking at watches on your phone. This took 18-24 months for me.

Welcome to the message board and honestly, it is too late to save yourself, so please have fun and enjoy the community.

IMG_20150723_092739.jpg

14. KyleM Jul 29, 2015

@Taddyangle at the age of 22, I (luckily?) haven't hit the marriage stage yet. My wallet is free to roam through the horological world as it pleases.. for now.

I'm a massive fan of that panda dial also, beautiful!

Davidt likes this.
  15. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jul 29, 2015

I have owned a few vintage and new. Two of the three new ones had mechanical failures. I had them repaired and sold all three just to avoid the headache. I'll allow that mine was not the usual experience users have with new Omegas.
    I really liked the vintage pieces I had (three with caliber 321 movements in them). I preferred the "Professional" models with their twisted lugs to the straight lugs (think I'm in the minority here!) I even wore a 105.012-66 CB on holiday to Italy (gasp!) on a vintage 1039 bracelet (GASP!) and it was fine.
    So vintage for me all the way every day.

16. KyleM Jul 29, 2015

@Time Exposure I'm with you on that, aesthetically I prefer the twister lugs. For the sake of "vintageness" though, I'd probably still go with the straight lugs if I had the opportunity. Taking that malfunction into account, I actually had a situation earlier with my chronograph!! Giving it a go, the second hand stopped after 4 seconds. The second sub-dial at 9 stopped as well!! Is this a common occurrence with new(er) Speedmasters? This is the first time i've bought a new/current model, but as time's went on over the past 4 weeks, and looking at input from here, I'm definitely looking to shift it and pick up something with a bit more age to it!

17. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jul 29, 2015

I wouldn't say Speedmasters are troublesome in general. Was your watch fully wound up? The chronograph does run off the time keeping movement so if the mainspring is wound just enough to power the time keeping part, it may not be enough power for the time keeping AND the chronograph.

18. sryukon Aug 6, 2015

Very nice collection!! I'm the same way my last four purchases have been vintage. Love that Longines with date at 6 very clean

19. danomar Aug 7, 2015

I prefer vintage timepieces because there is often a nice story behind them. In some instances, I enjoy bringing neglected pieces back to former glory. The extra effort makes the watch seem truly mine.