Forums Latest Members

New vintage style (1450 ish) bracelet for my Speedy

1. rcs914 Sep 18, 2018

So I have purchased several items from WatchGecko in the past, and am a fairly satisfied customer - they have decent stuff at pretty much bargain prices. A couple weeks ago I was looking at the clearance section and noticed a bracelet that bore a striking resemblance to a 1450 - same D shaped links, flat interior, etc. I decided to give it a go, figuring even if I didn't like it on my Speedmaster, I have several other candidates for trying it on. They also sell curved endlinks to replace the bar style ones that it comes with.

When it arrived I quickly went to put it on, and then discovered that I couldn't push the pins out with my Bergeon 6767f tool, so off I went to find a pin remover. Once that arrived (whole other story) I finally was able to remove the pins and set about trying it. The curved endlinks do fit, but required some manual adjustment with needle nose pliers and a towel - I think in the end though, for less than $40 shipped from the UK, it looks pretty good!

IMG_20180918_122800_1.jpg IMG_20180918_122630.jpg IMG_20180918_122624.jpg IMG_20180918_122656.jpg
    IMG_20180918_122707.jpg IMG_20180918_122621.jpg

Here's a link if anyone is interested: https://www.watchgecko.com/butterfly-solid-3-link-d-profile-by-geckota.php
    (also if you use code WATCHGECKO when checking out you get 10% off)

I did have to buy the suggested end links separately, which were another $6 ;)

I removed two links from it, and might remove a third - my wrist is between 7.25 and 7.5 inches typically. I would prefer the center links weren't polished, but you can't have everything. I suppose if I wanted to infest the time I could buy a fiberglass scratch stick and go over the whole bracelet with it, but that's probably a bigger time investment than I want to make right now.

Fitting the end links was a bit of trial and error, and took far longer than I thought it would, but in the end I'm pretty happy with how it looks. There is still some room for improvement with how I bent them, but it's not bad. They basically look like 633 end links, but are a bit wider inner to outer dimension, which is why they required more finagling with the fitment.

Thoughts?

FlyOnDaWall and Longbow like this.
  2. rcs914 Sep 18, 2018

Well i wore it all day - took out a third link and it fits perfectly. Really the most comfortable bracelet I have on any watch. Incredibly pleased with it, especially for the price. I realize looking at the pictures above it almost looks bicolor with the mirror polish on the middle links. It's not.

Excellent value if you are willing to wear an aftermarket bracelet.

Longbow likes this.
  3. wsfarrell Sep 19, 2018

Purists may gasp, but I kind of like the polished center links.

rcs914 likes this.
  4. rcs914 Sep 19, 2018

I think it was super noticeable because I was outdoors. Inside it's not quite as blatant - at least I don't think.

IMG_20180919_071200.jpg

waveguide likes this.
  5. Longbow Sep 19, 2018

Can tell me the order code for the end links, I guess I chose the wrong ones on my version.

6. rcs914 Sep 19, 2018

https://www.watchgecko.com/curved-ends-solid-3-link-d-profile-geckota.php

Those are the ones I ordered.

I could definitely do a bit more fitting of them, but it's such a pain to get the spring bar in that I'm gunshy about taking it apart again. Probably spent about an hour finagling them yesterday. There is no gap side to side, despite how it looks in the picture. The top of the endlink is slightly too high so it creates a shadow.