Forums Latest Members
  1. mpah9937 Jan 10, 2014

I got married on Sat and my awesome wife got me a vintage Omega as a wedding present! She knew I'd been after one for a while and surprised me with the following:

IMG_1323.JPG IMG_1324.JPG IMG_1325.JPG IMG_1326.JPG IMG_1327.JPG

All the jewellers told her is that its a 1965 Omega strap watch. I've read the advice thread and have tried to include as much detail as I can, I'm unsure how to remove the back without damaging the case, can someone advise me how to do this and what tools to use? The strap is obviously new and she was told that it had been serviced when it came in.

Any info and help greatly appreciated, many thanks in advance!

2. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Jan 10, 2014

I can't tell from the photos, but I assume this has a snap back case. This would require correct tools to remove the case, or you could damage it. My recommendation would be to take it to a watchmaker and have it opened. Oh and congratulations!

mpah9937 likes this.
  3. dkennyken Jan 10, 2014

Wowzer, wish my wife had of bought me one as a wedding prezzie.
    Unfortunately I have to buy my own lol.

Very nice watch by the way.

As said before either the correct tool or a local watch repair shop should be able to have a look for you.

4. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jan 10, 2014

Congratulations two times. :)

Welcome to the forum!

5. Foxy100 Jan 10, 2014

Very nice indeed! My wife promised me a watch for a wedding present. I bought a Heuer Montreal, had it restored and was forbidden from wearing it until the wedding day. That was two (or possibly three) years ago and she still hasn't paid for it.

6. JohnSteed Jan 10, 2014

Wonder if your wife knows you're dipping into the OF. It'll be downhill from here LoL. Get out now if you can. This forum will cost you. LoL ::money::

Hearty Congrats on Wedding!!! & watch. :thumbsup:

7. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jan 10, 2014

Congrats. It looks like a manual wind watch. Back in those days, lots of models didnt have names (e.g. seamaster, speedmaster, etc). On the inside of the caseback, there will be a model number, prob 4 digits, that you can then put into the omega archive on their website formore info.

8. mpah9937 Jan 10, 2014

Thanks for the kind words, I'll pop into the Jewellers that she brought it from tomorrow and get them to open it up so I can get a couple of pictures. I'll stick them up on here tomorrow PM, if anyone's got any more info from the phots it would be hugely appreciated. I've had a quick trawl through the forums, I can see how this can get very addictive and expensive!!

UncleBuck likes this.
  9. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jan 10, 2014

Good effort on going to the jeweler if you aren't 100% confident and have the proper tool !
    It's too nice to screw up.
    I know a moron that once spent a lot of time trying to get a caseback off of a pocket watch that he later found out was a front-loader.
    What a putz!

Mothra, JimInOz and Tire-comedon like this.
  10. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 10, 2014

Congrats on a nice catch, well, two nice catches actually.

Listen to the experts, unless you're skilled at watch tinkering, get a watchmaker to do it (and I don't mean the bloke at the Mr Minute stand, or the kid in the local jewellery store).

11. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jan 10, 2014

Nice catch, I think you have a keeper!:thumbsup:

The watch looks good too, and once you have the back off, it should reveal thie information you're looking for.

12. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 10, 2014

Who would that be UB?

:D

UncleBuck likes this.
  13. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 10, 2014

Hey, we know your ethics bind you to silence. :D

14. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jan 10, 2014

The secrecy of my mission prevents me from knowing what I am doing.

15. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jan 11, 2014

Very Zaphod Beeblebrox of you!

16. mpah9937 Jan 11, 2014

Got to the jewellers today and they got the back of so I could get some pics and info; PSB:

20140111_142145.jpeg 20140111_142224.jpeg 20140111_142313.jpeg

The model ref number is: 131.0019
    movement number: 22053619
    calibre number: 601

It says the year is 1962, gold plated, Geneve.

The image on the website has the Geneve logo however my watch clearly doesn't, it also doesn't appear to be gold plated or does this refer to the movement? The stock photo on the website also has numbers at the 12,3,6 and 9 where as mine doesn't, is this a variation on the Geneve?

Any more info greatly appreciated!

MH

17. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Jan 11, 2014

The stainless version is missing because the database is incomplete, so not an issue. Also, there were many dial layouts so if the dial does not match the database this is not typically an issue. Now, the 131.0019 was part of the Geneve line, but over the years I have seen dozens of examples without the "Geneve" on the dial.

18. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jan 11, 2014

There are many here that are more knowledgeable, but in my opinion, you have a timeless, classic beauty and the unveiling could not have gone better !!!
    Treat her well and provide with proper, regular service. (the watch dammit, the watch!)

This is an understated, elegant watch that can be worn everyday with a strap change to casual, or worn to a formal occasion with the black gator. It will withstand the fads and the different times and you will be more proud 50 years from now than you are today.

I wish your marriage all the same attributes.

You've got to get this woman on the forum so we can talk! We love her already!

mpah9937 likes this.
  19. Wheels Jan 12, 2014

Nice wedding present mate!

20. mpah9937 Jan 12, 2014

Thanks for the info and kind words gents, I completely agree with all of your sentiments and am a very lucky man!

....now about that speedmaster!!

Deldog likes this.