Forums Latest Members

New To Watches - Which Omega

1. BHas Sep 16, 2018

Hello all. I have never worn a watch, but have always been intrigued by them. I tend to do a lot of research before diving in to any purchase, so it just isn't something I have taken the time to do until now. I got a smart "watch" (more like a device) recently as a gift, but they are definitely not for me so I got rid of it. I don’t have a desire to be that connected to my phone. However, I do enjoy the convenience of being able to check the time and the date without pulling out an iPhone. I am in a fair number of executive meetings, board meetings, client meetings, so I suit up a fair amount throughout the month. I also have days where I am business casual, and the occasional casual Friday. I am stuck with what to purchase. I have narrowed my search to a few brands, Omega being the one I am most interested. Do I go for a highly versatile watch? Do I target a specific watch that can be worn most of the time and get another watch later? I am fairly certain I will end up with more than one, but seeing as how I enjoy quality over quantity I would imagine it would be a bit before I would buy a second watch.

That being said, what would you get from the Omega line in my shoes? My wrist is 6.75 inches for reference. Is manual wind a big deal? If it will be worn daily should it be automatic? Would you target something versatile? Something specific for now?

Foo2rama likes this.
  2. Dan S Sep 16, 2018

If possible, I suggest going to an Omega Boutique and trying lots of watches on in person. Hopefully you will find some that you really enjoy wearing, and then you can let us know your thoughts about size, style, materials, bracelet/strap, color, etc. I don't think it's such a good idea to try to do this over the internet.

3. BHas Sep 16, 2018

Just getting some thoughts. I don't have one close, but do plan to make the drive to one at some point before purchasing.

4. USDKH123 Sep 16, 2018

D4ACF438-77FB-4641-BBBB-4C58490B478C.jpeg Go with a Speedmaster Professional. You become like 50x cooler when you put it on. Trust me.

Matt P, Dr_P, Tik-Tok of Oz and 3 others like this.
  5. BHas Sep 17, 2018

Thanks. Is that the de facto suggestion? Is the Aqua Terra versatile? Or the Seamaster Ceramic?

6. Waltesefalcon Sep 17, 2018

Constellation, either a vintage one or a modern Globemaster.

Steve88M3 likes this.
  7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 17, 2018

Aqua Terra will be more versatile, the Ceramic Seamasters are a little large and not as business/formal.

For a good all around watch, the Globemaster, Aqua Terra, Speedmaster Professional, Seamaster 300 in that order from more formal to more casual.

All in all depends on style and what you are looking for and what you will be wearing the watch with.

As for manual wind, I would not worry about it, taking the time in the morning to wind the watch is not an issue for anyone, some people find the ritual pleasing.

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  8. Edward53 Sep 17, 2018

Are you thinking of vintage or modern?

9. Sweli Sep 17, 2018

Clearly, you'll need 2. A De Ville coaxial for formal/business professional. A Seamaster or Speedmaster for business casual/casual/sport. Glad to help.

10. BHas Sep 17, 2018

Thanks for the input. I am not very drawn to the Globemasters, I like the Aqua Terra, Speedmaster Pro, and 300 more. I would like to buy new if possible. Also, any thoughts on face colors? White, Black, Blue? I assume the 38mm Aqua Terra or the 38.5mm Aqua Terra would be the appropriate size for a 6.75" wrist? Is the 42mm speedmaster too large?

11. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 17, 2018

It really depends on the person an watch for sizes.

I can wear a 35mm vintage piece and a 45.5 Planet ocean but some 42 mm are to large for me. While a speedy pro and Seiko SKX are fine my 39.5mm speedy date seems small...

Wrist proportion and body proportions factor in, as well as watch style and proportions.

Edited Sep 17, 2018
    Dan S and Waltesefalcon like this.
  12. giorgio.a Sep 17, 2018

I just got the Aqua Terra (I just posted pics on a separate conversation) and it is very versatile.

As Dan said I'd suggest to spend some time (more than once) at the Omega boutique and getting some wrist time with different models. That really helped me make my choice. And, it also helps to take your time before you feel ready - no hurry!

13. drhombus24 Sep 17, 2018

I would personally go for an aqua terra, seamaster 300, or PO.

I sold my PO to fund my speedy, and while I like the speedy a lot, I can’t help but think the PO (and most truly modern omegas) felt like a much nicer watch. Don’t get me wrong, the speedmaster is a great choice, but I think one of the modern seamasters may be a better choice for you. The speedmaster would make a great second watch to buy.
    7C379A0B-5A3F-475A-A5EB-38621835314C.jpeg A4CD1381-D55C-4408-A5B4-9632EB944043.png
    I really miss that PO....

Foo2rama likes this.
  14. giorgio.a Sep 17, 2018

I agree, the Planet Ocean is technically a great watch - 15k gauss, 600m and very robust. Not to mention quite good looking for a diver. You also have different sizes available. Personally, I'd much prefer that than the 300 Professional. But if you look for a versatile watch I'd think about it carefully...

Foo2rama and drhombus24 like this.
  15. drhombus24 Sep 17, 2018

I meant to say that I would go for pretty much any modern seamaster. Exact model and design is up to OP.

16. Supah Sep 17, 2018

This is the most fun you’ll have: the search/hunt for the right watch. My advice: make a day of it, go to AD’s or boutique. Take the wife/boyfriend with you, have a nice lunch or diner. It’s a blast, even if you don’t buy one that same day.

17. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Sep 17, 2018

Welcome to the forum. What is your budget?

Syrte and Taddyangle like this.
  18. kkt Sep 17, 2018

I think the Speedmaster Pro would be big. But that's just what I think; some people like a watch that's bigger on their wrist. Try one on at a boutique.

19. time flies Sep 17, 2018

20180105_164644.jpg 20180906_143517.jpg Both are a few years old now. The AT sees very little wrist time in favour of the PO. I tell myself I should move it on (the AT). I can't. For me, i think the AT is closer to a one watch watch than the PO. Or I do most days. If I bought it again I would go with the smaller 38mm. Go places, look at them, try them on. Things already suggested. Enjoys the process.

Have fun
    kfw

20. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Sep 17, 2018

I think the blue AT is the best option if you plan to be a one owner watch.

But since you are here on this message board and if you stay for any extended period of time you should plan as follows:

Speedmasters with tritium
    Seamaster (either PO, Ploprof, or SM300)
    Speedmaster Limited Edition (many to select)

As you advance your watch game, you can add:

Ed White
    More Speedmasters LE watches.

And at some point you can accomplish the ultimate, which is a Speedmaster Decades Collection.

Good luck.