Forums Latest Members
  1. GusZ Jul 30, 2018

Hi, I'm interested in buying an Omega vintage watch from the 50-60-70. After reading the forums and seeing some of these vintage watches actually fake I would like to know what you think of this watch. If it's OK I'll just keep posting here until I find one. Thanks.
    What about this one? Any thoughts?

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Omega-Genev...ns-Automatic-Vintage-Watch-JY162/263833793916Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. maanu Jul 30, 2018

Looks over polished to me

3. GusZ Jul 30, 2018

4. GusZ Jul 30, 2018

Is over polished bad?

5. michael22 Jul 30, 2018

Yes. It means that lots of metal has been removed from the watch, reducing originality.
    There are a lot of members here are collectors, who value originality above all else. Heavy polishing = damage.
    A watch that needed that much polishing must have been through a tough life.

On the other hand, some people just want a shiny watch to wear. In that case, you will still need to see the insides to make sure the watch is worth buying.

6. Dan S Jul 31, 2018

Just skip that seller altogether.

7. maanu Jul 31, 2018

It may not be bad for everyone but if I was going to start investing my time and energy into vintage watches, I would ignore EBay for e.g every watch from this seller looks to be over polished to me. For me I want my watch as close to original as possible.

I would do my research first, select the watch and may wait for it on this forum to be listed for sale. While waiting you may find something that you never thought you wanted.

https://omegaforums.net/forums/private-watch-sales/

Larry S and GusZ like this.
  8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 31, 2018

Avoid the seller. Also known as vividlilly or vividlily.

Montre48 and montgmt or something similar are known aliases. Over polished losing the beauty of the case and incorrect redials.

They change names a lot as they are universally panned as over priced ruined watches by collectors.

GusZ likes this.
  9. GusZ Jul 31, 2018

Thank you everyone for your feedback. Just getting into this and I have a lot to learn. Will ignore that seller and if I see something that catches my eye, I'll post it here first. I always loved Omega and I will wait for the best one that in my budget.

Dan S, Foo2rama and noelekal like this.
  10. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jul 31, 2018

No...Stop shopping and start learning. Delayed gratification will serve you well here.

Edward53, frederico, Syrte and 2 others like this.
  11. GusZ Jul 31, 2018

You're probably right. Will hold off and learn more about vintage watches. What is the best way to learn? Is there a thread where I can start with here, websites, etc?

12. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jul 31, 2018

13. ConElPueblo Jul 31, 2018

Hi @GusZ. The good news for you is that there are actually very few fake Omegas. The bad news are that there are whole lot of redialed or otherwise put-together specimens. A put-together Omega could have movement parts from another watch, which might not mean anything as such for the value or it could have cosmetic parts that are wrong (such as dial or hands) - this will almost always mean a lower value.

The ones you picked out are all redialed, meaning that the someone (in this case the seller) took an existing watch, had the plate the dial is made on cleaned completely and then repainted to his specifications. As the models you are looking at are already quite common (as common as vintage watches ever get, that is...) and not very sought after to begin with, their worth in their current state to a collector will be nearly zero. Parts value only, really. If you are not a collector then don't bother with our opinion and go with what you feel is right :)

Some other good news for you - if the cost of those watches you've linked to seems fine to you then you should have an easy time affording some top notch specimens in original condition. But be advised that in order to find those, you'll need to invest some time reading up on what is correct and what isn't and then sourcing them. However, that is where the fun is ;)

In this hobby, you will either have to spend a lot of time or a lot of money.

Syrte and gostang9 like this.
  14. gostang9 Jul 31, 2018

FIFY