Forums Latest Members

New to vintage watches - omega moonphase buying help

1. Lkalinke Nov 4, 2014

Hi people,

I am new to the vintage watch scene and am keen to treat myself to one. I really like the look of the omega moonphase. I have been told to steer away from the re-finished dials and go for an original. There only seems to be watches available from dealers which I guess is a double edged sword as you are getting a warranty but are going to pay an inflated price.

I have found these two items and wanted to know expert thoughts on price and condition. Although they seem original I am not sure what one should pay for these watches.

First one is http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUPERB-RARE-...-/131010537314

The second one is
    http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/350496258058?nav=SEARCHPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Regards

Lukas

2. mac_omega Nov 4, 2014

Lukas,

I would avoid both of them - the condition is not collectible... the second one has severe loss of gold plating on the lugs - this would be a no go for me!

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 4, 2014

That second one is $6000 Australian!?!?

Just saw the price of the first one... thats even worse!

4. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Nov 4, 2014

Hi Lukas -

Welcome to the Forum.

Do yourself a favor and set your sights a bit lower for your first Omega, a nice Constellation perhaps.

You've picked one of the hardest models to find in nice condition and one with the most potential for getting a bad one.

5. Lkalinke Nov 6, 2014

Hi all,

I'll stay clear!

I'm not so fussed about it gaining value, just don't want to get ripped off.

How much should I be paying for an original cosmic moonphase?

I could look at other models, just love the moonphase dial!
    Many thanks,

Lukas

6. TNTwatch Nov 7, 2014

How about moonphase on a moonwatch dial? Totally different style, of course. :)