Forums Latest Members
  1. FFR Oct 31, 2017

Hi! I'm new to watches, especially vintage watches, and would love some advice.

I'm looking for a watch for my husband's upcoming birthday. This is the style he likes. His brother has one, but it is so old that it is now beyond repair. I'm worried getting something like this won't last very long? Or are the Omegas made to last? Any suggestions of a reliable source to get a watch like this, or something similar but newer perhaps? Thanks in advance!

https://www.truefacet.com/omega-sea...MIlNbP8tSa1wIVxFqGCh1pxQ3FEAQYByABEgLTWfD_BwE

2. COYI Oct 31, 2017

Omega is a quality brand and if their wristwatches are looked after they can last a lifetime. I have an Omega from 1943 that is still running very well!

However, buying a vintage watch is a minefield and requires a lot of knowledge to ensure you don't end up with a lemon. If I were you I'd consider picking up something that has been recently serviced in the sales section of this forum as most forum sales seem to work out well. Alternatively you could buy something from a reputable local vintage watch dealer which offers a guarantee but you're likely to pay a considerable premium for this route.

FFR likes this.
  3. Duncand81 Oct 31, 2017

I second COYI's post, and have also got a couple of Omegas from the 1940s that run beautifully.

In terms of navigating the minefield that is vintage watch shopping, this forum is a great place to start (so long as you have the time, since you might have to be patient in terms of waiting for the type of desired watch to appear). Forum members are very conscientious, and watches for sale here should be in as-advertised condition, at prices better than most dealers.

FFR likes this.
  4. Duncand81 Oct 31, 2017