Forums Latest Members

New to Vintage Omega World -- Needs help assessing a 2998!

1. FabCo Sep 16, 2014

Hello all,

I am a "seasonned" vintage Rolex collector but am totally new to vintage Omega.

However, I have always been on a lookout for a nice 321 Speedmaster.
    I recently stumbled on this one and would like the experts around here to help me assessing it.

http://www.antiquorum.com/catalog/lots/omega-ref-2998-2-lot-285-84?page=3

First of all, is it correct to have a stepped dial for this sub-reference? Shouldn't it be a domed one?
    The hands looks original too me but shouldn't the chrono hands be white painted?
    For vintage Rolex, dial condition represent at least 80% of the watch value. Is it the same for vintage Speedy? In that regards, and given the fact the dial on this example is far from perfect, is the estimate of 5k$-8k$ reasonnable?
    I understand that the "Base 1000" bezel itself is quite valuable...

Many thanks for welcoming me here and I look forward to be enlightened by your answers/advices.

Best,
    Fab.

2. Barking mad Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Sep 16, 2014

From the pic, all looks good. Will be interesting to see how much it goes for. I would also like to see the movement and serial number. Should be a 17 mil serial.

This is is mine:
    image.jpg

FabCo likes this.
  3. FabCo Sep 16, 2014

Thanks for answering!
    Serial number is 17302525, as stated on the catalogue. I saw you just sold your 2998-4 for around 10k$. So I guess this one should be going for at least this, eventhough the dial is not as good as yours...

4. Barking mad Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Sep 16, 2014

I expect it would probably go for somewhere between 12-15k as it has the "Base 1000" bezel. It might go for more if someone wants it bad enough.

5. FabCo Sep 16, 2014

Thanks!

6. miccro Sep 16, 2014

The photo has been enhanced so much that i cant work out the colours of the chrono and sub dials- im not an expert but they look unpainted, they should be white. From my reading most 2998-2's have domed dials- but this is a nice tropical stepped dial -if you like them... id be happy with the dial as long as the price is right but would want to see photos of the rest of the watch!?. Id be tempted as a project watch if i wasn't chasing another piece, although not keen on auction houses.

im sure the experts will correct me if im wrong and offer more substantial advice,

mike

7. mac_omega Sep 17, 2014

I think it is a nice honest example.

Small sub counter hands look white painted to me
    Minute and hour hand might have been replaced as the lume differs too much from the hour plot´s lume

dial is a bit scratched in the sub dials but nice chocolate color