Forums Latest Members
  1. Cat2020 Aug 15, 2018

Hi there,
    I’m hoping to buy my husband-to-be a vintage omega watch as a wedding present. I have sought the help of a company to help me find one as I must admit, I know very little about vintage Omega watches! I’m also a little nervous about venturing into eBay. They have come back to me with the watch attached and I don’t know if i’ve got a good deal here or not. It’s mid 60’s, manual wind, 601 calibre. They have asked for £700 after a bit of refurbishment from their watchmaker. Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you very much in advance.

10515998-26BD-4B9E-BC61-2181DF254AF4.jpeg A23AB1DF-2373-46BC-9D38-D9DC402CD411.jpeg
  2. Vanallard Aug 15, 2018

Welcome to OF! The price you’ve been quoted is outrageously inflated for that particular model, which isn’t very desirable and worth less than half of the quoted price.

There are a number of factors you’ll have to consider before buying a vintage watch. For example, are looking for a watch that is gold plated, gold filled, solid gold or stainless steel? Do you think he would prefer a simple dial like the one in the photos you’ve provided or one that has a day/date feature? Would he prefer a classic round shaped case or something different?

Take a look at some of the threads in the forum and you’ll get a sense of the various types and styles of watches that were made by Omega - this will help you narrow your search and find what will surely be a much appreciated gift!

3. Dan S Aug 15, 2018

It is hard to tell much from those photos, but given the asking price I'm assuming it's not solid gold. It's got a nice clean dial and the case is sharp. I think it's an overstatement to say it isn't desirable, however, these gold-plated/filled manual-winding references would be considered entry-level, and I'd have to agree that the price is pretty high. You will want to get photos of the inside of the case-back and of the movement, and post them, so we can check that everything is correct and original. Also, you need more details on what their watchmaker will do to the watch. "A bit of refurbishment" is obnoxiously vague, and basically meaningless. They should do a complete service and provide a one-year mechanical warranty. If you'd like to share the name of the company you're working with, you might also get some feedback about that.

4. Cat2020 Aug 15, 2018

Thank you so much for your replies - I had a funny feeling you might say the price is inflated! I won’t be buying - my gut said no too!

I would very much like to buy him a round face, gold (whatever I can get for my money!), automatic, Seamaster/De Ville/Geneve and not too many scratches and scrapes. Budget of £800 - hope that’s realistic!

Any ideas on the best places to buy one? I live in the UK and I’ve been looking both on eBay and in jewellers. Variable pricing everywhere and I’m desperate not to make a poor choice.

Thanks again for your help, it’s really appreciated!

5. Cat2020 Aug 15, 2018

Forgot to mention that the company I was working with was Time Rediscovered in Tunbridge Wells, UK. Any thoughts?

6. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Aug 15, 2018

Davidt likes this.
  7. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Aug 15, 2018

Are you dead set on an Omega?

You could possibly find a nice solid gold Longines within your budget.

8. Fialetti Aug 15, 2018

If you are buying a solid gold watch, be sure to check the hallmarks. Not all jurisdictions use them, but both British and Swiss case-makers have quite extensive and informative markings. You can find some information on them here and here, and more information elsewhere online (often on jewellery related sites).

It's definitely possible to get a solid gold watch within your budget, but Omegas fetch a premium, so that may take some looking. Longines is an excellent suggestion. In the UK, it's easy to come across gold watches by Smith or Benson, as these were often presented as gifts (and can be re-engraved). You could also search for Dennison, the biggest UK casemaker (for both Swiss and British watches) till 1967.

Eve likes this.
  9. ChrisN Aug 15, 2018

You might get a slightly later gold Omega in your budget as well because they don't command the same premium. I advertised a mid 70s SM De Ville in solid gold that was a little above your budget but there were no takers here. They are not as desirable as the sixties models which are seen as better to collect so, there might be an opportunity to get a better watch for the same money.

The one you started looking at is overpriced even in UK but it seems to be from a bricks and mortar shop and they have rates to pay.

Regards, Chris