Forums Latest Members
  1. sirkrimzon Jan 21, 2019

2. wsfarrell Jan 21, 2019

I don't see any glaring issues---looks like a decent watch at a reasonable price. If it's keeping time within (roughly) 15 seconds a day, buy it and put a nice leather strap on it.

3. WATCHROCK Jan 21, 2019

Hi and welcome here - and actually I am new as well but I can still give some basic info from what I could find.

This model is indeed in the database of Omega and looks like the model from the link from what I can say (see below).
    Should be a model around 1954 (I cannot read the serial number on the picture because of the low quality) and it should be a CALIBER 283 Movement (Please check with the buyer or in a higher quality picture if this is the case).

Reference : CK 2760-9SC
    See for reference : https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-omega-other-omega-ck-2760

Crown seems original (?) from the pictures I found.
    Hands look at least original too.
    I cannot really comment on the following : Movement quality and dial (redial or not), case polishing, price ( but seems decent and no real rip-off).

I hope a true connaisseur or experienced member here can give you more details and verify.

Cheers from Seoul,

WATCHROCK

4. sirkrimzon Jan 21, 2019

Great thank you so much Watchrock. Do you know if it's common to find these lesser well known Omegas for such a low price?

5. WATCHROCK Jan 21, 2019

I am by no means an expert. From what I have seen after looking in the Omega Vintage Market 1950/60s (Seamaster and other Dress Watch models) it ranges from around 100USD to 1000USD and more for 1950/60s models. All depends of course on many factors such as "authencity" and condition (redial or not, all original parts, does the watch need to be serviced etc.) of the watch and if you buy it from a reputable Seller online (personal online store, ebay, chrono24 etc.) or in a brick&mortar store. I guess you need also to decide if you want to go hardcore collector or just amateur watch fan style that wants it for his/her lifestyle. IMHO as long as you know what you are getting and not overpay it is fine.

6. sirkrimzon Jan 21, 2019

Awesome thanks man. I appreciate you digging and finding that reference for me. Is the fact that there is some darkening from 3-4 o clock indicative or water damage or decreased value if I ever decide to resell?

7. sirkrimzon Jan 21, 2019

This was the info from the seller:
    This is a gorgeous beauty in great original condition! The original white/crème dial is in good condition, light patina. The rose gold indices and hands pop beautifully. The steel case is in excellent condition, sharp edges. The crown is original and Omega signed. The watch is a ref 2760-9SC, powered by a manual wind cal 1954. Service history unknown, but the watch works perfectly and keeps great time. It measures 35,2mm diameter without crown, and 43,5mm from lug to lug. - $500$375 incl CONUS shipping - pics: https://imgur.com/a/50E6POb

8. WATCHROCK Jan 22, 2019

Hm, i do not know - it could either attract buyers or drive them away but as long as watch is well taken care of you will get a good price for it - depending on the market too - although a Seamaster model will likely be easier sold I would guess.

It seems generally the trend goes towards an acceptance of Patina by collectors but as always it is always a personal preference as well.
    And as said I am no expert either - some people love Patina on the dial an some just hate it. I think though it adds charm and character to the watch. To be honest a Vintage watch of 50 to 70years age should be expected to have traces of daily use if it was in no safe or under anal care of a collector :).

In the case of this watch it is probably just a bit of humidity that came through the edge of the crystal forming this darker patina on this spot - I could be totally wrong too and you want to wait for a validated response from one of the experts here :).

You can read here two articles about PATINA and trends:

https://www.christies.com/features/The-patina-trend-in-watches-8023-1.aspx
    https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/aged-watch-dials-good-investment-or-ticking-time-bomb

Cheers & Best Regards from Seoul,

WATCHROCK

9. WATCHROCK Jan 22, 2019

Yeah, it is a Caliber 283 model from 1954 (Verified by looking at the serial number on the movement "14305489" -> 14xxxxxx = 1954)
    See reference here : https://www.watchfinder.co.uk/serial-numbers

And also it is correct that is a mechanical watch (handwinding) too since the dial has no "Automatic" indication on the dial.
    Seems all fine to me so far - the movement looks clean too and not manhandled (as far as I can see with my eyes and experience) but might need some service in the near future since the last service history is unknown - not sure about the cost but maybe 200 to 300USD(?).
    This seems like the only pitfall of this listing - might look for a recently serviced Seamaster model instead I would suggest.

I will leave detail evaluation as said before to the experts here in this Forum :).

Cheers,

WATCHROCK

10. bardamu Jan 22, 2019

It seems a nice watch to me, pretty original and decent, case included.
    Price is good, even if I'd have it in any case serviced after buying for a daily wearing.

11. sirkrimzon Jan 22, 2019

Thanks fellas. So you all seem to say the price is good but nothing exceptional. Is it common to find lesser known omegas for this price?

12. sirkrimzon Jan 22, 2019

Also do any of you think the crystal is replaced or did watches of this period have that raised bubble style crystal?

13. connieseamaster Jan 22, 2019

Domed crystals are super typical. I'd have been gobsmacked it it was anything but. Kaba is a very good seller and you should have no issues with his stuff being anything but as described.

14. Kwijibo Jan 22, 2019

the watch is rather decent but the crystal ugly. That said, it's not a big issue.

15. Dan S Jan 22, 2019

Looks ok, and I think the price is fair given the issues that have been discussed. I don't think it's a bad starter piece.

16. sirkrimzon Jan 23, 2019

Cool, thanks guys. I'm excited for my first Omega

17. joeshoup Jan 23, 2019

If it's any help, I've bought three watches from this seller (his writing style is very distinctive!) and have been very pleased with all of them. I've found him to be honest and very pleasant to chat with. His prices are a bit lower than you might find on the big auction site, but you won't likely make a profit if you decide to sell it on. If you like the watch and can part with the money, I'd say go for it!

Edited Jan 23, 2019
  18. WristScout Jan 24, 2019

I would not be hesitant buying from this guy. If I'm right it's a dealer from Reddit in the r/watchexchange, very trusted seller. If you like the piece and are comfortable with the price go for it!

19. j.allen Jan 24, 2019

Having nothing to do with the condition of the watch, I don't find it very attractive/desirable. However I'm not the one who is wearing it. You did say yourself that you were excited to own a less expensive Omega. I just think if you are patient you will find an example you like better. But don't let me overly influence your decision :) But consider what you'll spend for a new crystal and strap; that can go to upgrading to a nicer watch.