Forums Latest Members
  1. TheNewGuy Nov 14, 2018

I bought this watch and got it appraised. I would like to sell it to someone who will appreciate it and give it a good home. To that regard, I was wondering about the condition of the watch. The crystal has a scratch over the one o'clock tick (which should be visible in one of the photos), but the watch shop I took it to said they could get the scratch out of the acrylic crystal. Is it a good idea to pay to get the scratch removed? Does the scratch detract from the collectible value of the watch or is it not a big deal?

EDIT: Would it help if I provided more details about the watch?

Watch Colour 2.jpg Crystal Scratch.jpg
    Edited Nov 15, 2018
  2. Dan S Nov 14, 2018

It's fine to polish an acrylic crystal to remove scratches. Just don't polish the case.

connieseamaster and TheNewGuy like this.
  3. Co-axial Nov 14, 2018

Can you provide a close up of the dial and the lettering in particular?

TheNewGuy likes this.
  4. Shabbaz Nov 15, 2018

Looks like a GX6250...

5. Rochete Nov 15, 2018

It is the normal thing, all watches had plastic crystals back then. All parts seem genuine at first sight. Other than that: OK case (a bit polished) and heavily patinated dial (obvious).

TheNewGuy likes this.
  6. padders Oooo subtitles! Nov 15, 2018

What did the appraisal say?

7. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Nov 15, 2018

I would also recommend you read the board's sales rules before going much further.

TheNewGuy and Larry S like this.
  8. TheNewGuy Nov 15, 2018

I was more wondering if it was okay if I got the scratch polished out of the acrylic crystal; if it would be easier to sell if I did or would I just be paying out of my pocket to fix it and get no benefit to selling the watch, ie no return on investment so to speak. I figured you guys would be the ones to ask about this :)

9. Rochete Nov 15, 2018

A scratch can be polished out, a crack can't. You have described it both ways.

Edited Nov 15, 2018
    connieseamaster and TheNewGuy like this.
  10. TheNewGuy Nov 15, 2018

Are you inquiring as to the dollar amount or the specifications of the watch?

11. TheNewGuy Nov 15, 2018

I will try my best. I'm away from the watch right now and in school full time, but I'll put one up as soon as possible and to the best of my ability

12. TheNewGuy Nov 15, 2018

Interesting. I did a quick search of GX6250 and it does seem to resemble my watch. How long has the GX6250 been around for? Is there somewhere you know of where I can find out more about this particular model?

13. FREDMAYCOIN Nov 15, 2018

One thing I could tell you is that any decent watcmaker will polish the crystal at no charge to very minimal and it would help to evaluate the condition of the dial and possibly getting a bit more when you sell it. If it’s cracked it would benefit from a replacement crystal.

TheNewGuy likes this.
  14. TheNewGuy Nov 15, 2018

Just to be sure, you're referring to These sales rules?

15. TheNewGuy Nov 15, 2018

It's definitely just a scratch, not a crack; but thank you for the input :) In hindsight, I think the guy I went to said he'd do it for free. He at least implied it: he gave me a price for service and then the same price for service and polishing the crystal. I didn't even consider that it would help with dial evaluation; thanks for the advice!

EDIT: I was informed that I said both "crack" and "scratch" in the post by another user. I apologize for the confusion and I appreciate you giving me points for both scenarios. Thank you :)

Edited Nov 15, 2018
  16. TheNewGuy Nov 15, 2018

Apologies, I'll rectify that

17. TheNewGuy Nov 15, 2018

I'm about to show how green I am, but what is the issue with polishing the case? Is it because it hides potential blemishes?

18. redpcar Nov 15, 2018

It removes metal that can't be replaced.

TheNewGuy likes this.
  19. TheNewGuy Nov 15, 2018

I took these with the best camera I have, which is my phone lol. I had to crop them in order to get a close-up of the face and lettering. If you need a closer shot, I can try my best. I included several so it's easier to see what's actually on the watch face and what is a trick of the light.

Face 3.jpg Face 2.jpg Face 1.jpg Watch Face Colour (2).jpg
  20. Dan S Nov 15, 2018

It causes changes in the shape of the case. In particular, sharp edges and facets are smoothed and rounded over. This is a common mistake made by people who are inexperienced in an effort to remove minor scratches, they end up permanently destroying the thing that is much more important. I think that @ConElPueblo has a discussion of this in his sticky thread.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/learn-how-to-fish.52603/

This thread also discusses it.
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/condition-condition-condition-and-other-pieces-of-advice.1716/

TheNewGuy likes this.