New to the site and Need help identifying my Omega

Hi everyone, I need help in identifying my Omega. It was a wedding gift just before my father pasted away. I've had for 32 years (I'm 65) and am curious because I receive quite a bit of comments on it. I believe he said it's a 1954. It's a Manual wind, Plastic bezel (cover),18K Rose gold with an 18K Rose gold link bracelet which he may have added when he bought it in 1954 or 1955. He bought it new. He always had it serviced by a certified Omega tech and said that they would initial the inside back cover. I didn't have it serviced because it runs perfect.

The pictures are attached.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
George IMG_0630.JPG IMG_0631.JPG IMG_0633.JPG

Date seem about right. Bracelet was in fact added, it is not of a style which Omega themselves offered.

Dial unfortunately has been rather poorly refinished during it's life and the hands are damaged/replaced as well.

More information should be marked inside the case back. Take it to a jeweler to have the back removed and then take clear photos of the movement and inside the back.

Great family heirloom.

I had the dial refinished 32 years ago and the hands are bent but I wear it often. I'm trying to find out what model it is and the bracelet is something I can't find anywhere. The back looks very easy to open. I'm in Boston and finding a reputable Watchmaker is a challenge.

Case design is similar to some early bumper models with the same type of lug design.

that early may not have a reference number, but there is a s/n. Not all models have names

Crown doesn’t look correct. Finding replacement hands could be a problem. Probably easier to find a generic rose gold coloured crown than hands.

if the dial is not refinished in the original style. You need to measure from the middle of the Center post to 1/4 into the minute markers for the close as possible correct hand length. Might need to have them rose gold plated to match the case. Thin coating is fine for hands. 1-3 micron

Thanks so much. You guys are awesome. In 1993 I had a trusted and very reputable Omega dealer I know in in LA clean up the dial/face and replace the plastic bezel. I think he sent it to Omega. The hands became bent because the bezel popped off putting on a backpack and I didn't notice it for hours. Luckily it was on right next to my car door. The hand was lifted, and I tried to bend it back (my fault). It seems like the bezel pops in and then you turn it to tighten it. It's the first time it happened in 32 years.

I can't find a dial like this one. I would like to get an idea of what it is and what it may be worth out of curiosity. I'm not selling it; I'm passing it down to my son when he gets married unless he doesn't want it. It keeps perfect time (-1min very few weeks) and never had an issue.

Here's some history if it helps. My dad bought the watch new when he lived in Argentina, I think he said it's a 1954 (give or take 2 years) and had the bracelet either made or bought it at the same time (it may have had a leather strap). The bracelet is very unique in that it's all individual links.

Restoring it would probably cost a fortune. Plus, I wear it all the time and it will never be perfect. I have a few watches, and this is my favorite. I get more compliments and comments on it then I do my other nice watches. I'm not a collector, this may sound strange but it's like having part of my dad with me.

Here's a couple pics of the bracelet with engraving. One is 18k the other I'm not sure.

Thanks for helping me.
George IMG_0595.jpg IMG_0596.jpg

this may sound strange but it's like having part of my dad with me.
👍 Exactly right. Very nice heirloom.

By "bezel" do you mean the clear plastic, i.e. the "crystal"? The bezel is the gold ring around the crystal. If the crystal pops out easily, it is probably the wrong size or is maybe missing a tension ring. If you get a watchmaker to open the back and you find the reference number on the inside of the case back, you should be able to find the correct size crystal.

Hi, sorry, yes, I meant the crystal which is actually plastic. The gold ring around the crystal seems fine. The crystal doesn't pop off easily. It came off due to a backpack strap caught it. I wonder if after 32 years of use if the plastic crystal may shrink a fraction to loosen it. Or maybe the gold bezel may just need to be tightened down.

I can't find a dial like this one.
That may be because it was refinished, but I do find a few examples with a similar layout when I do a Google image search. They seem to be on "jumbo" 37mm watches. Do you know the case diameter, or can you measure it? That can help narrow down the case reference, but my novice suspicion is that you will ultimately find that it is a case made locally (maybe in South America? Maybe in the United States), in which case more info might be hard to come by. I think those cases are usually gold-filled, but if you see any markings on the case, it might clear that up. Perhaps rose gold cases are a different situation. Once again, most of these questions will be cleared up by the info inside.

That makes sense. Since my dad grew up in Argentina it could have been made there. It's definitely 18K. Is it possible to open the back myself? It looks very easy as I think it just pops off. I live in a small town Concord, Ma and there is a vintage watch dealer I can ask if needed. Not sure if he would charge to open it and look.

Is it possible to open the back myself?
With the right tools, it's possible, but it's easy to scratch the case if you're not experienced. I've marked watches doing it early on (even with the right tool), so I don't recommend it. If they service their watches, they should be able to open it easily for you free of charge, or at least point you in the right direction to someone who will.

Okay, thanks. That's how much I know, I thought I could pop it off with an exacto knife . Would be able to guess what it may be worth?

I forgot, I'll see the vintage dealer tomorrow. He has a great reputation. He opened his store as he was a collector and then retired. Plus, Concord being a very historic, small town he can't afford a bad reputation.

Would be able to guess what it may be worth?
Not me, sorry. I'm too inexperienced. (If you twisted my arm, I'd GUESS just under $1k if solid gold, but the repainted dial, hands, and crown are really too much for me to factor in)

Thanks, that's what I thought also without the band. I'll visit him tomorrow and update.

Nice heirloom and story. I wouldnt do much to it as you enjoy wearing and it keeps good time. Having the feeling of your dad with you is priceless.

Thanks everyone. This is a great forum and I appreciate that you don't ridicule or give a newbie a hard time. When I searched the web the closest match I found was a jumbo 1954 Omega Tresor or Seamaster. Though the band is not original it definitely makes the watch. I own a couple luxury watches and am amazed that the last time it was serviced was around 1996 and it keeps perfect time except running behind 1 or 2 minutes every couple of months.

It's funny, when my first company succeeded, I bought a couple toys, a stupid car and a two-tone Daytona with a white diamond dial. I sold it because I rarely wore it. I also get a lot of compliments and inquiries on this Omega. I sold both to start and wanted to start mysmartrenter.com to help protect people who rent from scams and nefarious landlords (my way of giving back).

I do notice a similarity that watch collectors are as passionate and helpful as guitar collectors. I'm passionate about guitars and have a nice collection.

Thanks for all the help, I greatly appreciate it. I'll update with the watch dealer's comments and pictures of the inside.

Whoever started this site and forums guys like me really appreciate it and its members.

George