Forums Latest Members
  1. brycieboy Feb 8, 2013

hello, im new to the forum after my watch addiction has grown i now own two omegas that have been passed down to me.

the first is a omega deville, this was my grandfathers. i believe this was bought when they lived in hong kong. unfortunately the band has had some links removed and is a little small for me so hopefully i can source some or if its not the original find out what it should be. this was recently cleaned and serviced (but i dont know how well as the second hand had been bent and was catching on the minute hand. but i learnt how to fix that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the second is from my dad (his parents purchased it while on holidays on some tax free island the name has slipped me tho)

this is the geneve

[​IMG].

the band is also not the original, so i would like to find out what came on this so i can make it look original. i also still have the box that it came in.
    unfortunately i have not been able to open the case on this. (currently waiting for some new tools)

hopefully someone can shed some light on these for me with any information as i would love to know morw about them.

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 9, 2013

Both look fine to me, they appear to be 1970s models or there abouts.

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 9, 2013

Also I do believe they still sell links for the first one

4. brycieboy Feb 10, 2013

a few more photos of the geneve

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the price tag is still inside the box under the watch.

and both together.

[​IMG]

so i need to find someone in melbourne vic *au* to service both the watches etc, and look into a new leather band and some links

5. brycieboy Feb 18, 2013

when i put the number from the case back into the omega site it omega site it says
    Genève

Gents' leather strap

Reference
    MD 166.0117
    International collection
    Movement
    Type: Automatic (mechanical)
    Caliber number: 1022
    Created in 1973
    23 jewels
    Central sweep-second hand
    Functions
    Day-date
    Case
    Gold-plated
    Case back
    Screw-in
    Dial
    With luminous hour markers and luminous metal hands.
    Crystal
    Armoured hesalite
    Bracelet
    Leather
    Water resistance
    30 meters
    but the watch is a DeVille with a metal strap. does anyone know why this is? "edit" also noticed it says lumunois bits. but it doesnt. unless im using the omega site wrong?
    my new tools should arive tomorrow so i will be able to pop the back off the geneve to see the number inside.

6. MyVintageOmega Feb 18, 2013

Good luck with your needs......and welcome to the forum:thumbsup:

7. brycieboy Feb 20, 2013

so my new tool kit arived today so i got to pull the case back off the geneve. it has the same number as the deville. i also got time to check if they did have lume. turns out they do.

i managed to do something i think i shouldn't have tho.. i had the crown removed to clean the glass and i think when i out it in it pushed the insides back, so now the crown does not go back in. can someone help me sort this out.... i also think i need to buy a cheap broken watch to play with now while i learn.

8. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Feb 20, 2013

Crowns will not always just slip back in, no pressure ever required, just apply gentle pressure to the crown screw and try gently inserting the crown at various positions. If it doesn't fit first time remove it slightly turn it a little and try again.
    Old watches are good to practice on, I started with large pocket watches which are not to expensive and the first time you resurrect one will be an experience not to be forgotten.

9. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 20, 2013

Did you press down again on the button when inserting the crown?

10. brycieboy Feb 20, 2013

yeah, i did it while pushing the button. i even popped the back off the other to make sure i was doing it the same way. but it does not go in.

the button look as if it sits further in than the other one. could that be something to do with it?

[​IMG]

11. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 20, 2013

Your using the screw/button circled in red, correct? And what is that on the case tube in the blue, looks like an o-ring? That should not be there.
    IMG_0790_zps32071ab3.jpg

12. brycieboy Feb 20, 2013

no. using the button directly above the screw (circled in green)

the bit in the blue is a small thin washer. i was un sure about that as the other watch does not have that.
    IMG_0790_zps32071ab3.jpg

13. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 20, 2013

Ok the yellow circled button should work easily . I have one of these and the stem goes in and out with no trouble. The wash or o-ring may have come from the(a) crown and as I said should not be there.

14. brycieboy Feb 20, 2013

yeah, as i said earlier i have 2 of these.. one goes in and out easily with the button. this one does not tho. it gets to that spot and wont go any further. iv tried twisting it etc. tho it does look like the button is opushed in further than the other i have. coild this be why?

15. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 20, 2013

You may have pushed part of the keyless works out of position. If so, you will have to remove the dial to gain access and reset. Not a difficult job it you are experienced and have the proper tools, otherwise a watchmaker can fix it up in short order.

16. brycieboy Feb 20, 2013

i dont know about experianced..(this probably wouldnt of happend if i was). but i have propper tools. i have been reading about doing it but everything says the hands need to all be at 12. without the winder i cant do this....

17. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 21, 2013

Yes you can, you set (place) them at 12 (or precisely on the hour) when you re-install the hands.
    You need to do some google searches for hand removal and installation illustrations. Same with the keyless.

18. brycieboy Mar 14, 2013

well after giving in after not being able to get one crown in. i pulled the other to make sure i was doing it the same way on then 2nd try it didn't go in.... after a quick email to a repairer they were both posted off for a service and to put the crowns back in.. i got them back the other day. both working well.

geneve

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

deville

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

both!

[​IMG]

i have a new brown band in the post for the geneve and i bought a band for the deville so i can grab a link out of it to make it fit a bit better. its not gold plated tho. still not sure if i will get it plated to match or put it at the end and hoe its not to noticeable

and most of my collection in the box
    [​IMG]
    omege geneve, omega deville, Valgine, Skagen & fossil.

edit:

after browsing forums i have another question....

can an automatic watch be wound by the crown? or is it only from movement?

nick_scap likes this.
  19. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 14, 2013

Most automatic watches can be manually wound.

There are exceptions like a Seiko 7S26 movement that only winds by the automatic rotor.

Your Omega's can be wound manually.

20. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 14, 2013

Not only that, but they should be wound manually if you're picking it up and putting it on after its would down to a stop, giving it 40 turns or so will give it its initial power reserve to keep good time off the auto winding during the day.