New to Omega, vintage or otherwise.

I am a beginner and this is my first post. My interest, previous to now, has been primarily toward vintage American watches. I thank you for your indulgence concerning the question below. I am trying to build some level of defense against the disappointment of purchasing a fake.

After much rumination, it is the Omega brand that I am most interested in for Swiss watches. Like any beginner, fakes are one of my main concerns. I have a question on hands for Omega watches: It seems like the vast majority of Omega watches I have seen include rather long minute and hour hands, both extending at least to the numerals on the watch face. Is this pretty much the rule with authentic, vintage Omega watches?, the hour hand will extend at least to the numerals? I ask because I have seen a few rather enticing examples that feature hour hands that are much shorter than normally seen.

Thanks,

Wayne

It depends on various factors, including the location of the markers, the style of the hands, the specific reference, etc. There are many examples where the hour hand does not extend to the hour markers, and some variants where the hour hand slightly overlaps the hour markers. Often the minute hand extends to the outer edge of the hour markers, but not always, it depends on the location of the minute markers. I'd suggest posting photos if you have a specific question, we have no idea what style or era of watch you are referring to.
Edited:

Thanks. I appreciate the need for photos, and will do so in future. Examples that I have seen, and prompted my question, have hour hands that extend to nowhere near the hour markers, sometimes extending to only half-way between center and hour marker.

This would be an example:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Hey, welcome to the forum! Other members here will be much more knowledgeable than me, but some initial advice: we'd need better photos. It's hard to tell anything from this sort of image. What we can see looks to be in very rough shape.

What is it that you like about this model? Surely there must be better examples out there that we can help you consider.

It is manual wind and it is stated to be manufactured in 1939, so it ticks off my main interests, i.e. old manual wind watches. Patina/wear is something that has always attracted me, whether it be watches, cameras, motorcycles, or guitars. My biggest concerns are that it works properly, and is actually what it is supposed to be. I appreciate the responses, and, having looked through some other posts, already have an appreciation for the level of knowledge represented by this forum. My purpose in posting this photo was to illustrate the matter of short hands.

Ideally, my dream Omega would be an old, authentic, perfectly operating Neptune Trident that was so ugly only a guy like me could love it. 😀

Best,

Wayne

The hands look ok on that watch as best as can be seen.
Generally the minute hand and central second hand will extend to the minute markers on the dial, but not past them. They can be a little shorter, but not by very much. Of course there are variations.

the best thing to do is get quality photos before you buy and post them here. There is deep knowledge here and lots of helpful members.

s-l1600.jpg

A better photo would help, but the hands look to be replaced on that watch. The dial may also be repainted. Keep posting photos of specific examples.
Edited:

s-l1600.jpg

I would say that all of the hands have been replaced.

Probably had leaf style hands originally.

Screen Shot 2023-03-14 at 6.54.38 PM.png

Thanks.

This another I have been orbiting:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Does this look like an authentic, unmolested Sea Master?
Best,
Wayne

The SM30 looks ok at first glance, but the dial has pretty bad damage, probably water. You will find many watches in better condition on the sales forum here.

Yeah, if you are into vintage time only seamasters with patina, the sales forum here should keep you pretty well supplied.

If you like DeVilles -- basically "cheaper" models with a wide assortment of dial combinations across the years -- keep an eye on the Vintage Omega Ebay thread as well.

I immediately landed on that linen faced Seamaster, above, but have my heart set on a manual wind model. Thanks for the reference, though.

Well, given my love for ugly, but authentic, I fell in love with this. It is not a Neptune, but close enough. Does it look authentic?

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

If so, I will likely jump.

I noticed the rubber seal in the case. Was this the early means of water resistance, before the Seamaster?

I don't know what a Neptune is, but Seamasters also have rubber seals.

That watch appears to have luminous numbers on the dial, but not luminous hands.

Also, you can find something with age, but still appealing. It doesn't have to be ugly. Some uniform overall patina without too much damage. Like this 2640 I just sold on the forum.

IMG_4246.jpeg

Or some others I have sold on the forum.

IMG_1651.jpeg old1.jpeg

Or if you like even more patina, something like this:

IMG_4257.jpeg

Ohhh. I was referring to the watch model featuring the trident hand. I have seen the watch described as Omega Neptune Trident. Doing a Google search under that name yields results. I have also seen them under "Medicus," but I thought Medicus referred more specifically to a watch of that vintage with a sweep second hand. Most of the Trident watches I have seen feature the sub dial for seconds.

But back to the watch I just posted photos of: other than the fact that the face may have been molested at some time in the past, does it appear to be authentic Omega?

That Turler Seamaster really catches my eye. Beautiful.