Forums Latest Members
  1. happytapy Aug 24, 2015

Hi Everyone,

I hope this is the correct place to post an introduction. Admin, please move me on if this is in the wrong area (thank you).

I have been on the forum for a few days now, adding a bit to some of the conversation here and there but had forgotten to introduce myself. Sorry for that. I have learned in the past few days just how great it is to be here on a friendly forum, where there is humour and the comments expressed are sincere and thoughtful. I am a new member here and also to Omega watches. I have always admired Omega watches, so what took me so long? I had never been compelled to buy any Omega watch before even though I have always liked them (priorities I guess).

I never imagined I would eventually buy an Omega. I am a Breitling man at heart, but I have a great liking for other makers too, such as O & W, Yema, Heuer. Recently though, I have been bitten by the SMP bug. My recent acquisition is a SMP 4, which I absolutely adore. As you can see from the pics here, it needs a little work, which will be carried out by a trusted friend and watchmaker in the not too distant future. It's kind of a longer term project for me, and one I am keen to get started (at least).

[​IMG]

I particularly like SpeedMasters in all there forms, but keener still is my interest in all things Mk 2, 3, 4, and 4.5. It goes without saying that this includes the FlightMaster and the Spacemaster variants. My perspective is always from a watch case design angle more than anything else. I couldn't really tell you the differences between movements nor how to spot a refurbed Omega from a NOS, but I fully appreciate case design and what goes into them.

[​IMG]

I have to say at the outset; whoever designed the Mk2 was IMHO, a genius. Thats one in the background of the above pic (a friends grey dial version I am refurbing the case only). The fact it is not an outboard lug watch case and is streamlined and minimalist and arrived at the time of great excitement over the Moonwatch is a curious thing. I am trying to figure out why that came about and what was the reason for green lighting something so different at that time. I realise other makers had similar designs and I can see that competition in this area might have been the reason.

I am not a watchmaker, but have a modest tinkerer's corner and workshop at home. I enjoy the peace and calm working on watches brings when I am not at my desk doing the things we all have to do, to pay the bills. My working day is hectic. One of my recent refurbs has been an old Le Jour I picked up earlier this year. This watch was a wreck when I bought it (I knew this before I put my money down) but with some careful cleaning, finishing and replacing I have put it back to a stage that I am satisfied with the result. The case has been media blasted at 3bar with 220 grit aluminium oxide. The lume is shot but the dial is clean. It ticks away nicely on its double padded strap and is very comfortable to wear. The mil type finish adds a point of difference to stainless and was my first foray into media blasting.

[​IMG]

I could not help myself. My Breitling obsession, and the need for a slide rule bezel on the back of this one. It was the only place I could add it onto the watch. I added this to an expo case back to appease to my inner geek.

[​IMG]

I have also had a go at an old Bucherer 7000. It too was a mess on receipt, but with the help of my watchmaker friend, who serviced the cal 7750 movement, I have a functioning watch. My first attempt at Sunray brushing, which to my eye is a little too bright. Other than that, this one has great presence. I have to keep in mind that its only 41mm wide as it looks much bigger on the wrist than the specs would suggest.

[​IMG]

When I replaced the glass of this one, I quickly noticed the deep, deep Wedgewood dark blue colour of the tachy bezel. I was stunned at just how beautiful it really was without glass over it. Never seen a tachy bezel like that before. Picture here does not do it justice.

[​IMG]
    Yes, if you are wondering if there is a slide rule bezel on the back of this one too, then you are correct. I am just too embarrassed to show anyone the pic.

I guess you can see where my collection is coming from and going too!. All these shield or helmet watches (what is the right term for these cases?) and so much to learn. Thank you for taking the time to read through and look forward to adding to the Omega conversations here.

Cheers.

eek[1].png
    Mad Dog, Spacefruit and Jones in LA like this.
  2. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Aug 24, 2015

Welcome! And thanks for posting those photos. That's an impressive collection of really cool watches!

3. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Aug 24, 2015

Hi and welcome to the forum.

4. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Aug 24, 2015

Hello and welcome.
    I believe omega watch cases like this are referred to as Pilot Line cases. Personally I find them hideous, but as the saying goes, one mans meat is another mans poison.

happytapy likes this.
  5. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Aug 25, 2015

Welcome aboard. Be prepared to part with your hard earned money if you hang around here long enough. :D

happytapy likes this.