Forums Latest Members
  1. cvrle1 Jul 31, 2016

Hey everyone, stumbled upon this forum while I was googling some Omega watches. Looks like a great place with hordes of info and knowledgeable people, so I am glad I found you :)

I was always interested in Omega watches but never owned one, nor have I done much research into them. I am a bit of a James Bond fanatic, so I got introduced to them back in 1995. Before that it was Rolex, but unless I win a lottery, I know I am not getting one of those. So Omega kinda took over in that regard.

One day I would like to get a nice Omega dress watch, but am in no hurry. Just looking round I did stumble on one watch that I was curious if it is original, or if it had dial replaced. I tried googling for other examples, but cant really find one (didnt spend too much time granted) This watch would be more of a present for my dad's bday, so wanted to get some feedback. Not too many pics am afraid

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If it is all original, what would be approximate fair price?
    Stupid question, but is this guys watch? Seen some ladies ones that kinda looked similar, so not sure
    Thanks and look forward to learning from you and picking your brains, if you allow me to that is :)

2. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Aug 1, 2016

I'll chip in with some limited information. Obviously it's and Omega Constellation. I believe it to be from the late 80s/early 90s International Collection with a calibre 1444 quartz movement. It has unusual bar type lugs. It's also quite small at <35mm across.

With regard to value, it's small, quartz and the unusual lugs severely limits off the shelf strap choices. As such, there is not a lot of love for these and if I was pushed, I'd say <$300 in really good condition.

All that having been said, these days it's more likely to fall into the unisex/ladies watch category. If I was looking for a gift for my father, I'd have a look elsewhere including the sales forum here.

*edit* After Desmond's comments below, and having checked sold listings on eBay, I'd agree that my initial price estimate is a bit on the low side for good quality quartz constellations. Maybe $500ish would be closer. Higher prices seem to be for examples with some gold content. Still think it may be a bit small ;)

Edited Aug 1, 2016
    cvrle1 likes this.
  3. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Aug 1, 2016

Yes, NOS example by the look of it. May be worth a bit more than 300 because of its status, but it is quartz (cal 1444), which is a bit like garlic to a Vampire on this forum.

Case is comparatively small compared to the aircraft carrier sizes of today. They were produced from 1985 into the 90s as a dress watch and were called "Hibou" which means owl: for obviously reasons when you look at the dial. Very nice piece of design. The central lugs were an Omega original, copied by many others in the 80s, and were based on a design for single lugged cases that Omega patented in 1936.

If you have a small wrist, under 6 3/4 inches, it would look fine, maybe even stand out because of the distinctive dial.

Cheers

Desmond

alam, OMGRLX, cicindela and 2 others like this.
  4. cvrle1 Aug 1, 2016

Thanks for the responses and help. More of a general question now. Is there some sort of newbies Omega must read information to get you started off sort of a thing? Something online preferably.

I am sure I will have more questions coming, so I will keep them in here so that i dont spam the forum with questions :)

Thanks again

OMGRLX likes this.
  5. Edward53 Aug 1, 2016

You're looking at it. Desmond's blog is a good place to read about Constellations but everything else is scattered throughout this forum and it's a matter of going through it, there is no quick and easy option.

cvrle1 likes this.
  6. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Aug 1, 2016

It's a bit like asking if there is one definitive online article about Ford motor cars. I'm afraid you will have to put in quite a few hours online doing your own research. Maybe start here and follow some links. Have fun!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega_SA

Foo2rama and cvrle1 like this.
  7. cvrle1 Aug 1, 2016

Thanks again Edward and Mouse. I know what I'll be doing at work tomorrow and next several months haha

As for the Connie above, found it for about $350 all in, so wanted to see how close pricing was (I didnt buy it)

Edited Aug 1, 2016
  8. cvrle1 Aug 3, 2016

Found a Seamaster Cosmic that I am curious about. Looks like hands may not be original, going by google search. Belt has been replaced. Ref 166035, looking at the back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks again for the help and info.

9. cvrle1 Aug 3, 2016

More of a general question about these old watches. What is the accepted norm, or median if you will, for accuracy in regards to time? I see some that are off by 10 seconds, some less, some more, they are all over the place, but no idea what is acceptable, and what should be stayed away from in that regard.

10. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 3, 2016

There really is none. These are 40 to 50 year old watches, worked on over these years by many different watchmakers. Some were masters, others, not so much.

When they were new, it was expected that a non-chronometer an Omega should be within + or - 5-10 sec. a day at the worst. Most were better than that from the factory. Chronometers were supposed to be -4 to +6 sec./day.

I have some watches from the 1920's that keep time to less than 5 sec. a day. I have some from the 1970's that aren't close to that.

All in the skill of the last watchmaker to work on it and the length of time from the last service.
    gatorcpa

OMGRLX likes this.
  11. cvrle1 Aug 3, 2016

Thanks for the info. Good to know for future.

12. novina Aug 4, 2016

Everyone wants to learn. Read a lot here. Do some initial research before asking about something. If you have a watch in question, tell us what you think about it and you will see if you are right or still need to learn. Learn how to read the information on the watch, case reference numbers, caliber numbers and serial numbers. Use the Vintage Omega database first to check things out before posting or in conjunction with your post. Use the search function here. Read the stickies. And all questions are welcome. But we do expect some type of genuine research on your part. Speedmaster101, Desmond's Consrellation blog, and others. A lot to learn and a lot of collective knowledge here.