Forums Latest Members

New to Me: TAG Heuer Professional 200m

1. kip595 Jul 11, 2020

Just introducing my newest addition. Was checking a local jeweler today for a gift and when I walked in the salesman recognized me from my watch searches in the past. I should mention here he also knows my love of dive watches...

"I have got something you want to see," he said laughing, before going to the small counter section where the estate watches are kept.

He then produced the following (low res snaps from getting in tonight):

cp tag 2.jpeg cp tag 1.jpeg

Lovely if not mint example of a late 80s 200m blue/blue 38mm. There are some age 'spots', but the quartz movement was cleaned and ok'd by their watch expert (I've trusted his past work) before being pressure tested last week. It had been in the display case a few days by today, but they don't have a high watch turnover and as the guy said, 'he had a feeling I'd be in soon', so for a few minutes of pleasant haggling and a few dollars snagged a great example of the 1000 line from when I was but a lad.

I could wish it just said 'Heuer' at the top of the dial, but that just gives me a good friend of this one's to look for next time. ;)

And hey, the 38mm fits me better by far anyway! :)

2. JwRosenthal Jul 11, 2020

These are nice no-nonsense divers for the money- and at 38mm they are bang on for size IMO. The only thing that has kept me from buying one is the quartz movement, but hey- it was the 80’s, just like blow- everyone was doing it!

Tako Yaki, Scarecrow Boat and kip595 like this.
  3. kip595 Jul 11, 2020

::facepalm2:: ::psy::

Haha I don't mind having one or two quartz in the box; it was a 2561.80 that got me hooked on the hobby after all :)

4. pongster Jul 12, 2020

hmmm. blow and tags. :)

5. Muttley Jul 12, 2020

OP - what a great find :thumbsup:. Blue dial looks very nice.
    Not all 1000's were quartz - I love my auto ::love::

TAG_Dial01.JPG

kip595, shiloh_101 and JwRosenthal like this.
  6. ollipekka Jul 13, 2020

I have currently both 980.023 and and 980.006. I love both the quartz and auto versions, but I do not think the automatics are currently worth the price unless you're collecting them. The asking prices for 844 are now closer 3000 euros, and you can get A LOT of more watch for that price even in the vintage world. This money gets you an entry-level Carrera and puts you halfway to the Autavia territory.

My 980.006:
    [​IMG]

There are also other Monnin cased watches with better movements and different dials variants. For example Aquadive offers refreshing dial configurations.