Forums Latest Members
  1. cantinker59 Apr 11, 2016

Hello All,
    A little while back I posted some photos asking about a 1958 Seamaster I was thinking of purchasing. I got the "thumbs up" so pulled the trigger. It arrived a few days ago with what the seller described as an "eBay bracelet". It had the Omega logo on the clasp so it must be legit...right? Probably a prototype from when Omega was experimenting with making an aluminum bracelet. No matter. I picked up a Hirsch for $4 (not a typo) and made the switch. I'm pretty sure the case has been polished and I don't see a logo in the center of the crystal. Neither of those things bother me too much. Now I'd be interested in the opinions/observations of those with much more knowledge than myself.
    Thanks in advance,
    Tom Back.jpg Dial.jpg Movement.jpg

kingsrider, Giff2577 and GregH like this.
  2. Optimizer13 Apr 11, 2016

Great find dude! Looks like a honest watch to me. Movement is really mint. That strap looks awesome too! Wear it in good health :thumbsup:

Edited Apr 11, 2016
  3. KstateSkier Apr 11, 2016

Movement is super clean. Minty!

4. dx009 Apr 11, 2016

Movement is fine and crisp. I take it that the crown is not signed ? Don't think it's the correct one for this model. The case has indeed been polished, on the back, at least. Plenty of round edges... And I guess since you said the glass doesn't have a hologram it is probably just a non-original replacement.

It came with a metallic bracelet ? Maybe post a pic of it as well. There are fakes out there as well, fyi.

The hour markers and hands seem a little brushed from the picture, but the dial itself is untouched. Might want to research that aspect for a bit...

Would be nice to get a proper crown and perhaps relume the hands and maybe the markers...

5. cimo Apr 11, 2016

Great piece! It looks great on leather. The crystal is no biggie, but if you ever wanted an Omega signed crystal they are out there to be had. Enjoy and wear it well.

6. cantinker Apr 11, 2016

The crown is signed but it doesn't seem correct to me either.
    [​IMG]
    As for the bracelet.....
    [​IMG]

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

KstateSkier likes this.
  7. Schmedsc Apr 11, 2016

Great purchase! Looks sharp with the leather band!

8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 11, 2016

Look at your reply compared to the others so far. Less is more.

Nice pick up, easy to source a crown and crystal. Nice movement there.

Try not to carry on with a full assessment

efauser likes this.
  9. BrandonP Apr 11, 2016

Beautiful Omega! Welcome to the 58' club! I love the band!

10. ulackfocus Apr 12, 2016

My favorite font for Seamaster.

Please be VERY careful about making that proclamation. "Prototype" and "uncle" are dirty words here that usually translate to "fake". That Beads of Rice bracelet is most likely just that - counterfeit. There's been a rash of them on eBay for years.

..... but ....... but ....... but he makes himself sound so much more knowledgeable that way! :rolleyes: :p

To assess dx009's assessment, what you see on the hands and markers is not the result of "brushing". It's a little corrosion, which is perfectly normal for a 50+ year old watch. Truly experienced members would know that with a glance.

Oh, and Tom / @cantinker59 - do NOT relume the hands and dial unless you can find somebody who can stain the lume to give it an aged look.

So here's how our Men on Watches judges Blaine Edwards and Antoine Merriweather voted.......

Tom's new watch: Two snaps up! Would have received the coveted "in a circle" if the crown was correct and all the original lume was intact. :thumbsup:
    dx009's evaluation: Hated it! :thumbsdown:

efauser and STANDY like this.
  11. cantinker59 Apr 12, 2016

Sorry. That was my attempt at humour (or humor depending on your location). I doubt very highly that ``Omega was experimenting with making an aluminum bracelet``.
    As for any of my remaining uncles. I again doubt very highly that any of them owns an Omega. You can rest assured you won`t see any of those posts from me.
    I was conceived in `58 so the watch and I are the same age. Other than an eventual cleaning/oiling of the movement my little Seamaster will wear it`s blemishes and signs of age as I do. No Botox or plastic surgery for me!
    The only changes I might consider in the future are the crown (if it`s certain it`s not correct to the watch) and the crystal.
    Thanks everyone for your input!
    Tom

12. ConElPueblo Apr 12, 2016

Don't worry, some of us got the joke ;)

Where are you from? You have both humour AND aluminum?

13. abrod520 Apr 12, 2016

The only two qualities I look for in new friends!

14. ulackfocus Apr 12, 2016

Okay, got it. We need a sarcasm font.

15. Ravineman Apr 12, 2016

a very nice watch. I really enjoy stainless case watches, especially Seamasters

16. ConElPueblo Apr 12, 2016

Or people who understand sarcasm ;)

17. cantinker Apr 12, 2016

Canada..... not sure where my spell check is from.

18. cantinker Apr 13, 2016

Suddenly I have a "For Rent" avatar. Did someone not like the one I had originally?