Forums Latest Members
  1. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 19, 2017

"I understand the incentive (even the urge) to equip a watch with all visible or invisible original parts, but come on, this is the plastic."

Underlining added by me...this is what I was referring to, and to me it appears to be a judgement that the OP was going overboard in wanting an original crystal.

Cheers, Al

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 19, 2017

Let's calm down here just a bit...:)

Understand that we're talking about a difference of maybe $20 to $100, depending on the particular reference.

Over the the life of the watch (or the crystal -- whichever comes first), it's really a pittance. For a mid 4-figure Speedmaster, it's an extremely low percentage of value.

To me, it's like trying to skimp on cost by using an off-brand oil filter on your car. You certainly can do that, and chances are you'll probably be OK.

However, if a seal fails, you've got some issues.
    gatorcpa

3. Motman Jun 19, 2017

If it's not really important to get the correct glass, why bother with the correct watch? Just get a look alike Speedmaster and save your pennies that way.

4. cagkut Jun 20, 2017

For a Speedy yes you are right, the plexi is indeed a fraction of the total value but for a basic Seamaster the overall picture is a bit different. And the oil filter analogy is valid if we are comparing two oil filters that are similar except the OEM one has the logo and the other one has no logo on it. If the latter does the job fine why bother to replace it.. I see guys buying $200 watches and spending another few hundred bucks to bring those watches to "factory specs" trying to put original parts in or on those watches while thinking they are doing something worth doing, which is not the case. They are just wasting their money. That is my point.

5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 20, 2017

Only "they" can decide that.

I think an extra $30 for a factory crystal on a nice old Seamaster is money well spent. You do not.

We will agree to disagree on that point.
    gatorcpa

6. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Jun 20, 2017

I have bought about 9? vintage Seamasters and Geneves. In every case that the watch had an after market crystal, I immediately replaced it. Omega hesilite crystals have a unique and recognizable appearance. A softness and clarity that you do not see in after market crystals. Additionally, I have seen after market tension rings that damaged the dial, leaving wear marks on the surface.

PS In my opinion. silver ring would suit your watch.

7. Rumar89 Jun 20, 2017

kingsrider likes this.
  8. j.allen Jun 21, 2017

Cant really tell from the picture, but it looks like there is a silver one in place if you look around the 9 o'clock hour marker, but there is gold reflection around the rest of the periphery so it's hard to tell.

The original crystal looks better and fits better, but I can't source one for less than about 70 dollars. I can get a generic for10. I've had issues with a replacement crystal 6 months or a year later no longer sealing water out.

9. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Jun 21, 2017

I'm confused. Your post seems to be referring to two different watches. The OP's and a watch we have not seen yet.