Forums Latest Members
  1. wachen Jun 29, 2015

Hi all,
    A newcomer to the vintage watch scene because of a recent "hand-me-down" from my father. I believe everything is original, and the last service was probably more than 20 years ago...

Last week I used PolyWatch to get rid of some of the scratches on the crystal. However, as you can see, there are two large cracks (4 and 6 o'clock positions).

Through talking with few people, the general consensus is to have it serviced and cleaned up, but nothing else. In exchanging messages with a very reputable watchmaker, he suggested:

"Movement cleaning and service, some interior parts if needed, replacement of all seals so in this case crystal, crown and gasket, refinish on the case and bracelet (if applicable)"

Question:
    My goal is preservation and not total restoration. What should I have done to the watch and what not to do when sending this one in to get serviced?

The case is pretty scratched up...but the chamfers on the lugs are still pretty well defined. Should I just live with the scratches and not "refinish the case" as suggested by the watchmaker?

Thanks in advance.

19000412860_38f356686c_k.jpg 19182064302_16be76669a_k.jpg 18565138594_0faac2f034_k.jpg 19191253191_bfbbb6af9a_k.jpg 18565550884_4ad9992800_k.jpg

noelekal likes this.
  2. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Jun 29, 2015

Movement service and seals and crystal sound good. You'll want to talk with the watchmaker in person about the case. Nothing wrong with a respectful scratch removal as long as it's not overbuffed.

Get the hands relumed, since the lume is falling out anyways. You'll want to ask for white Super Luminova.

I'd also consider a replacement of those end-pieces... but they don't really fit the watch, so maybe a strap is worth looking at.

My suggestions are based on wearing the watch daily versus once a month and otherwise set on the altar.

Tom

3. wachen Jun 29, 2015

VetPsychWars, Thanks for the response. I do plan on wearing it...perhaps not daily, but maybe once a week. I also do plan on getting a leather strap for it and just keep the bracelet stored.

So, replacing the crown is a part of a standard full service?

4. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jun 29, 2015

Lovely Connie

I wish I had hand me downs like that!
    I don't suppose it came with papers and a box?

A late cal 561 pie-pan with a hidden crown case and a BOR bracelet -I'll say it again -lovely

The dial is incredibly clean for a nearly 50-year old watch
    -the movement looks to be in really good nick too -just needs a good servicing
    -great case back and medallion

Personally I'd live with any scratches on the case -they don't look that bad -and they were done in the service of your father -just get it and the bracelet cleaned.
    You could always have it polished later if the scratches bug you.

I think you can get 'true' replacement crowns for this case style -so you can feel comfortable getting it replaced -just keep the original one.

The dial is so bright that I agree with @VetPsychWars that replacing the lume in the hands with white Super wouldn't look too odd -depends on how good your watchmaker is -definitely have the old lume removed from the hands -since it is falling out anyway and will only end up screwing with the movement.

Change the crystal for a new Omega one -it makes the watch look amazing when its done.

I don't know enough about end links to comment -it amazes me how these things get swapped out if they have been.

Finally -post some more pics when it comes back from the spa.

enjoy your father's watch!

Philip

noelekal likes this.
  5. wachen Jun 29, 2015

Thanks Philip for the comments and the suggestions. Unfortunately, no paper or box...the only thing I know is that he bought it in Hong Kong around 1966 or 1967.

I assume then I should relume the hour marks as well? Looks like there are dots at the top end of each hour marker.

6. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Jun 29, 2015

If you feel it can be done as subtly as was done originally then not a problem with the hour markers. I've seen some pretty bodgy jobs, so you may need to be very explicit in your instructions.

Cheers

Desmond

noelekal likes this.
  7. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Jun 29, 2015

Replacement of the crown depends on who's doing it. Some can just change the crown seals and all are good. Omega generally just changes the crown itself.

But you will want to check quite closely for just the right watchmaker for this piece. Family pieces are pretty special.

Tom