Forums Latest Members
  1. Exiztence Mar 22, 2018

Hello, first post here, I managed to get a a CK2998 that was stored in drawer for some 30 years sold to me from original family (technically it belonged to first husband for whom wife bought it during holiday in swiss in 70s and second was selling it), I did some research and as far as I call tell the watch was serviced in 70-80s (given bezel font and dial font) during which the bezel/hands/dial/pushers/crown were replaced, I took a look under the hood and movement is 189... serial which should fall in range with 2998-61 caseback, it does not have symmetrical clutch but I assume that since all parts were replaced at one period it was just part of service, the movement is clean with parts being of same color, I wound it yesterday and accuracy is around +5/24, chrono starts stops (lot better action than 861 if I may so), minute register hands aligns with indices all along, hour register is not working and chrono sometimes doesn't reset altogether on first try, overall I would say that movement (given what I just said) seems in good condition.

My questions is, as far as I understand the silver rehaut is part of crystal? I found some crystals on eBay for 2998/105.002 that have the silver rehaut, these crystals are still being made or are aftermarket? I would like to get a hold of original dial and probably just go with service hands, but I haven't found any history of sales what ballpark do these go for? I understand that it's rare especially since most were replaced for service ones, I guess I could always got for tritium non prof applied logo as service alternative?

dial.jpg movement.jpg caseback.jpg

Etp095 and joerg like this.
  2. Dash1 Mar 22, 2018

Depending on what you paid it seems to be a nice find, although some critical (read expensive) parts are missing. To answer your questions, yes the silver rehaut crystal is still made by Omega, the only difference is the change in design of the omega symbol in the centre of the crystal but hardly any 60’s watches retain their original crystal so that’s not considered a problem at all. Original dials do come up for sale, finding a nice one requires a lot of patience and deep pockets (several thousand euros) and you need to know exactly which dial you are looking for as there are quite a few small changes. I wouldn’t bother using an aml service dial since it will still be the wrong dial and the dial you have already has nicer patina.
    The hands look like nice tritium ones so you only need to find the chrono hand. Lastly a nice DON bezel is not hard to find (several for sale here in the forum and on eBay I think) but of course you have to pay.

morningtundra, Etp095 and Exiztence like this.
  3. Dash1 Mar 22, 2018

Oh and the bezel you have is getting more valuable all the time, probably worth £500 or so at the moment, but if you intend to wear the watch you might consider keeping that bezel on just in case you lose it!

Exiztence likes this.
  4. Exiztence Mar 22, 2018

Thank you very much for the reply, I would really like an AML dial lacking professional since I feel like that's the essence of these premoons, hands are fine but once again I feel like since it's 2998 it should have alpha hands and arrow chrono second hand. I am not fussed about having a perfect dial, I think even damaged one or one missing lume would be improvement for me as I sadly don't have that deep pockets and this was more of bargain, photos were crap and seller didn't know how to open the watch, due to black rehaut I assumed I was getting 105.003 and nice project but after seeing CK2998 on the caseback I felt out of my depth so to speak.

Etp095 and MaiLollo like this.
  5. mr_yossarian Mar 22, 2018

This is going to be very expensive getting it into a state of a good, authentic 2998. The wrong clutch bridge will reduce value, but if you want it for yourself, that shouldn't bother you in first place.
    Especially (if considered to be in a usable/restorable condition) finding the dial and Alpha-Hands will be very hard and very expensive. Finding a DON-Bezel will be comparable easy and "cheap". I hope you are young, you will need a lot of time :)

Anyway, it's a rare watch, enjoy it!

EDIT: Clutch bridge could be ok, could be a transitional Caliber 321, but can't tell if they were used in 2998-61, don't have MWO at hand. Anyone?

Edited Mar 22, 2018
  6. MaiLollo Mar 22, 2018

Congrats ! If it was cheap, it can be a daily wearer and if you can find the correct parts down the line, you can bring it back to correct specs ;)

7. Exiztence Mar 22, 2018

Thank you for kind responses, yes it was rather cheap all things considered, I will have to think the course of action, I don't really wanna wear it now as it wasn't serviced and I feel like just wearing without service could cause damage to movement, but at the same time if I service it now it will have to get open again if/should I get parts.

joeshoup likes this.
  8. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Mar 22, 2018

You can still wear it...just don't wind it ;) It will still tell the time correctly at least twice per day...

lando, marco, stefman and 1 other person like this.
  9. Exiztence Mar 22, 2018

I mean, you are not wrong, wear it Andy Warhol style because it's beautiful not for time ;)

10. Exiztence Mar 22, 2018

I guess that is true, but I am debating whether I should just source correct luminova handset + dial + crystal have it serviced and wear it (hope it's not against rules but it looks pretty decent to me: https://www.lunaroyster.com/archive...a-speedmaster-ck-2998-3-straight-lug-pre-moon)

I mean this handset + dial is not correct but it does have some pretty good patina, while obviously luminova would be forever white but it will be closer to how it left the factory.

11. mr_yossarian Mar 22, 2018

marco likes this.
  12. Exiztence Mar 22, 2018

I merely picked that because it was an example with said replacement luminova pieces.....and he had pretty photos :) In grand scheme I feel like having it serviced and adding correct handset/dial/crystal will give me most enjoyment as it will look like a proper CK2998 for not much money while still having the same sleeve polished case (I will post some photos later) and the phenomenal 321 while giving me time to find proper dial or just flip it when magic runs out. For past 5 years I usually owned one proper watch (5 digit GMT or ceramic Sub) and bought something fun for few months like 1st generation TAG Monaco or Reverso Tribute 1931, not much of vintage guy actually, I mean I know first and last thing about vintage Subs and GMTs but I never actually owned one due to attainability and practicality, so I guess I could I am passive vintage guy. I currently have pretty much NOS 2 line 14060 and Reverso Tribute 1931 which I will sell since I ended up buyin the CK2998.

13. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Mar 22, 2018

Its also not against the rules to get it relumed, so that it at least looks the part. A relumed dial/handset that looks like old tritium as opposed to factory luminova that could never have been on the watch 55+ years ago would IMO be more pleasing, and equally as sinful...

nixf6, marco and mr_yossarian like this.
  14. Exiztence Mar 22, 2018

I am not sure if I would go that far, it would obviously look better but wouldn't it be..cheating? Feels like a moral / psychological debate now :>

15. mr_yossarian Mar 22, 2018

It wouldn't. As long as you don't try to cheat people with it. :)

16. Exiztence Mar 22, 2018

Maybe that's why I feel that way, I would feel like I am pretending to have something more than I actually have on first glance, without even engaging in discussion about the watch. But at same time it would probably look hella good.

marco likes this.
  17. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Mar 22, 2018

he meant 'when you sell it'. full disclosure/honesty when selling.

18. DonovanMartin Mar 22, 2018

Still a great find of a hard to locate watch!

Etp095 likes this.
  19. Exiztence Mar 22, 2018

I understand that but I meant more like in general not when it comes to sale. I wouldnt dream of not disclosing it in sale, maybe I would be worried that whoever would buy it would try to pass it off as original down the line.

20. MaiLollo Mar 22, 2018

Why care about anything else than doing what pleases you the most ? If you're speaking about reluming an original or period correct dial I'd be more cautios, but if you're going for an obvious service dial, I can't see a possible issue in reluming it...

marco and mr_yossarian like this.