Forums Latest Members

New (to me) addition to the herd

1. Rockmastermike May 11, 2011

X-33 Gen 2 - Just a quick shot or two for now, but will post more later as we get used to each other.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Trev The Architect Staff Member May 11, 2011

Congrats. :thumbsup: Is that Titanium? I can't recall if they all were, and a quick Google search didn't really provide answers.

3. Trev The Architect Staff Member May 11, 2011

Was it named after the Nasa project?
    ED97-43938-3.jpeg

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 11, 2011

AFAIK it was, then the X33 was cancelled but they kept going with the watch. The X33s have been flown repeatedly on shuttle missions.

If you look around there are a few pics of astronauts rocking an X33 on one wrist and a Speedy Pro on the other. Best of both worlds.

5. Rockmastermike May 11, 2011

and yeah, it's Titanium - case and bracelet - very light and very comfortable.

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 11, 2011

I think it comes into the exception to the Quartz is uncool rule. The exception is for strictly professional environments where a high end timepiece would best serve its owner as a Quartz watch rather than mechanical. Like the Breitling Emergency, as it needs to have electronics for its radio transmitter. In this case, the functions, elapsed mission time, chronograph, alarms, full date, and so on are strictly necessary from a mission fulfillment perspective, and while Patek or JLC could probably put all that into a mechanical movement, they couldn't do it with the strength and robustness that this Omega does. As a tool that was designed for people that work in space, this thing is a work of technological art.

Trev and Rockmastermike like this.