Forums Latest Members

New to forum, Speedmaster question

1. Tim L Jun 29, 2012

Hi
    I am new to the forum and could use some guidance.

I am looking at the Speedmaster Pro moon watch at my local Omega dealer.

My questions are:

1) Am I nuts for choosing a leather band vs bracelet?

2) is there an advantage to purchasing from an actual Omega dealer vs an AD?
    I ask because the clerk at the Omega shop really did not seem to know anything about the watch.

3) New vs used: where can you shop for. A used one with trust?

Thanks in advance. My other watch is an Oris automatic and I thought it was the last watch I would need!

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 29, 2012

There's a Speedmaster dealer on the forum you can shoot a message to, his name is George and he buys and sells nothing but Speedmasters: http://omegaforums.net/members/george.643/

Personally I'd go for a bracelet and buy the strap later, there are better straps around, and deployant clasps are not that expensive. I'd very much consider used, they last and tend to be looked after.

3. ulackfocus Jun 29, 2012

Hi TIm.

1) No, you aren't nuts but we usually advise people to buy the watch on the bracelet. It's VERY expensive to buy it separately later and you can always take it off, store it away, and put a strap on it for regular use. Having the bracelet will increase resale too.

2) The AD will probably give a discount while the Omega boutique usually doesn't. Not very many salespeople know much about watches regardless of where they work.

3) You can shop on the watch forums. If you buy from an established forum member you'll usually do fine. They don't want to ruin their reputation at their main hangout. We run bad members out of town with pitchforks and torches. Just do a little research on the seller - look for feedback on them in the place where it's allowed (some websites have dedicated areas for this) and search their posts to see if they've had any problems with the watch.

Good luck! Now post a picture of your Oris in the WRUW thread soon.

Yeah, that's what we all said many moons & watches ago. :rolleyes: :p

4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 29, 2012

What are you up to now Dennis is it 4, or is it 5 now. :eek:

5. ulackfocus Jun 29, 2012

:p Yeah, per month.

6. speedycosmograph Speedmasterus Pontificatus Jul 8, 2012

I would always recommend buying vintage. You can get a great 70s or 80s Speedmaster Pro cal 861 for half the cost of a new model, and it already has some character, probably.

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 8, 2012

I see you have a Zenith Daytona there as well sir! Paint or porcelain? :)

8. speedycosmograph Speedmasterus Pontificatus Jul 9, 2012

Sadly, it's one of the 90s watches that isn't porcelain. This Zenith is about as rare as the one that sat in our living room under a pair of rabbit ears in the 70s. Did you hear they found new evidence that the "dingo ate my baby" lady was truly innocent? I guess many Aussies never really believed her story, despite the fact that the jury "O.J. Simpson'd" her.

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 9, 2012

Interesting story, my mother knew the investigating detectives very well, and the outcome now is based on a significant amount of evidence collection that was ruined and ruled inadmissible at the site, and considerably more evidence that was ruled out from her home. Without going into much detail, most mothers that have their baby taken and killed by a dingo don't own baby sized coffins prior to it happening...

10. speedycosmograph Speedmasterus Pontificatus Jul 9, 2012

Are there statistics for that particular crime/death? She owned a baby-sized casket before the death? I need to watch that movie with Meryl Streep again. I understand Australians better when an American is acting the part. Did she claim to just be a casket enthusiast? I think we're off track.

11. ulackfocus Jul 9, 2012

We often get way off track. It's part of our charm. ;)

Trev likes this.
  12. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 9, 2012

She might have done better to drive to Darwin and claim, a Salty took my baby

Trev likes this.
  13. jud Jul 13, 2012

I have purchased from George and highly recommend him. Honest and helpful.