Forums Latest Members
  1. topboxtim May 14, 2012

Hello Omega lovers.
    I recently inherited an Omega Seamaster memomatic which is in a very sorry state. The movement is rusty in places but has been drying out for the past 20 years so is stable. I've had a couple of watch repairers locally look at it and one gave me a price in excess of £1,200 and the other just said he didn't have time for such an endeavour. It's currently with a third but I'm very open to suggestions if you've had one of these refurbished anywhere in the UK.
    I have needless to say fallen in love with the idea of what it could hopefully be again, and I'm very much hoping it will be the family heirloom that it rightfully deserves to be.

This is what I have... (+ I have got hold of a 2nd working movement from Ebay)
    my memomatic.JPG

the working movement
    memomatic movement.jpg

And this is what I would dearly love to return it to...

memomatic mint.jpg

Many thanks.
    Tim

2. ulackfocus May 14, 2012

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 14, 2012

That dial really doesn't look all that bad under the crystal, definitely seen much worse.

4. topboxtim May 15, 2012

Thanks ulackfocus, thanks dsio.
    And many thanks for this contact. I wouldn't want to trouble him unless he's in the UK. Would he be a resident here?
    There's a guy in Italy who has been sent pictures to quote for dial restoration. It's pretty hard to see just how bad it is but there is definitely some brown staining from rusty water damage. And being a 3 part dial I'm expecting somewhere in the region of £200 fir the dial restoration alone.

I'm hoping to find a person in the UK who can do the dial and the other work on site if at all possible.

5. Steve May 15, 2012

He's in the US. But he's very good, well recommended.

6. topboxtim May 15, 2012

thanks, I'll drop him a line for an opinion on it. I've just had a 2nd UK repair shop say they are too busy to take it on. :(

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 16, 2012

In the UK, I've seen Desmond (Mondodec) recommend Chris Heal at http://www.chealwatch.com/ for more serious Omega restorations while maintaining originality, and he tends to be rather particular about who he lets touch his toys.

8. topboxtim May 16, 2012

Fantastic, many thanks for that, I have sent Chris Heal an email with all the details of what the job entails. fingers crossed A. he can do it and B. I can afford it.