Forums Latest Members

New to forum, and first question is a doozy vintage omega question

1. paperclerk Dec 25, 2014

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Hi all, Dave Clark from NJ.
    I'll make it all brief if possible.
    I buy and sell on eBay, for myself and others.
    I no longer collect, well until, recently.
    Love vintage watches (side note, love James Bond) and decoded if I'm gonna start collecting something it's gotta be something I can use and that I like and think is COOL...watches!
    We can get into that part later, when I get to know you all...

Now to my question...
    I buy and sell, mostly on eBay under same name as my username, paperclerk.
    I am currently selling for a friend of a friend. Pictured you will see what I would like to be my 1st watch for my collection. Had it for 4 days now, wound it some each day and has been keeping perfect time.
    My question is what is it, model, name etc...I'm assuming it's 1953ish based on date on back.
    Also asking either stainless or sterling or both.
    Secondly, and I know this is typically a Nono, but need an idea of fair mkt value, so instead of selling it, I can buy it and pay a fair $, both for her and myself.
    Any help appreciated.
    Based on what I've seen, it's worth between $100-$200 as it stands, broken band, engraved back and working.
    I'm assuming it's all original.
    Thanks, Dave

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 25, 2014

I'd just start $1 no reserve and let the market dictate

3. paperclerk Dec 25, 2014

I don't want to sell it, I want to buy it from her, haha unless you all say it's beyond my $ threshold.

4. ulackfocus Dec 25, 2014

It's a refinished dial and not in good shape overall. Personally, I'd pass on it - as would most here. Don't pay more than $150 tops if you must have it.

Nice avatar btw. We love dogs, squirrels, and all animals (yes, even...... God forbid.... cats here).

5. paperclerk Dec 25, 2014

It's not that...
    The owner is in her 80's and has little or really no use of her arms or legs,
    she had polio as a child and recovered but over last 10 or so years has slowly lost use.
    She has boxes of stuff she wants to sell. For someone like this, I typically place a value on items, take out my commission and pay them cash. Then I sell or keep everything I paid for.
    Yes I could list and normally would just list an auction but can't do that if I'm going to buy it.
    Thanks again, and sorry for typing so much, I'm long winded sometimes.

6. paperclerk Dec 25, 2014

Oh yeah those are my boys...Soccer (short for Socraties) is almost 5...Dutch the is a couple months, he is now 6 months. They are best buddies, and just came inside full of mud, wet christmas here in NJ.

7. paperclerk Dec 25, 2014

So I'm trying to learn also, refinished at first I would have thought no...but I think I see what looks like paint on the hour marks, I assume u see that too and that's why it is or has been refinished. Dave

8. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Dec 25, 2014

The dial has been refinished, some from a purist's point of view- the value is greatly diminished.
    However, if you like it then go for it, just keep that in mind. You can also factor in service.

9. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Dec 25, 2014

A distinguished member here once told me "any working Omega is worth a $100" and I believe that to be true.
    I feel you could offer the fine Lady $100 with a clear feeling of fairness, service it and wear it as a daily, or sell it for parts.
    In a just world you should neither profit greatly or lose significantly.
    On ebay, however, both are possible.

boat2dan and rhetoric like this.
  10. rhetoric Dec 25, 2014

"In a just world you should neither profit greatly or lose significantly.
    On ebay, however, both are possible."
    Where did you get that from? Just made it up? It's good! Simple but profound. I like it! :thumbsup:

UncleBuck likes this.
  11. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Dec 25, 2014

Gut observation, honest feelings, Belizean rum induced philosophical insight, ........I'm not sure which.

Stewart H, JimInOz and rhetoric like this.
  12. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Dec 25, 2014

I'm announcing my candidacy for Poet Laureate of Omega Forums, hope the rum holds out.

rhetoric and boat2dan like this.
  13. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Dec 25, 2014

Seems to be working OK

:D

UncleBuck likes this.
  14. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Dec 25, 2014

BTW Dave, don't be alarmed if you think things have become a little haywire, it's just a simple case of hijacking.

Tends to happen a lot here.

15. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Dec 25, 2014

I think we have done quite well, giving Dave a focused response between $100-$150.
    I felt we should, after all, the Dave Clark 5 was my favorite band in 1964!

Edited Dec 25, 2014
  16. paperclerk Dec 25, 2014

image.jpg OK so, I'm pretty good at keeping up. (Not necessarily in order)

1. I was figuring things correctly, value in range of $100-$200...ie $150.

2. I'm not much of a poet but I do tend to philozifize (spelled that way on purpose) when I have had a few, and am about to pour a couple fingers worth.

3. No worries, I like this forum, your my kind of people.

4. Five was my nickname for 11 years at the NY Daily News.
    Some people didn't even know my name was David, which is funny in a way.

5. Thanks for the help

Where best place to get leather replacement, and when measuring is it inside or out for MM.

FIVE

17. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Dec 25, 2014

Typically measured between the lug faces for this shape, my example shows 19mm.

19mm.JPG

Nice leather straps are plentiful in the US, I'm sure one our US based folks can point you in the right direction (if they are still awake).

Cheers

Jim

18. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Dec 25, 2014

19. jud Dec 26, 2014