Forums Latest Members

New to both universal and vintage - any info on my new purchase?

1. arnobuyens Mar 14, 2017

hi all,

I recently bought my very first universal watch which is incidentally also my very first vintage piece. I don't have much info about this piece as I bought it without box and papers but I would love to hear your opinion about it. In the little research I've done I've learned that it's not easy determining which hands or dial are authentic to which model or reference. So here's what I know about this piece:

A rose gold Universal Geneve compax Ref. No. 12494
    35mm case
    Serial number 1 397 398 places production year around 1949
    Caliber 825 inside
    The mint condition suggests it's been restored (most likely a replacement plexi)
    Crown is unsigned so probably a replacement
    The minute chrono hand is a different shape to the other subdial hands and also shinier so probably also a replacement.

IMG_8557.JPG IMG_8568.JPG IMG_8553.JPG IMG_8570.JPG IMG_8571.JPG

Any info you guys might have would be very much appreciated!

2. ELV web Mar 14, 2017

Dial is restored, the easiest tell tale is the pointy "A".

Subdial minute hand is incorrect, other hands look fine.

Crown is indeed a replacement. Reference number is correct for gold case chrono (starting with 12xxx)

Wear it in good health

gop76 likes this.
  3. gop76 Mar 14, 2017

Yes, dial was restored and i only disagree with @ELV web when he say that "the easiest tell tale is the pointy "A"". In my view the easiest tell tale are the numbers on the hour subdial, the numbers should be radial

jsflog and Larry S like this.
  4. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 14, 2017

Also sloppy overstamp of the 15 from the minute track onto the subdial, uneven lettering and wrong font for the minute track, lume hands without lume on the dial.

Rough welcome to the forum, Arno, I'm afraid. We take the whole authenticity thing pretty seriously as it affects value. As long as you didn't pay too much, still a looker on the wrist.

rolokr, Xeer, Dre and 3 others like this.
  5. slique12 Mar 14, 2017

Looks like a lovely watch and seems redialed to my eyes as well. A nice looking watch though and something you should continue to enjoy:)

6. chows99 Mar 16, 2017

Nice macro shots! I am hoping to train my eyes like the experts here to tell what is a redial!

7. woodwkr2 Mar 17, 2017

ELV and LouS have summed this up. Welcome though arnobuyens

8. aap Mar 27, 2017

Whoa! Is that you, B? Welcome back!