Forums Latest Members

New Strontium atomic clock

1. destroid Nov 3, 2014

2. bill5959 Nov 3, 2014

I wonder if time is really a human construct? I think it is entirely possible that a part of our brain is wired to tell"time" hence we can't avoid being a slave to time. As for coordinating time, that's why we must have at least one watch with a hacking mechanism. :thumbsup: Regards, Bill

speedbird likes this.
  3. ulackfocus Nov 3, 2014

What you're calling "time" is just the way humans break down one Earth day into convenient intervals - so in that sense it is a human construct, and would be more accurately called "day fractions". Time is an abstract concept beyond normal thinking of the average human brain.

EDIT - I see the article agrees with me! ;)

4. bill5959 Nov 4, 2014

in the sense that you say we humans have chosen a certain construct to utilize our ability ( over other animals) to "tell" time, I couldn't agree with you more. Arabic numerals over Roman, one language over another. These are all constructs as well. The scientific concepts of time are above average abilities, but do not affect day to day coordination of time among humans. I think the real story is at the end where the scientific implications of the clock are discussed. But i am betting on Wolfram instead of Strontium. ;) Regards, bill

5. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Nov 4, 2014