Forums Latest Members

New straps and old Speedmasters

1. jimmyd13 Jan 7, 2017

I think we need a stickie for "dumb question of the day" because this probably belongs in there. TL;DR at the bottom.

I've just called in at the local AD because they had a discounted DSOM in the window. It didn't do it for me and neither did the PO Chrono ... or the GSOM. :( I really wanted to like them all and, with three Omegas missing from my box for servicing, I have a hole to fill .... seriously, I will have no good looking tool watches for more than a month.

Anyway, what I did like was the strap on the DSOM and with the deployant from the GSOM it'd be a great colour match for my older speedy. Simples. Right? Wrong.

The A-D has no problem ordering both for me. I have to pay up front, not a problem again. I cannot return them (why would I want to?) Because, the girl in the store said she wasn't sure if the strap would fit between the case and the spring bar holes on the lugs .... and ... they wouldn't be able to find out ... nor would they take the strap off the one they had and check against my Speedmaster.

So, has anyone put a new DSOM strap onto an older Speedmaster? Does it fit?

TL;DR - do the straps for the DSOM/GSOM fit an older Speedmaster case (20mm lugs, not 19)?

2. Andreas Jan 7, 2017

it wont fit. the lug width of the DSOM and GSOM is 22mm.

3. abrod520 Jan 7, 2017

Andreas is right, the DS / GS straps are 22mm so in fact, the girl in the store was right. However, you could custom-order a strap from Omega's OEM, Jean Rousseau. You could specify the buckle end to be large enough for a GS deployant

4. jimmyd13 Jan 7, 2017

Well, that's a disappointment but thanks for a quick answer ... back to Plan A. (Why on earth wouldn't the A-D know that the strap was a different width?).

5. yinzerniner Jan 8, 2017

Actually SOTM series straps are 21mm, not 22mm, however it's true that they won't fit speedmasters because the ends have hard plastic inserts that cannot be compressed.
    You can order a 20mm strap in black/white or black/grey, but not a black on black like what's on the dsotm. Jean Rousseau can make one just like the DSOTM but to fit a speedy pro.

Also retail shops often have such high sales personnel turnover that it's rare to find someone who is truly knowledgable.

6. darty Jan 9, 2017

How about a NASA Velcro strap?

7. jimmyd13 Jan 9, 2017

Thank you all for the replies. I'll certainly look up the name you've suggested later but in the meantime I've already ordered something totally different - a green emu racing - and found a vintage Omega buckle. The watches went off to STS today which means I'll have a few weeks to sort out any straps ... I just wanted to protect the 1039 that I'm using at the moment.