Forums Latest Members

New strap for fixed-lug watch

1. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Aug 24, 2016

I have a Ferrero "trench watch", the white radium dial, radium skeleton hands, sterling case with wire lugs...

and I wanted a decent strap on it.

The other day I was thinking, hm. I have some NOS (when I bought them) JB Champion 5/8" shell cordovan straps. What's interesting about these straps, the ends are cut to a point, folded, and sewn. You basically see a V-shaped row of stitching, and the small pocket made by this process is where you put your spring bar.

Assuming you have one, of course.

I knew I had a strap in that Horween #8 color, the brownish burgundy. This strap has a deep, rich color you might not realize is really dark not-black. but it really brings the right watch to life.

The tools:
    Small, sharp knife blade
    Smallest sewing needle I had
    Black thread
    5X loupe
    Needle-nose pliers

The procedure:
    - Cut the existing stitching
    - Resew using the black thread and existing holes

After a lot of swearing and some hand cramping, I finally got it done. Note to anyone wanting to do this: wax the holes with a soft wax. I used musical instrument "grease" for slides and corks.

Please enjoy the photograh below. I like how it came out and these NOS JB Champion straps are Really Nice!

Tom

ferrero.jpg
    ahartfie likes this.
  2. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Aug 24, 2016

Also note sterling buckle came with the watch and I reuse it any time I change straps.

Tom