Forums Latest Members
  1. Omegamatt Oct 20, 2015

I have just received my stowa antea 36mm watch fitted with peseux 7001 self winding movement. The watch runs well but it seems loud and I notice it ticking on my wrist. I have a bunch of watches including omega, tags, oris, raymond weil etc and this watch seems to be louder than them all. Is this normal or can this indicate a problem?? would really like feedback please.

image.jpeg
  2. Canuck Oct 20, 2015

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&&2uswk&Peseux_7001

Your Stowa is a MANUAL winder, not a SELF winder (as in you have to wind it yourself). You are comparing this watch to several others. Are any of the watches you are comparing it with, quartz? Compare only mechanicals to mechanicals, not to quartz. I suspect if any of the other watches are 21,600 or 28,800 beats per hour, you are comparing them with a watch that (likely) only beats 18,000 bph, and right there, there will be a difference in sound level. This link is to Roland Ranfft's watch movement archive.

citizenrich likes this.
  3. Omegamatt Oct 21, 2015

My watches I have compared it to are all mechanical and 28,800 bph. So the lower the bph the louder the watch? I know other factors may play a role as well such as the case thickness etc but it just seems loud.

4. Canuck Oct 21, 2015

I suspect the decibel level might be a bit higher with the Stowa, but I think the lower bph frequency is a larger factor in the fact that your hearing picks up the sound better. That, plus proportionally, every component in the escapement of the Stowa is larger than the equivalent component in the ones you are comparing it to.

5. Omegamatt Oct 21, 2015

Very good point. Thanks for help. I'm trying to decide if it's going to bother me to the point of having to return watch. I would hate to as the watch really is a beauty.

6. Omegamatt Oct 21, 2015

I am planning on putting a leather nato strap which will cover the back. Is it possible that might help muffle sound a bit or is it wishful thinking

7. Canuck Oct 21, 2015

I would never experience the concern you express with the sound of your watch. Try collecting pocket watches as I do, and you will no longer concern yourself with the sound of the Stowa! My hearing isn't what it used to be. But as long as I can still hear "dinner is ready", I'll cope! Moreover, if you were to compare the decibel level of your 28,800 bph watch sound level with a typical quartz watch, you might consider divesting yourself of ALL your mechanical watches! Don't sweat the small stuff!

8. Omegamatt Oct 21, 2015

Very true! I have a fun swatch Quartz and that thing is one loud ticker lol. I

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 21, 2015

The volume of the ticking is a combination of factors, including the size of the movement, to a small degree beat rate, and most importantly case materials and construction.

It's unlikely to indicate a problem.

Cheers, Al

10. Omegamatt Oct 21, 2015

Kind of embarrassing question but did I put this nato strap on right??

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
  11. Canuck Oct 21, 2015

I can't help you there. I know nothing about nato Straps!

12. ulackfocus Oct 21, 2015

Leather NATO straps on a watch like that looks like monster truck tires on a Mazda RX-7.

wagudc, abrod520 and STANDY like this.
  13. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 21, 2015

My rule is if its hasn't got a bezel it hasn't got a chance of a NATO

14. abrod520 Oct 21, 2015

I'd say either an external bezel or (internal) tachy track on the dial are my requirements for a NATO

15. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Oct 21, 2015

I've usually seen the long end tucked back under the strap rather than folded back over the metal keeper as you have it.