Forums Latest Members
  1. subregister May 29, 2019

I've just released v1 of stolen watch registry on Alpha Hands, which I am building from a variety of different sources online. It's free to search, free to submit (just shoot me a PM).

Hopefully you'll never need it, but in case you do:
    http://alphahands.com/faq/stolen-watch-registry-database/

As always...feedback welcome! And yes, I still have a long, long, long way to go. :thumbsup:

2. SG90 May 29, 2019

So if I find a watch on EBay, which shows the serial number, I report it to you as stolen, people won’t bid on it because they think it is stolen, and I win the auction for a bargain price? Sounds perfect!:whistling:

CaptainWinsor and Foo2rama like this.
  3. subregister Jul 11, 2019

That's what I get for trying to help... *sigh*

4. jsducote Jul 12, 2019

No good deed goes unpunished.

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 12, 2019

I’m pleased that you have a requirement for a police report submission, which would hopefully curtail the sort of abuse that SG90 is referring to.

6. JohnSteed Jul 12, 2019

7. SG90 Jul 12, 2019

I did not realise that @subregister’s submission had a requirement of a police report, I thought it was optional.
    In that case the registry would be a bit less open to abuse.

Why a watch would be reported on this register as stolen but not have a police report is beyond me anyway...

8. subregister Jul 12, 2019

I should clarify...while I would love for it to be *required*, I only note if it has been provided/seen by me, to at least verify that a police report has been made. This should help a little bit, but it seems most pieces don't even have a police report filed, which is a bummer. I still want to provide a listing of stolen watches, however, as I believe it has value to community.

@SG90 it sounds like this register isn't of use to you, so I would say just ignore it (or just keep criticizing, if you prefer...)

Millenary Watches likes this.
  9. SG90 Jul 13, 2019

Except criticism?
    If no one pointed out flaws or potential abuses of an idea then nothing would ever run the way it should.

I happen to think a stolen watch register that anyone can access is an excellent idea.
    I’m just surprised that anyone would supposedly get a personal possession stolen and then not file a police report.
    If everyone did file a report, and you saw got to see them, minus sensitive information of course, then it would eliminate the only potential problem, (aside from fraud/forgery) that I picked up on, on your site.

WatchCor likes this.
  10. subregister Jul 13, 2019

Ahh, I see where I went wrong, a lack of clarity. My bad!

Instead of "feedback welcome," I should have said, "suggestions on how to improve this registry, that combines information from a wide number of sources, given that I would like to help people recover their watches and am willing to put in my own time, with the knowledge that 99% of the time people do not have police reports or may be unwilling to provide them, for whatever reason, welcome."

I personally recommended that collectors note their serial/case/movement numbers, have a recent picture, insure their pieces, and submit police reports if they go missing.

Thanks all-

Millenary Watches likes this.
  11. gostang9 Jul 13, 2019

Might have something to do with how an item is insured?

My insurance agent told me something to the effect “your watch is fully covered. However, if you tell us it was stolen we need s police report. If you tell us you simply lost it we pay out the value without further proof needed.”

When my car was broken into across the street many years ago, they stole >$4k value in stereo equipment. I called the police, they didn’t come out and simply gave me a report # over the phone. With that experience typical of many property theft reports and then greater difficulty getting insurance reimbursement, I can see why some would opt out of making a useless police report.

12. SG90 Jul 13, 2019

@gostang9 I also suppose on how sentimental you are about the item that was stolen.

A watch I value as personal and something that I care more about than my car sound system.
    If there is a 1/1000000 chance that I would one day get the watch back, then a police report is worth it.

You still get the insurance payout, it just might take 1 month rather than 2 weeks.

13. subregister May 1, 2020

Just an FYI to anyone interested that I've added some enhancements to the registry, along with (unfortunately) a large number of pieces.
    I believe the Alpha Hands stolen watch registry is now the largest free one available.

Stay safe everyone -