Forums Latest Members

New Speedy Ultraman - changing straps "issue"

1. abrahamovic Oct 23, 2018

Hello,
    would like to know your opinion on a thought that bites me.
    I have seen new Ultraman with so many different straps on it. In my honest opinion it looks best on original black leather strap with red stitches. (or nato as choice nr2).

I do get point to fit vintage watches with new straps, but why would I change the strap on a new original watch? It belongs to it. It was designed to be worn on it. So why to change it? Especially if we know that collectors pay crazy premium to get/fit their vintage watches with original bracelets / straps.

Vintage watch is not a modern watch. But i think it is the same. New watch deserves to be displayed as it was designed to. Now there is so many collectors changing it for new ones, why? Or is it just to keep new strap untouched for future?
    IMG_7918.JPG

superfly likes this.
  2. Ree Oct 23, 2018

Because I could easily find other straps that better suit my preference. I guess it's like buying a new laptop and replacing the standard wallpaper.;)
    Some straps though like Silver Snoopy I think is perfect and won't change a thing. Others, I see the watches as 'canvas' that could use plenty of strap options for different looks and outfits. Ultraman I feel is one of those that look great on many different straps.
    But am wearing mine on 1039. I like the looks.
    fredyspeedy-1540304411806.jpg

Jimbo555, bloomy, Atalien2005 and 9 others like this.
  3. jimmyd13 Oct 23, 2018

Perhaps because the original strap is also a limited edition? I don't know about the availability of the ST2 red stripe/stitched one but perhaps some people prefer to save that "for best" or keep it as new with an eye to selling in future?

gostang9 and eugeneandresson like this.
  4. abrahamovic Oct 23, 2018

Straps are not limited. Leather one can be ordered for around 300-400 euros. They offer even the smaller size - omega offers it for customers. I checked with Omega Boutique in Budapest / Hungary.

5. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 23, 2018

Because everyone has different tastes. Watches are designed to flexibly reflect the preferences of the owner. Many people, if not most, like to personalize there watches. There is no one standard that is correct. Your "honest opinion" is not mine or Bob's or Erics or Wolfgang's. The watch deserves only what its owner dictates. There is nothing to get here. This is not rocket sci.............er, OK maybe it is as these are after all, Speedmasters. Omega supplies certain materials with their watches based on market research and sales expectations.

Here is my non-original strap, quite satisfied with it.
    IMG_3284.jpg

6. abrahamovic Oct 23, 2018

Sure, your opinion is as honest as mine. I was just asking myself: Would the same collector in 50 years from now have much better feeling if he got and WORE his 50 years old speedy ultraman on an original strap? I think yes. My point being - value of original strap/bracelet is (obviously) undervalued until watch gets old (enough).

superfly likes this.
  7. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 23, 2018

I'll let you know then. :rolleyes:

Paedipod, STANDY and abrahamovic like this.
  8. dwboston Oct 23, 2018

Because people like what they like, and their property is theirs to do with as they please? :) Not an ST2, but I just changed the strap on my AT that I purchased earlier this year. I think the blue rubber strap from the new AT's goes much better with the blue hands of my watch than does the stainless bracelet with PCL's. I don't really care how Omega designed the watch - I want it to look how I prefer.

I think this:
    AT1.jpg

Looks better than this:
    AT2.jpg

blubarb, Pun and pianomankd like this.
  9. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Oct 23, 2018

Yes, but if everyone wore the original strap daily, the straps would all be worn out and gross long before the watch reaches 50 years old. So would the collector want to wear that old nasty strap? By wearing the ST2 on a bracelet or other aftermarket strap, they are doing a favor to the collector 50 years from now who comes into possession of the watch....they'll have a full set watch with two unused straps...

gostang9 likes this.
  10. Blaise Oct 23, 2018

To start with not one but 2 straps were designed to go with the watch (just like the first ST we did) which kinda contradicts that "it belongs to it. It was designed to be worn on it." actually they were designed for it :)

Fathom in the weather, how leather is probably not the best choice for hot summers, humid weather etc.

Not to mention that you are not a watch guy if you don't feel the need to eventually change a strap/bracelet on your watch...unless it's an AP RO ;)

11. abrahamovic Oct 23, 2018

nice point, but still...

I change straps for my vintage watches. Ultraman is my only second modern watch I have. This first one was Speedmaster 60th LE and I felt the same way - still wearing it on a original strap. (Got nice patina over the year btw).

Maybe it is just my feeling, but I think less people changed straps on 60th LE - no data for it, just feeling from scrolling forums and instagrams.
    Regarding Ultraman / strap - I just shared my feeling that default black strap is perfect fit for this Ultraman watch. I get the taste game. And through the process I came to realisation, that for me a strap is essential and original part to the watch as the dial and hands are.

Blaise likes this.
  12. JamieG Oct 23, 2018

Well that’s ten minutes of my life I won’t get back.

Off to throw my Strap changing tools in the bin now, clearly I’ve been doing the wrong thing messing with OEM specification all those years

13. Om3ga321 Oct 23, 2018

The way I see it you get a different watch for a different occasion every time you change to a different strap or bracelet.
    The original strap/bracelet is how the manufacture envisaged the look which sometimes is not to my personal taste.
    I call it modifications.

Blaise likes this.
  14. gostang9 Oct 23, 2018

You answered your own question in the same paragraph... :)

15. Blaise Oct 23, 2018

Well, I also have no data but a lot of guys I know wear their 60th LE on vintage leather straps for a more classic/vintage look.

But to be fair there is no law that bans you from changing the strap. Or keeping the original on the watch. Wear what you like and how you like it. Simple as that.

Besides nobody who changes the oem to an aftermarket will throw the oem away so that’s a look you can go back to. Not so much with vintage watches these days, especially if you bought them head only.

16. MRC Oct 23, 2018

I wish I could find the original strap for the Heuer Carrera I got close to 50 years ago -- I know I would not have thrown it away. That proper buckle would enhance another old Carrera that is currently carrying a repro. Refit it on the first? No, the first Carrera has sat on what was a second-hand Oyster bracelet (end-pieces filed down ;)) for more than 40 years and I'm used to it way.

I buy new straps and old bracelets and swap around all the time. Looks like a fresh watch every time and the cost is just a couple more scratches on the lugs :D

STANDY likes this.
  17. Guiguit Oct 24, 2018

Because the strap has been specifically designed for it, like this one from lugs.shop

DSCF2840.jpg
    JG808 likes this.
  18. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 24, 2018

i get about one season out of a leather strap in tropical Northern Australia due to humidity.
    ( Man I have thrown some straps out over the years but still love a leather strap over a bracelet )

And

Bingo

19. JG808 Oct 24, 2018

It's fun and easy to change straps. No harm in playing around with different looks.

20. jw0n Oct 24, 2018

Sorry, but what's the issue again?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Skyblue44, kov, ck77 and 3 others like this.