Forums Latest Members

New speedy or previous generation.

1. havanaomega Jun 13, 2021

Hi all!

I’ve been watching so many videos about the speedmaster professional. I own a seamaster profesional chronograph which I absolutely love; however, I feel like getting one manual wind moon watch. I know this is silly but I feel like the manual wind will add more to the interaction than just wearing an automatic watch that you don’t really have to do anything to it. Lastly, I’m really undecided between choosing the 1863 or the 3863.

The previous generation comes with some cool gadgets like the magnifying tool that I can see myself using to admire the movement but, at the same time it looks like this 3861 is the first metas certified movement they put in the moon watch which is kind of a big deal.

Is the previous generation accurate and precise?

2. Evitzee Jun 13, 2021

Many threads here over the pros and cons of each model. The upgraded movement does have better accuracy and longer run time, but the venerable 1861 based movement is certainly acceptable as far as real world accuracy is concerned.

Kim, DoctorEvil, Pun and 1 other person like this.
  3. marcn Enough space to say witty Jun 13, 2021

Just one dude's biased opinion, but having had both 3861 and 1861, my 3861 (hesalite) was a total dream speedy. (Notice the past tense... I traded it. Am now seriously confronting strong impulses to get another. And if so, it would be the first time I've ever had seller's remorse so bad that I'll probably buy another. A total womp-womp, for sure...)

3861 is that good, IMO.

havanaomega likes this.
  4. havanaomega Jun 13, 2021

Thank you dude.

I plan to go to the AD this Wednesday and try it on! I may just walk out with it on my wrist. I have been researching and it looks great on paper. Did you have the bracelet or the strap? I’ve seen a couple of complaints about the sharpness of the bracelet and even the case of this new generation. I was just going to buy a Tissot a few months ago I didn’t see myself spending this much on a watch but, my dad destroyed me by just buying it for me. Now I’m a collector I guess. I want a speedy to be able to do more and make it part of my routine. I’m dreaming of winding it every other day.

marcn likes this.
  5. marcn Enough space to say witty Jun 13, 2021

I bought the bracelet version but only ever wore it on a nato. Not a huge fan of the bracelet’s taper, but I’m in the minority on that.

Has zero sharpness issues with mine. Accuracy of mine was wonderful; stabilized at about +1s/d. My 1861 was always quite lackluster with regards to accuracy, but it could likely have been improved with an adjustment.

If you have the resources to get one and the design speaks to you, it’s honestly a delight. I’m 52 and have really terrible eyesight, and while the dial looks complicated, it reads easily at a glance and at wide angles. So easy to discreetly check the time.

Wind it daily, ideally at the same time each day.

Keep us posted!

Alfista88 and havanaomega like this.
  6. havanaomega Jun 13, 2021

Daily ritual it will be then.

I’m so excited about it. I am 38 and my eyesight is nit great either.

I appreciate your feed back. I’m thinking to go with the leather sapphire sandwich.

I’ll post some pictures of my visitor the AD.

paulie8777 and marcn like this.
  7. Alfista88 Jun 13, 2021

Definitely the 3861! I upgraded a couple weekends ago, and haven't looked back.

Major Pros for me:
    1) Comfortable caseback, if you're going with Hesalite. The hippocampus is now recessed into the caseback, and no longer protrudes higher than the flat plain of the caseback surface. The sharp Seahorse on my 1861 was so uncomfortable and left deep red marks on my wrist even after just an hour of wear... that I had to swap it out for a Thomas Priek display back for the watch to even be tolerable for wear.

2) Accuracy. My 3861 has gained a total of 24 seconds over 15 days. +1.7 seconds per day! In comparison, 2 different 1861-powered I had (last generation Pro, FOIS) each gained 10+ seconds every day. I personally found it annoying have to rewind the minute hand back every 4-5 days on my 1861 Speedmasters, just for them to display the correct minute

3) Hacking seconds
    4) Crown is easier to wind <-- this quality of improvement adds up, given you'll be winding it everyday.
    5) Bracelet comfort.
    6) Smaller box. I never cared for the loupe, paper weight, etc... and the NATO + astronaut straps never left their wrappers in my 4 years of ownership. Plus the 3861 Speedy comes with a built-in travel box.
    7) Stepped dial. Looks very sharp in direct sunlight!
    8) The white markers in between seconds match the beat rate of the movement.

Things I miss about the 1861 Speedy Pro:
    1) Dial text pyramid. Together with a smaller & lower teardrop on the chrono hand, the symmetry and linear slope of 1861 dial's text is very beautiful to behold.

2) Clasp. I find the new generation's clasp much too fussy, with the sculpted logo and ribbing. Plus the 3861 bracelet's final link looks terrible if you're not using the interior micro adjustment slot in the new clasp.

3) Beefier chrono pushers. Haha, purely a personal aesthetic preference.
    4) Price ;)

Have you seen the Hesalite in person? The warm distortion of the plastic crystal is what makes the moonwatch, in my eyes. There are many collectors who are passionate Hesalite versus sapphire. For some, it's important that Hesalite is the very technology used in the original moonwatch. For me, I like how it has a connection with other vintage watches (like the fan-favorite pie-pan Connie) before sapphire became the norm on luxury watches. What I enjoy most about the hesalite, is all about how cool the distortion effect looks!

Not a popular opinion on this forum, but I've never thought Omega's movements are all that pretty. I'd gladly replace the the sapphire display backs on my Planet Ocean and Globemaster for a plain solid caseback to reduce the watch weight & case height. I can gawk at a 321 all day on videos, but personally find the 1861 and 3861 a little boring. On a manual-wind Breguet, Vacheron Constantin, or Lange? Sign me up for a display caseback. But on bread & butter workhorse movements used across the model ranges in brands like Omega, Rolex, Breitling, IWC, my personal preference is to get a plain solid caseback. Will also add that it's only a matter of time before after-market display casebacks are available for the 3861 Hesalite Speedmasters.

Have fun picking out your Speedmaster at the AD! Also recommend getting it on bracelet, as it's much cheaper to get strap + buckles a la carte than it is to order a bracelet later on. The new leather strap on the 3861 Sapphire Sandwich is very boring compared to the alligator strap on the previous-gen 1861 Sapphire. Plus, you'll find many threads on here exhibiting really nice non-OEM straps, and you can build a solid collection of very high quality after-market straps for the price of a single Omega-branded one.

Edited Jun 14, 2021
    MohTheory, RPC, chnzwh and 8 others like this.
  8. havanaomega Jun 14, 2021

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I feel ready to walk in there and make a decision. I know the hesalite scratches and you can even remove it. I’m sure this won’t keep me from getting it if I like you fall in love with the light distortion.

I am happy to have found a place to discuss this love we have for Omega’s

My dad got me into it. I always thought of Rolex but, I don’t care for the way they do business. Omega has the upper hand when it comes to providing merchandise and service. I know they have their limited editions but, it’s not as bad.

9. amfalconer Jun 14, 2021

As mentioned, you can't go wrong either way, it depends on whether you think the upgrades to new model justify the increased cost.

I really like the look of the new bracelet, but find the taper a bit too extreme, I like the step dial, and the visible concentric sub-dial rings, but prefer the lighter colour and less fussy dial printing on the 1861.

I'd have another hesalite one, so lack of an applied logo isn't a factor for me.

The 1861 is a well-proven workhorse, easily serviceable by others and likely with great parts availability well into into its later years, metas certification would be nice, but my 1861 runs approx +4spd at the moment, which is not too bad, it could probably be made better, but I'm not opening it up for now.

The 3861 has already thrown a few issues, not that it's the end of the world, Omega seem to be taking care of these, it just takes the shine off your nice new purchase.

Either way, as I said, you won't go wrong with either.

DoctorEvil, havanaomega and Alfista88 like this.
  10. jets Jun 14, 2021

I chose the previous 861. Buy an uncle seiko president and pair that with a 1162/173 clasp. Save a lot of money and having them side by side at the AD the outer second track looks bolder on the new dial. A tad busier for my liking. The 861 looks cleaner aside from the lack of the recessed subdials but seriously, not enough to make me cough up the extra money. Unless they're side by side the difference is not that much. I took the last 861 he had.

11. havanaomega Jun 14, 2021

I think it will come down to how they feel on my wrist. I really appreciate your take on this.

12. G4_Chrono Jun 15, 2021

I bought the 1861 Hesalite in February with a small discount from my local AD, but online due to covid restrictions. I knew I wanted that model, I had always wanted it and took my opportunity! I didn't really consider the 2021 release, the new movement didn't mean anything to me and I was put off at the new price!

I looked at the 2021 3861 Speedmaster last week. I like it.
    The small changes to the case means it sits well on my 6.5 inch wrist. But the difference with the 1861 is very small.
    The bezel seems to be slightly wider on the 3861 which works too.
    The movement felt smooth to wind and the crown may be a little deeper and easier to use?
    The dial, at certain angles, really pops. The colour, texture and stepped sub dials really work. But as you can see in the photos below, the difference is only small.
    I thought I would like the Sapphire version, but I didn't, the Hesalite is the one for me.
    The new bracelet is better than the 1861, but the clasp isn't that great. I still think that the aftermarket Uncle Seiko and Forstner offerings are getting it right for vintage style. I do wish there was a 'modern' clasp that worked with these vintage bracelets.
    I like the new box offering; smaller and more practical, along with the travel box too. Thats cool. The 1861 big box is just too much and a waste for me.

On the 3861, I would choose the Hesalite on Nylon deployant. It really works. The AD was offering a similar small discount on the Hesalite with bracelet plus a free strap with clasp as below. But I will stick with my 1861. And I am having a custom Cordura strap made to work with the omega clasp.

Pictures below, 3861 Hesalite on Nylon, my 1861 on US1171 and Omega 1162/173 clasp:

IMG_7724.jpg IMG_7725.jpg IMG_7726.jpg IMG_7723.jpg

13. Gerry73 Jun 15, 2021

Hesalite on nylon for me too. The bracelet tapered too much for my liking and the solid caseback was my preferred option. Strap is very comfortable and easily adjusted for the better weather.

PXL_20210504_145128355~2.jpg
    G4_Chrono and Pun like this.
  14. havanaomega Jun 15, 2021

Wow they look so pretty. I am thinking about the leather strap. I am trying to decided if the accuracy is a big deal for me. I am leaning towards yes in that point. I have never tried one on my wrist. Last time the 42 was too small for my taste in the seamaster collection and ended up with the 44 chronograph complication. I seat and wonder about the size. I hope to go tomorrow. Ended up having to go into the dealer since I have a new employee beginning. Thank you all for the feed back. This is awesome!

15. stratguy Jun 17, 2021

I was in your position a few weeks ago. I spend a couple of hours at my local boutique comparing the two, or should I say obsessing over the two. In the end, I bought the 1861 Hesalite. For me, I prefer the case shape and dial of the 1861. The stepping of the dial on the 3861 around the edge bothered me. Overall, I think the 1861 looks better. I'm not a bracelet fan, and while the bracelet in the new one is very comfortable, I think the taper is too much and I don't really like the clasp. Here is a pic of mine.

[​IMG]

DoctorEvil, marcn, Pun and 1 other person like this.
  16. G4_Chrono Jun 17, 2021

Nice 1861 on leather stratguy!

When I was looking at the 3861 recently, I thought the new leather strap looks nice, but the quality doesn't appear to be as good as the 1861 version like you have. Time will tell I suppose.

17. G4_Chrono Jun 17, 2021

There is one 1861 lurking in there . . and one sapphire model . . IMG_7730.jpg

18. stratguy Jun 17, 2021

Thanks G4_Chrono. I agree regarding the straps. I sold my last 1861 Hesalite to a friend a couple of years ago - I will never part with this one. If I had only one watch, it would be this one. The last piece on my radar is an FOIS and I will get one soon.

w@tcher and G4_Chrono like this.
  19. amfalconer Jun 17, 2021

Bottom left is the 1861? Interested to know what the bracelet is

20. G4_Chrono Jun 17, 2021

Correct! Uncle Seiko 1171 with Omega 1162/173 clasp.

amfalconer likes this.