Forums Latest Members

New Speedy and question about tools & straps

1. twich007 May 11, 2015

Hi all,

Long time reader, first time poster. Finally bit the bullet and got a used speedy pro 3570.50 from good ol' @Kringkily which is on its way now :) I"ll post a photo (to the inception photo thread :)) this weekend when I have a chance.

Question on straps/bands/bracelets - I have seen a lot of good info on here about where to source brands, but not sure where to go to learn how to switch them out, and what tools I need (really wanted a legendary box but wasn't in the pre-wedding budget), and where to get said tools.

Forgive me if this is already posted somewhere but appreciate any sources/links/suggestions.

Thanks!

2. bb58 May 11, 2015

The only tool you'll need is a Bergeon 6767f spring bar tool. Both ends are removable, but one will come with a small forked end that you'll use to depress the spring bar and pull out the end link.

This is the one I use http://www.amazon.com/Bergeon-6767-F-Watch-Spring-Tool/dp/B001IZT8R2

I've switched the bracelet out on my Speedmaster 3573.50 many times (also purchased from @Kringkily :thumbsup:) and that's all I needed. As far as how to do it, this should help
    . I would recommend getting some blue painter's tape and taping up your lugs so when you take the spring bar out, it won't scratch up your lugs. Since you're just getting it, I'm going to assume you're gonna baby it like I did and I wish I had known to do that when I first got it.

congrats on your new Speedy and welcome to the club!

Senorx likes this.
  3. rwilner May 12, 2015

Switching straps will save you money. A few hundred dollars in straps can really change the look and feel of your speedy, which may save you thousands in more watches.

That's the theory anyway :)

blunosr and Mad Dog like this.
  4. Jstead May 15, 2015

How about a quality screwdriver set for removing links (PO8500) ?

5. bb58 May 15, 2015

6. Senorx May 16, 2015

Appreciate all the info. I'm currently looking to buy my first 3570.50 and this thread answered many of my questions.

7. Mothra May 16, 2015

I'd also recommend buying a really cheap second watch off ebay to practice on if you've not used a strap changing tool before.

Mad Dog likes this.
  8. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter May 16, 2015

And then you need a third and fourth watch to try all the different straps on!

Mad Dog likes this.
  9. rwilner May 16, 2015

Look on amazon for a set of screwdrivers...you can find some modestly priced ones that will do the job. I used mine yesterday to size my dads breitling B50.

Mad Dog likes this.
  10. twich007 May 16, 2015

Awesome, thanks so much @bb58 ! Great tips. Now to decide on additional straps/bands...

bb58 likes this.
  11. rwilner May 17, 2015

A classic look for the speedy is a "rally" style strap. Some nice ones are for sale in the straps and braceletd sales corner at watchuseek.

Mad Dog likes this.
  12. bb58 May 17, 2015

no problem @twich007

Since the summer is coming up I'd recommend looking into NATOs for your Speedmaster. I have some nice leather straps from Hirsch and Bas&Lokes, but they're not as comfortable in the heat as NATOs or the original SS bracelet are.

Mad Dog likes this.
  13. Maximus84 May 17, 2015

That's why I've just switched the bracelet for the NATO on my Speedy - it'll be more comfortable when I travel overseas this summer (in 45C heat!).

14. usernamehere May 17, 2015

@twich007 - just received my Bergeon and it makes a world of difference to switch straps. Anyone with more than one watch and/ or straps/ bracelets should have one.

Mad Dog likes this.
  15. twich007 May 26, 2015

Thanks all for the help and suggestions! I purchased 2 NATO straps (1 Bond, 1 "Dutch" orange). Bergeon tool is in the mail. Also found a few rally straps I like but will wait until the fall to get (after I tire of the NATO look for the summer).

Will post pics once I start wearing - waiting until my wedding day in a few weeks' time to officially start wearing it!

And also hoping that straps help keep me from wanting another watch too soon, although I already have my eye on a few, including the Japanese racing edition speedy pro! :-O

Cheers!

bb58 likes this.
  16. bb58 May 27, 2015

Getting new straps will hold you off for a while, but once you're bitten by the bug it's only a matter of time:thumbsup: