Forums Latest Members

New Speedmasters: Is 44,25mm to big for daily wear?

1. MyLifeUncut Jun 26, 2017

Hi everyone,

over the course of two years I have come pretty close to buying the Speedmaster Co-Axial (caliber 9300) several times — I really do like this watch… But several things put me off: size and thickness, the matte bezel and lack of microadjustment on the clasp. Now, the new 2017 Speedmaster Racing (caliber 9900) seems to tick all of those boxes: It is thinner, has a shiny Liquid Metal bezel and will surely have an adjustable clasp as well. So now that itch is there again and it’s worse than before…

I know, I know… The new watches are not in the stores yet, so I am not asking you to tell me if I should buy one. But there is one question that I hope to get some help with: Is 44,25mm to large for me and should I disregard all present and future 44,25mm-Speedmasters once and for all because of it?

To weigh in on that question you need some more information, of course:

- Intended use: This would be the nicest watch I own and it would be on my wrist most of the time, almost daily I guess. I do not need a dressy watch in daily life (obviously ;) ) and have those rare occasions covered when I do. But I would wear this watch almost daily and in a variety of situations and with very different clothes.

- My wrist size is 17,5-18 cm or 7 inches, I am 1,90m / 6”3 tall, not big, not skinny (in my opinion height and physique is almost as important as wrist size to determine if you “can get away” with a larger watch). I also attached some wrist shots (bracelet is not sized of course).

I am interested to hear all your opinions and experiences: Is 44,25mm to large for me in general? Is it to large for daily wear because its uncomfortable? Will I nudge the watch to door handles and other objects all the time because of its size?

Thanks for weighing in!

Andreas

P.S.: I might end up buying a Rolex Explorer 214270 (2016 model with longer hands) instead if I decide against the Speedmaster. Somehow, that seems to be the “rational” choice (if buying watches in that price range can be considered rational) because IMO it is probably the most versatile watch on the planet. But it also is a little bit boring and I do see myself still lusting after the Speedmaster if I do. And now don’t tell me to get both, there are many vacations and other hobbies I need that money for so that is just not an option…

1.jpg 2.jpg

Edited Jun 26, 2017
    ahartfie and ras47 like this.
  2. sgrossma Jun 26, 2017

There are important things to consider - not just overall diameter. The bezel width and lugs greatly affect overall size appearance on the wrist. In any event, that Speedmaster looks good on you. I have a 7.5 inch wrist and generally wear up to a 45mm comfortably.

3. MyLifeUncut Jun 26, 2017

Very true, of course. I find that the Speedmasters wear a bit smaller than most other watches of the same size because of the "curved" case, the relatively moderate lug-to-lug distance and the well integrated bracelet endlinks. If this would be a second or third watch I would definitely get one...

4. base615 Jun 26, 2017

It's much too big for me (6.5" wrist) but looks fine on you.

That's similar to how a Moonwatch looks on my wrist and for years I thought it was a bit too big but these days I think it's just right.

MyLifeUncut likes this.
  5. Riviera Paradise Jun 26, 2017

I think it looks great on you. If you had a smaller wrist I would recommend buying a black dial Speedy with a black leather strap as it does seem to make the watch look smaller.

I think the Explorer is a great watch (love mine), but this new Speedy Racing on a bracelet will probably provide more satisfaction for you (based on your post) as your main luxury watch.

Do you have any specific Speedy racing in mind?

MyLifeUncut likes this.
  6. MyLifeUncut Jun 26, 2017

If only I knew. The Explorer is a great everyday watch and I just don't know if the same can be said about the Speedmaster. On the other hand, as much as I am drawn to the simple design of the Explorer, the Speedmaster just seems more interesting somehow. The caliber 9900 is much more interesting from a technical perspective, especially. Then again, the Rolex would probably have better resale value if I want to change my decision later. Argh...

I would probably get the black dial version, which is closest to the original Speedmaster design. I will definitely buy it with the bracelet but might experiment with straps as well.

Speedmaster 9900 black 1.png

7. Riviera Paradise Jun 26, 2017

Yes the Speedy is more interesting and has a date and quick hour set hand for when you are crossing time zones. The Explorer is classy and understated.

You probably already know this, but if you intend to purchase the Speedy at retail pricing, be prepared to hold the watch for longer. If you buy it pre-owned or on the grey market I don't think you will see any significant depreciation compared to the Rolex.

I am also looking at the Basel 2017 Racing. Have not seen them live yet. Not sure which one to choose between these two:
    L1100328-Omega-Booth-Baselworld-2017.jpg

Probably leaning to the black dial with orange accents as I am looking for a more sporty look and it has the closest links to the original speedy racing roots. White dial also looks great in the photos I've seen so far.

I do think that for an all purpose watch (casual / business) the pure black dial option you are thinking of would be the best choice.

ras47 and MyLifeUncut like this.
  8. Df13 Jun 26, 2017

It's simply a matter of style. I'm nearly the exact same size as you (6'2" with 6 7/8" wrist,) and I don't like much with a bezel over 40mm, even in sports watches. My daily watches have been a 36mm DateJust, a 40mm Sub, an 40mm Exp II and a 39.2mm Aqua Terra 2500 (my favorite on perlon.)

In fact, my right wrist is a little larger at 7", and I think all my watches look better on that side...I swear that arm is bigger simply from tennis. lol

Edited Jun 26, 2017
    MyLifeUncut likes this.
  9. e_shayne_b Jun 26, 2017

It looks pretty amazing... If you have the funds readily available, I would pull the trigger.

MyLifeUncut likes this.
  10. ras47 Jun 26, 2017

I don't think 44.25mm is too big for a 7 1/2" wrist. Here's mine, the Co-Axial Moonwatch Chrono at 44.25mm, on my 7 3/4" wrist. It's my daily driver and it's nearly perfect for me. I'd like it if the watch had a metal back that would shave a couple mm off the thickness as the glass back is a bit of a bubble shape and makes the watch sit kind of high. But the case diameter is wonderful, especially on a nylon strap like the Zulu Diver I'm using now.

ZuluDiver1 - 1.jpg
    Vix and MyLifeUncut like this.
  11. ras47 Jun 26, 2017

Here's the included black leather strap that came with it. It's nowhere close to "too big."

In the second and third photos you can see the glass display back and how much it protrudes. I don't really ever look at the movement and I'd prefer an all metal back, especially if it cut the thickness a millimeter or two.

IMG_2123.jpg IMG_2124.jpg IMG_2125.jpg
    ahartfie, pianomankd and MyLifeUncut like this.
  12. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jun 26, 2017

Hi Andreas

Welcome to the OF. I hope the friendly folk convince you to stay.

That watch looks great on your wrist. The lugs do not extend over either end of your wrist, so it definitely is not too big. With regard to the thickness : the new ones are less than 1mm thinner (0.8mm according to ablogtowatch, but that might be wrong)...so 1mm on 16mm IMHO is nothing to write home about. Then : you are bound to find some 9300s mint at a good price too (I picked up mine for about the same price as a modern moonwatch)...something else worth thinking about. Judging by your pics, our arms are about the same dimensions...I don't find mine too big at all, I find it killer (and can't help staring at it half the time).

But those new racings are damned fine...tried them on too...fell in love :)

Good luck with your decisions!

Best regards,
    E

Edit : you are correct, more lustworthy than the Rolex
    IMG_1844.jpg IMG_1863.jpg

Edited Jun 26, 2017
  13. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Jun 26, 2017

No problem what so ever. Looks sharp!

MyLifeUncut likes this.
  14. Leandrobgoulart Jun 26, 2017

Looks perfect on you...

...it seems you wont settle down for the explorer and truly desires the speedy. Id go for it. If you dont, youll end up unsatisfied and will probably still want it.

MyLifeUncut likes this.
  15. Riviera Paradise Jun 27, 2017

@MyLifeUncut, one thing to bear in mind is that these new racing Speedies are water-resistant to only 50m (I think it might have something to do with using a thinner sapphire exhibition case back), with the Explorer water-resistant to 100m.

So if you want a watch you can use on the beach, swimming pool...the Explorer would be the better safer option. Of course, you could use a Seiko Diver, G-shock or no watch at all in those situations....

MyLifeUncut likes this.
  16. KJH666 Jun 27, 2017

My new Speedmaster 44.25m with exhibition caseback is has a depth rating of 100m. I wonder why there is an inconsistency.

IMG_3707.JPG
    MyLifeUncut likes this.
  17. Riviera Paradise Jun 27, 2017

I can only imagine it was a necessary sacrifice to get the sapphire case back height down. I do agree it is a bit inconsistent for Omega to put a more dressy 44.25mm version with a moonphase, rated at 100m...and a sporty black and orange dial racing version, rated at only 50m.

For me it is not a deal breaker and I do prefer the slimmer case profile on the racing versions.
    Omega-Speedmaster-Racing-Master-Chronometer-2017-aBlogtoWatch-22.jpg

MyLifeUncut likes this.
  18. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jun 27, 2017

Great pic of the difference i.e. the case-back-crystal...:thumbsup:

MyLifeUncut likes this.
  19. Riviera Paradise Jun 27, 2017

MyLifeUncut likes this.
  20. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jun 27, 2017

For what its worth : comparison of the side profiles. Clear to see the difference in case-back. Not so clear to see if the made a few micrometers change in the crystal...

Profiles.png

ras47 and MyLifeUncut like this.