Forums Latest Members

New Speedmaster Professional question

1. Tim L Oct 14, 2016

Hi,

I have had my new Speedmaster for about 4 days. I have been winding it each morning around 0600. This morning my watch stopped at 0420. I thought that was kind of odd.

Is there a break in period for a new watch? It seems to be running fine now.

I have observed that winding is a bit stiffer than my other watches and I get about 20 winds before it stops.

I think I will just see how it performs over the net week. My plan is to wind it every morning.

Is there any value to letting it run down fully before I rewind? Will winding feel looser over time?

Thanks in advance for your input. Really beautiful watch.

2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 14, 2016

20 winds is too few. You should be able to wind far more than that. Try again and get back to us

3. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Oct 14, 2016

Wind it until it stops. You will feel resistance. That's when you stop

gemini4 likes this.
  4. Tim L Nov 2, 2016

After three weeks it seems much easier to wind fully. It is keeping time very well. I have not really tested the reserve. Very satisfied!

Foo2rama likes this.
  5. Sgt_Bilko Nov 3, 2016

I have a De Ville Prestige Cal 861 that would be similar. It takes around 80 winds from zero to be fully wound and the reserve is just over 48 hours from memory. Typically it requires around 40 winds once a day, which is more than other manual wind watches I have, but perfectly normal for this movement.

It does become progressively stiffer as you wind but comes to a natural halt very gently and you can't really hurt it unless you try forcing it with a pair of pliers, which I do not recommend... It sounds like your new watch possibly needed a little time for the oils to fully distribute but you have a wonderful watch there!

6. OhMegaMan Nov 5, 2016

Just curious, how many hrs you get on full wind? Mine is beyond the stated 48hrs. I got more like 51+ hrs

7. Sgt_Bilko Nov 5, 2016

I haven't checked my De Ville in some time but it has the same Cal 861 movement found in Speedmasters. It was definitely over 48 hours and probably around 51 hours like yours. I don't actually wear it that often and it could do with a service. My father's Speedmaster lasts over 48 hours on a full wind.

8. jtroisi Mar 6, 2017

I have just had the same problem. I bought a brand new Speedmaster Professional from an AD and it was not running the next day. i just figured it ran out of power and may not have been fully wound, so I wound it fully. The next morning it was not running again, so I wound it up but noticed I could only wind it 15 half turns. Then I noticed it was 10 mins behind within the hour, but was running. I reset the watch and it was find. This morning I woke up to see that the watch had stopped at 1:12AM as it was running when I went to bed at 10:00PM. I went to wind it up again it it only took 20 half turns. Then about 10 mins later the seconds hand stopped moving so I gave the crown a jiggle forward and it started again and reset it. this was at exactly 6:00AM this morning. By 6:30, it was 2 minutes slow. I'm guessing that it stopped and started again on its own. I have heard from many Speedy owners that their watches take around 40 360 degree revolutions to fully wind. Therefore, this watch has got to be stopping before the power reserve is depleted. This is severely disappinting from a brand new watch that is most tested model of watch on earth and is qualified for NASA astronauts to trust their missions on it's timekeeping. I'm bringing it back to the AD this afternoon. Just ridiculous altogether.

9. Sgt_Bilko Mar 6, 2017

Something is clearly wrong with your new Speedy and I wouldn't hesitate to have it fixed under warranty or ask for a replacment. I'm always wary of brand new items that go in for repair.

10. jtroisi Mar 6, 2017

I think I'm going to simply ask for a replacement. It's ridiculous how many things are not working with it.

11. Sgt_Bilko Mar 6, 2017

Sounds reasonable. Watches like that just shouldn't leave the factory, let alone the dealer.