Forums Latest Members

New Speedmaster, Concave Crystal?

1. wadesw0rld Jun 10, 2019

Hey folks, just picked up my first Speedmaster Professional a couple weeks ago. I've been noticing via the reflections of small light sources that the center of the hesalite crystal, where the logo is etched, is slightly concave. My phone camera doesn't seem to be able to show it effectively but I'm certain. Is this normal? I've been researching but unsuccessful so far. Thanks!

2. mmrols Jun 10, 2019

Does it look like mine? Should be a flat surface. Did you buy your watch new with the original crystal?

IMG_20190610_071438.jpg
    wadesw0rld likes this.
  3. ext1 Jun 10, 2019

Should be flat. Sounds like your crystal may have been polished at that area.

wadesw0rld likes this.
  4. wadesw0rld Jun 10, 2019

Bought it new from Omega, so it's unlikely it was polished @ext1.

@mmrols I don't know if the angle you showed can pick up the concave because it's very slight, but I was able to capture what I'm referring to by moving the watch further from the light and the camera further from the watch. The light across the center (ignore the other two) is from a single bulb.

IMG_20190610_115346.jpg

5. Neil_kman Jun 10, 2019

Looks a bit weird I’d agree that might of been polished. Shouldn’t be concave

wadesw0rld likes this.
  6. ext1 Jun 10, 2019

That is odd..

But anyway if it bothers you, you can get a new crystal for cheap. Especially if you picked up new from omega they'll be happy to swap for you.

Foo2rama and wadesw0rld like this.
  7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 10, 2019

Looks like a mfg error. Should be replaced under warranty. It came out of the mold early and slumped. Or thermal expansion during cooling caused it to warp.

Edited Jun 10, 2019
  8. Evitzee Jun 10, 2019

Definitely a defect, surprised that got through final inspection unless the damage occurred after it left Omega and it was 'fixed' by someone. Take it back, there shouldn't be any problem. I would ask for a new watch and not a crystal replacement.

9. CJpickup57 Jun 10, 2019

Why? Bit of a stretch for a cosmetic issue that requires quite a simple replacement procedure and is fully covered under warranty. Not trying to be rude, just wondering why you would push for that if it was yours is all.

10. Evitzee Jun 10, 2019

Because you don't know the history of the damage, did it occur at the factory or did it happen after it left the factory? Was the crystal deformed somehow by heat somewhere along the way? Was this bad crystal a replacement for the original one? We just don't know. I would just return it, show them the damage and ask for a new one. It's a reasonable request in my book. You should get a pristine watch when you buy from an AD or OB not one that needs immediate intervention, but since the owner has now had the watch for a couple of weeks there will be pushback. If he would have taken it back within the first couple of days he would be in a stronger position.

Spacefruit, Walrus and CJpickup57 like this.
  11. whyboddau Jun 18, 2019

Curious what the decision is after all this...to send in for warranty repair? Or....

12. wadesw0rld Jun 18, 2019

Thanks for all the input everyone! Took it to a boutique in NYC and they are sending it in for warranty repair. There were one or two other issues I also mentioned, one being a rattling noise when the watch is gently shaken. Will update when I hear or get it back.

13. Evitzee Jun 18, 2019

Keep us posted, hope it won't be too long a wait to get it set right.