New Speedmaster 38 Noise questions?

Good afternoon/evening to you all,

I recently acquired my first luxury time piece, the Omega Speedmaster 38, and have been quite happy with it. I was curious about the amount of noise that it should be making. Perhaps I didnt notice it at first, but when I rotate my wrist (think the watching face pointing up and then down), I hear a winding noise that I didn't notice before. It is quite loud IMO, but this is my first luxury watch, so I am unsure if that is common. Clearly it sounds like the rotor or whatever back there, but the winding noise is quite noticeable now that I have noticed it. Does this sound right?

That caliber is based on the Valjoux 775* and the rotor only winds the watch in one direction. When it spins in the other direction it can keep going for a long time, be noisy, and cause a gyroscopic wobble. Look up “Valjoux wobble”. It’s quite disconcerting the first time you experience it, but it is perfectly normal. If you shake your wrist a lot and get the rotor spinning in the non-winding direction, it feels like the watch is alive on your wrist!

In short, nothing to worry about.

Like 1
That caliber is based on the Valjoux 775* and the rotor only winds the watch in one direction. When it spins in the other direction it can keep going for a long time, be noisy, and cause a gyroscopic wobble. Look up “Valjoux wobble”. It’s quite disconcerting the first time you experience it, but it is perfectly normal. If you shake your wrist a lot and get the rotor spinning in the non-winding direction, it feels like the watch is alive on your wrist!

In short, nothing to worry about.
Thank you very much for the reply. It did feel like the watch was alive on my wrist lol.

I'm wondering about the same. Noise looks quite loud and vibration definitely quite high. Dealer says it works as expected. Thoughts?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7Xb5pZg3ubrK8XfL6

Yes, that is the Valjoux wobble. Nothing to be concerned with. Any watch based on that movement will behave similarly when the rotor starts moving in the non-winding direction. It’s a “feature” not a problem. :)

Thanks a lot, you are much more reassuring that the dealer :). I decided to keep it since I absolutely love the watch.

Thanks a lot, you are much more reassuring that the dealer :). I decided to keep it since I absolutely love the watch.

Lol I was having the same questions in my mind. I have been reassured by many people that the noise is normal and that I just wasn't used to it. I am used to it now!