Forums Latest Members
  1. R3D9 Apr 20, 2017

As a lifelong Nikon loyalist, this new release from Sony makes me sad, disappointed, jealous, envious, and not nearly wealthy enough all at the same time.

If the hype is real, this might be the first mirrorless system I'd truly consider buying into.

It'll be interesting to see how it performs in the hands of unbiased photogs and I'm skeptical that it will match the best from Nikon in terms of AF speed (which has always been the main sticking point for me with mirrorless).

2. yinzerniner Apr 21, 2017

I always thought the hierarchy for the big-time camera players was:
    -Canon for value
    -Nikon for handling and use
    -Leica for status

It appears that Sony has finally decided to take on all three with the A9. As an avowed low-level amateur the three e-mounts I've used have been great, but I've known that the majority of pros would never shift over because of the crap menus, so-so autofocus, weird handling and dodgy weather sealing. It looks like A9 is trying to do what the 5D Mark II did.

3. ICONO Apr 21, 2017

I beg to amend your description

Leica for sheer quality

I very much doubt that Sony lenses, can lay a glove on Leica glass

4. yinzerniner Apr 21, 2017

Sony-only made lenses no, but their partnership with Zeiss has come up with some incredible glass. The 55 1.8 is insanely great, for roughly 1/4 a comparable Leica.

But Leica's "status" as the near pinnacle of camera and lens quality is more than well earned, although nowadays comparable quality can be had for much less. Kinda similar to a certain "O" branded watch manufacturer whose forum we're now on commenting on......:thumbsup:

trama likes this.
  5. R3D9 Apr 21, 2017

I'd agree with you if all we were considering was the lens lineup - on that front Leica is untouchable. In my opinion their lineup of camera bodies let them down somewhat. Grain of salt being my use of Leica gear is limited to sporadic use of a Leica-junkie's gear during the odd photo trip :)

trama likes this.
  6. trama Apr 22, 2017

Amazingly high-tech stuff I must say. I applaud those bold companies who spend so much on R&D. I still shoot a lot of film though haha. I have invested too much time (and money) into getting comfortable with the few systems I use to consider switching over to a new one. I can't wait to see side by side comparisons soon, my buddies and I all go out on photographic expeditions together and have a great time trying out each others gear. We have a pretty good brand and tech spread, with very different approaches to capturing images (or creating in post). I usually bring glass primes from the 70's, 80's and 90's. I also throw in a few modern zooms with a couple of different bodies. Others dual-wield the latest and greatest digital offerings from all major brands.

If it (the Sony) has issues with AF speed as some have said earlier, that wouldn't be a big deal for me. I usually end up switching to MF out of old (probably bad) habits. It is all about priorities in the end. I don't give a whit about GPS, smartphone control, or articulated touchscreens. Others I know? They love it and have such a great time! I guess that is what the whole point is in the end.

R3D9 likes this.