Forums Latest Members

New Seamaster I got from an antique market, is it good?

1. mj24453 Apr 13, 2018

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and new to Omegas in general. I first got a Seiko watch and then an Oris but now I was interested in Omega vintage watches, so I was browsing around and picked up this Seamaster. It was an impulse buy... but I notice some issues with the lugs being like cut away.

Any information about this watch? What year you think it's from etc and if it's a total lemon or not... I won't tell what I paid until you let me know what I should have paid :D

I put it on a new Hirsch strap and the time seems to be keeping really good like 10-20sec a day but I'm watching it!

IMG_1065.JPG IMG_1066.JPG IMG_1067.JPG IMG_1068.JPG IMG_1069.JPG
  2. redpcar Apr 13, 2018

Probably had one of these on there for many years. Crushes the value.
    upload_2018-4-13_21-11-53.jpeg

Uniqez likes this.
  3. ulackfocus Apr 13, 2018

Good as in authentic? Seems to be.

Good as in good condition? Well, not so much. However, if it was cheap enough then you did alright.

4. 77deluxe Apr 13, 2018

Good and terrible.

5. TropicConnie Apr 13, 2018

Looks like you won't be telling us what you paid then. The only one who can tell you what you should pay is yourself - price is in the eye of the beholder.

As redpcar said, the watch was almost certainly on a flexible bracelet, or any bracelet with spring loaded endpieces. Generally these were made from steel topped with gold (plated, capped, filled, etc), which wore away at the soft gold surface of the case and then into the soft brass underneath. As it is, it's not overly collectible, but if you can find a case in better condition then the dial looks okay and it seems the movement is alright too, so you could potentially do a transplant. Seems like a money pit to me though and it will kill the value even more.

6. mj24453 Apr 14, 2018

Well I paid 600 Canadian so it seems to be decent but I'm not so sure now. I really enjoy having a watch that's older than me though!

7. padders Oooo subtitles! Apr 14, 2018

Looks to be a mid-late 1960s model, if you can have the back taken off and record the numbers we could tell you for definite.

So about £340 then. If it doesn’t need a service that is ok I guess for a nice classic piece. If it does need movement work you overpaid though. The lugs could be improved but it would cost big and not really be worth it.

Edited Apr 14, 2018
  8. TropicConnie Apr 14, 2018

With lugs like that and an uncertain service history, I'd have passed at $200 but that's just my opinion. A decade or so ago I had a gold plated Seamaster that had none of the lug wear yours has, I think I paid about $200 from memory. I don't think that ten years later I'd be willing to pay 3 times the price for a relatively heavily worn example.

Enchanted and ConElPueblo like this.