Forums Latest Members

New Seamaster Aqua Terra Chronometer Certificate question

1. davessworks Sep 11, 2016

I just purchased a new Seamaster Aqua Terra. I was surprised not to receive a Chronometer Certificate card with the watch. I understand Omega has gone back and forth on this but had heard they were including them again.

I'd be interested if anyone has recently bought the same watch? If so, what was your experience?

2. w.finkenstaedt Sep 11, 2016

The only chronometer certificates Omega is including is with Master Chronometer certified watches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. davessworks Sep 11, 2016

Right. I thought that's what this was It says Master Coaxial Chronometer on the dial.

4. w.finkenstaedt Sep 11, 2016

No. The 8500 calibre never goes to METAS. Only the 8900. The 8500G is simply a COSC chronometer with nickel phosphorus parts making the movement immune to the effects of magnetism. No extra testing.

5. davessworks Sep 11, 2016

Got it - thanks for the help on this. I was confused as I've seen 8500 caliber watches shown with Chronometer Certificate cards (see below).

Cards-Other.jpg
    Edited Sep 11, 2016
  6. Longitude Sep 11, 2016

I bought a new Aquaterra from an AD in May this 2016 and Omega only provided 1 red card with the pictograms. I asked the same question as you as I was lead to believe in the beginning that it was certified in the same way as the Globe Master. The certifications names are confusing: Master coaxial= COSC certification; Master Chronometer=COSC +Metas.

Sent via Tapatalk

davessworks likes this.
  7. Cosd Sep 11, 2016

I bought my Aqua terra in January and was told by omega tat the watch is not certified

davessworks likes this.
  8. davessworks Sep 11, 2016

A little more research on my part suggests that a COSC chronometer has been submitted for COSC testing and that specific results are recorded. Therefore a certificate should be available. Whether or not Omega chooses to provide that information is another matter I suppose. The downside of including a means of accessing it might be that watches may be screened at the point of purchase.

Edited Sep 11, 2016
  9. davessworks Sep 13, 2016

I guess I'll simply have to settle for the fact that my new watch appears to be losing no more than 2 seconds a week. Bummer ;-)

10. speedbird Sep 13, 2016

Don't you just hate it when your watch is perfect! Felt that way about my AT. Sold it when I went after my Rolex OP39. Miss that damn thing every day.

davessworks likes this.
  11. mdgrwl Sep 13, 2016

Not all new AT's, even master come with the card. Not sure why... but that's how it goes.

12. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 13, 2016

That was my impression too. It seems random which watches get the COSC cert number card. I seem to remember something about being able to request it.

13. davessworks Sep 14, 2016

From Omega:

Kindly note that as of 02/2013, the separate Chronometer Certificate cards are no longer shipped with our watches. However, please be aware that the COSC symbol will still appear on the pictogram card to indicate that your timepiece has passed all COSC testing.

14. Cosd Sep 15, 2016

Yes, but if you want to log into the website to look at the testing reslults, you can't without the details which you would normally get with the certificate.

davessworks likes this.
  15. w.finkenstaedt Sep 15, 2016

COSC has a website where you can check that?

In any case, it's kind of moot for a normal chronometer, as it's literally just the movement tested, no dial, hands, or rotor even. COSC puts blank dials and hands on every movement and test that way.

A lot can change between COSC and getting the piece in your hand, so it's not really an amazing test anyway; that's why Omega is doing METAS and Rolex is doing their own in-house testing.

Ps as far as I know the only info on the old chronometer cards was ref and serial. So you should really only need that to check, if COSC does indeed have a site for it.

16. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 15, 2016

My feeling is they moved away from COSC for cost reasons and in a response to each other for marketing reasons.

Also I would not say a lot happens between COSC and you getting the watch. As I've never heard of one being out of spec when purchased.

17. w.finkenstaedt Sep 15, 2016

Omega and Rolex still COSC certifies even METAS/Superlative Chronometer watches, so I don't think it's cost.

18. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 15, 2016

I thought they are moving away from COSC as they scale up.

19. davessworks Sep 15, 2016

Not quite - although that may be true for the older cards. The new ones have an access code. See the following link to access test results:

https://www.omegawatches.com/myomega/metas/form-ref/

(and yes, I do see that the link path refers to metas)

access_code.jpg
    Edited Sep 15, 2016
    iatacs19 likes this.
  20. w.finkenstaedt Sep 15, 2016

You're linking to Master Chronometer test results. Even if the watch says "Master Co-axial Chronometer" it won't have access to that. It would have to say "Co-axial Master Chronometer" for the results to be available, as only Master Chronometers have gone through METAS testing.

It's similar to Rolex's Superlative Chronometer certification, only METAS is overseen by the Swiss government and the Rolex testing isn't.