Forums Latest Members
  1. Jimmy Lawrence Mar 23, 2015

Hello All,

I'm totally new to this forum, and I'm also a totally new Omega owner (two days now). I decided to start watch collecting a couple of months ago but decided to buy a Speedmaster Pro as my first. This would require some saving up (I'm a PhD student, so I'm as poor as they come). However, I was dying for something to admire while I wait. I live in Berlin Germany, and it turns out vintage watches flow in the streets like beer. I decided to buy this Seamaster 600 because it only cost me 240 Euro. I also see the guys who sold it to me every weekend, selling their watches at an antique market (so I know where to find them). Anyways, I brought the watch to the Omega boutique store today to let them take a look. They liked it, and said it was in "good shape". Unfortunately the watchmaker is currently attending Baselworld, so I couldn't get a "real" expert opinion. The nice salesman there said "we can make it look and work like brand new". It already keeps good time, I notice an approximate one minute loss for every 24 hours. The work would include the usual overhaul of the movement and replacing all that is normally replaced. Also, new crystal and even gold plating can be done. I won't get an exact quote till the watchmaker returns, but he guessed everything would be around 800 Euro. This sounded like a great deal to me. To have a, pretty much, new Omega Seamaster 600 for 1,040 Euro (including a two year warranty). I'm very tempted to do this, but this will undoubtedly delay my purchace of the Speedy for another year or two. Is this worth it? As of right now, I think it is. I know collectors like all original parts, but I just want a slice of masterpiece on my wrist. My girlfriend said it looked like a cheap crap watch (in its present condition). I think the watch deserves a return back home for some needed love, and then be admired till the day comes that I bring home a new sibling. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks in advance!

DSCN2461.JPG DSCN2464.JPG DSCN2465.JPG DSCN2466.JPG DSCN2468.JPG DSCN2469.JPG
    By the way, I saw the movement before I bought it, and it looked good to my untrained eye. I don't have a proper tool to open the case myself, but I will most likely include photos of the movement and the upper side (inside) of the back case next week when I visit the Omega watchmaker for an official quote. Thanks again!

2. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Mar 23, 2015

Congratulations, on your watch and also for paying your new collectors school fees. Search the sales forum here for omega seamaster 600 and you may learn why investing another few hundred € is probably not a great idea

3. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Mar 23, 2015

For that princely sum, you could buy a much nicer example of this same watch, and still have money left over. And, if you do spend it on this watch, it will still be worth far less than you will have put into it.

If you want to keep it, get it serviced (by an independent not Omega), replace nothing, and enjoy this one for what it is.. an honest vintage piece that shows its age. Put the rest towards your ultimate goal of a vintage Speedmaster.

4. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Mar 23, 2015

Brace yourself for the "official quote". In my opinion, the Omega refurbishing regime of turning old watches into new is not very sympathetic to the original standard. For example, I haven't seen a good refinishing job on a dial from Omega in any Sixties piece I had the opportunity to examine.

I'm expecting the movement to be a handwind caliber 601, a robust engine but not particularly sought-after by collectors. You may be lucky in respect to replacement parts as Omega may well have the correct parts for this watch.

However for 1040 Euros you could get much better. A nice Gold capped or stainless steel Omega Constellation from the Sixties, for example, and a much better 'quality' watch than a Seamaster 600 (a good workhorse watch of its time, but not in the league of a Constelation)

So while I wouldn't spend much money on the 600, I would keep it as a daily banger, but would keep my eyes open for something more special.

Regards

Desmond

5. ulackfocus Mar 23, 2015

Hi Jimmy. Welcome to Omega Forums! How's your sister Jennifer doing? She's cute! ::love::

6. Jimmy Lawrence Mar 23, 2015

I'm very glad I joined this forum. I'm very thankful for all the informed advice. Getting my Speedmaster Pro sooner than later does sound like a better option. I'll get this cleaned up a little bit and keep it as a beator. I'll still go get the quote to see what he says. Thanks again!

By the way ulackfocus, my sister Jennifer is doing well. But everyone says I got the good looks in the family...

7. Hijak Mar 23, 2015

1040 Euros, that's crazy, don't spend that kind of money on that watch. You could pay a little more than half that for something like this...
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Your best bet is to enjoy it as it is. Before you buy anything else do your homework and ask advice, it will save you a great deal of money in the long run!

8. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 23, 2015