Forums Latest Members

FS NEW- RCAF Chronographs Collector Reference Book

1. RCAFBuster Dec 29, 2015

Dear Omega Forum,

After numerous years of collecting and researching RCAF Chronographs, I've realised my dream to publish a book for the collecting community. I trust that all collectors will find my information useful and rewarding. Pertinent to this site, the RCAF Omega HA60 and HA62 are covered.

With a view to supply RCAF Chronographs to the European market, I will accept Paypal to alleviate the limitations of amazon.ca. (I understand that a couple of credit card orders have been cancelled by them).

Please remit the equivalent of CAD$ 132.10 (this covers the purchase price, overseas shipping and paypal fee) to [email protected].

Message that it is for the purchase of RCAF Chronographs and ensure you full mailing address is included.

Thanks for your understanding and patience.

Cheers,
    Buster

http://www.amazon.ca/dp/0994987102

Chronograph photo.jpg

Edited Jan 2, 2016
    ELV web, Giff2577, kyle L and 22 others like this.
  2. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Dec 29, 2015

Well done Buster Darren!

3. RCAFBuster Dec 29, 2015

Thanks Gemini,
    I'm really looking forward to hearing from collectors once they've digested the information.
    Cheers,
    Buster

4. watchlovr Dec 30, 2015

Well done D.

5. Ludi Dec 30, 2015

Excellent job Captain :thumbsup: . Is it available in EU countries ?

6. RCAFBuster Dec 30, 2015

Hi Ludi,

My publisher is just trying to sort this out, with postage costs too. We've got Canada covered with amazon.ca and we're waiting for amazon.com to activate to cover the USA. I'll ask him what needs to be done for the EU and report back.

Cheers,
    Buster

7. Ludi Dec 30, 2015

Excellent, looking forward to it :thumbsup:

8. LarryG not KennyG, not OG, just LarryG Dec 30, 2015

Congrats!
    Looking forward to seeing it and finding a rare Rodana in its pages.
    Best,
    Larry

9. RCAFBuster Dec 30, 2015

Hi Larry,
    You will certainly find a rare Rodana, resplendent in its' pages.
    All the best for 2016 mate,
    Darren

10. Northernman Lemaniac Dec 30, 2015

Seems ordering is not a problem to Norway:)

11. RCAFBuster Jan 1, 2016

Hi Ludi,
    At the moment, the publisher is not selling to Europe due to postage costs. As they must be shipped tracked this is coming in about CDN$60 per unit.
    Sincerely,
    Buster

12. Northernman Lemaniac Jan 1, 2016

I see no need for tracked shipping on a relatively low value object.
    Here is how it checked out with regular snail-mail to Norway:
    image.jpeg

Now it's down to the postie and my lack of patience!
    :)

CdnWatchDoc likes this.
  13. RCAFBuster Jan 2, 2016

Hi Anders,
    Yes, you are correct in that Amazon took the order with postage at $14.98. The reality is that actual postage was $43.00. This becomes unsustainable for me, so I must try and sort out something for the EU countries.
    Cheers,
    Buster

14. Northernman Lemaniac Jan 2, 2016

Are you tied in with Amazon?
    Should be possible to find a distributor over here?
    Shipping 50 or so books should not be a 2000cad task!?
    Btw I am not in the EU.

15. RCAFBuster Jan 2, 2016

Amazon was the initial good idea as they handled all funds etc. I'm rapidly investigating other ideas, or maybe getting a lot sent to me address private sales and Europe in general.
    Cheers,
    Buster

16. Northernman Lemaniac Jan 2, 2016

Sounds like a great plan!
    Perhaps some members in here are dealing in books or watch related items in Europe and could take it on?

17. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 2, 2016

Big congratulations on the book, and best of luck with it all.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

18. RCAFBuster Jan 2, 2016

Dear Forum members,

With a view to supply RCAF Chronographs to the European market, I will accept Paypal to alleviate the limitations of amazon.ca. (I understand that a couple of credit card orders have been cancelled by them).

Please remit the equivalent of CAD$ 132.10 (this covers the purchase price, overseas shipping and paypal fee) to [email protected].

Message that it is for the purchase of RCAF Chronographs and ensure you full mailing address is included.

Thanks for your understanding and patience.

RCAFBuster

19. RCAFBuster Jan 15, 2016

My book is now getting out to the collecting community, and is being favourably received. The independent reviews indicate that my passion to pen my work for chronograph collectors was well founded.

“An in-depth review of these rare & true military designed chronographs. Crabb has put some effort into this book & it's the only publication on the subject that I've ever seen. Spanning from the end of WWII up until the early 80's, these pieces were issued to the Canadian Air Force, Navy & Royal Navy, long before cheap black plastic watches became standard in the Military. They are somewhat difficult to come by today. Great photos & text, I highly recommend this book to anyone with an interest in the subject. Crabb served a Fighter Pilot in the RCAF & RAAF. His interest in this subject appears to have started after he was issued an unmarked Breitling one button pusher when he started his Pilots course in 1982. They don't hand out these in clothing stores anymore, that's for sure”.

“Surely this book is THE definitive resource for the collector of RCAF chronographs. I only own one of these fine watches, and learned many things that I did not know about it from Cptn Crabb's new book, but reading about the other suppliers of these timepieces was also of interest to me as a collector of military watches in general. It's evident that he writes from the heart, and has a personal passion for the subject matter. I've never met Cptn Crabb, but I can imagine that sitting down with him and poring over his collection and this book over a pint or two would be an experience to savor. This book is the next best thing”.

“Just received my copy.
    I am very impressed and pleased to see the attention to detail and structure!
    It now sits together with the other “big ones” as reference on military chronographs.
    Warmly recommended”!

“I wanted to share a brief review of this new reference book dedicated to the chronographs issued by the Royal Canadian Air Force. The book is the work of retired RCAF pilot Captain Darren “Buster” Crabb, CD who goes by the name of “RCAFBuster” on many of the forums. I never thought I would see a reference book dedicated to such a specific uncommon watch, but am quite happy as the owner of one of the relatively rare chronographs.
    For those that are unfamiliar, the chronographs were issued to RCAF pilots from roughly the 1950’s to 1990’s. Most had unsigned dials and were supplied by several different manufacturers. The most sought after by collectors are the models made by Omega and Breitling while those made by Rodania are most common. I believe mine to be a less common Birks, though I am not 100% positive.
    The book starts with a several page history of the unique, but bland chronographs issued by the RCAF. Also listed is all known manufacturers along with movement references and production estimates (when known). The book then details every example from Buster’s large collection. Examples are grouped by manufacturer and include pictures of the watches and movements as well as unique details of each. The book closes with examples of standard issue straps for the chronographs which use spring bars instead of the fixed lugs found more commonly on military issue watches.
    Overall, the book is a must have for anyone who owns or is interested in RCAF, RAF, or RAAF chronographs. However, it is probably a little too focused to keep the casual watch fan interested”.

Thanks for your support.
    Buster

20. RCAFBuster Feb 20, 2016

Bump.